How Cool is Technology?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Cool is Technology?

I'm typing and posting this while on an airplane some 37,000 feet over the Atlantic. I'm sitting with my feet semi up, sipping a whiskey, reading TG posts on my laptop, and can't even hear the sound of the engines thrusting us into midnight through my noise cancelling headphones. This is the height of the digital age: wireless Internet aboard an Airbus 330 in flight, connected via satellite to the rest of the world.

So since my corporate VPN won't work and I can't be productive, tell me what your latest tech wonderment does. What is your latest gadget, what do you have tricked out, or what impresses you of late? What is the greatest new piece of technology that has changed your world?
    Last edited by Boot; 01-14-2006, 08:12 PM.

Re: How Cool is Technology?

electric can opener... nuff said

Comment

Anyone notice that the most important part of that post was aged over 12 years?

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap
        I'm typing and posting this while on an airplane some 37,000 feet over the Atlantic. I'm sitting with my feet semi up, sipping a whiskey, reading TG posts on my laptop, and can't even hear the sound of the engines thrusting us into midnight through my noise cancelling headphones. This is the height of the digital age: wireless Internet aboard an Airbus 330 in flight, connected via satellite to the rest of the world.

So since my corporate VPN won't work and I can't be productive, tell me what your latest tech wonderment does. What is your latest gadget, what do you have tricked out, or what impresses you of late? What is the greatest new piece of technology that has changed your world?
        Who is the carrier you're flying? I'll need to remember this the next time I have to take a flight for work!
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

these make riding in a military aircraft like riding in a car...noise cancellation FTW...i gotta love it...my new favorite toy....if only i could splice them to my PC...

Comment

why couldnt you. or are they special connectors?

cause they just look like 1/4 to me and you can get reducers down to 1/8
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              why couldnt you. or are they special connectors?

cause they just look like 1/4 to me and you can get reducers down to 1/8
              ahhhm...well...its complicated

1) those(pictured)are (i think) regular commerical aero-style plugins... not compatible with PCs

2)the ones I use arnt those but I have a choice between two other military style connectors

3) if I were to order one of those connectors from David Clark, it would cost $100

4)So, if I ordred the 100 dollar piece of cord, and bought soldering material and regular PC jacks, I COULD INFACT splice it....

too bad i dont know how to solder

Comment

rgr...to stay on topic i would have to say my george foreman grill. i just got it for christmas and it is AMAZING..Burgers in 8 minutes, love it!
                -Vulcan

Comment

You CAN splice it into your PC with about $15 worth of parts from Radio Shack.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

i thought so. radio shack has everything includeing the pushy sales people.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      Who is the carrier you're flying? I'll need to remember this the next time I have to take a flight for work!
                      I'm on Scandinavian Airlines -- SAS for short. It's a great airline: food and service get high marks from me. If you can't fly business class, at least spring for the extra little bit to get their Economy Flex service. You sit at the front of Economy in a slightly larger chair that has laptop power, and you can make changes to your ticket without restrictions (great for those unpredictable meeting schedules).

I have 100,000 miles on American but for these long hauls I've switched my loyalty to SAS. They fly from Chicago and New York to Copehagen and Stockholm. If your destination is in the top half of Europe, it's a great way to fly.

Comment

My favorite new piece of kit is some very old guitar speakers and amp. They were given "free to a good home" from someone at a friend's office.

At first I thought the amp was rubbish. There was a lot of fuzz and it is a guitar amp not designed forhigh and low tones so unsuitable for playing music. I didn't have another amp or the money lying around to buy one so the speakers went unused.

A while ago we had a party and wanted a big soundsystem. We took the stereo output from a laptop, split it into two mono signals using a home soldered cable insulted with selotape. We then sent one signal into this guitar amp (top in middle) which went into the speakers (edges) and another into a bass guitar amp (bottom in middle) resulting in loud and relatively balanced sound. It looked like this:

I couldn't keep the base amp though so it wasn't permenant.

Anyway, one day my friend happend to plug this bodged splitter cable into two inputs on the guitar amp and lo and behold out came a nice clean sound. It appears that whatever problems each input had cancelled each other out.

Long story short, plugged a random cable in and ended up with a free, powerful speaker system to replace my desktop speakers. :)
                        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Although quite old, an electronic stud finder (I can hear the jokes already) has made my life much easier lately. My drywall agrees.
                          |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

id say the ipod was my biggest technological revolution.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_Swift
                              Although quite old, an electronic stud finder (I can hear the jokes already) has made my life much easier lately. My drywall agrees.
                              Does your wife agree too?

I couldn't resist... :icon_bigg

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...