X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God bless the Special Forces

Just got this from my father-in-law

December 9, 2005 (CNN)

While interviewing an anonymous US Special Forces soldier on his sniper skills, a Reuters News agent asked the soldier what he felt when shooting members of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

The soldier shrugged his shoulders and replied, “Recoil.”

Re: God bless the Special Forces

Not to invalidate the spirit of the contribution, but it would seem this is not true. I don't know the below to be correct beyond the credibility that comes along with any snopes.com reference.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/recoil.asp

Origins: We like our heroes larger than life, as this anecdote shows.

This account began arriving in the snopes.com inbox on 10 January 2006. Hunt about as we might, we have been unable to find mention of such an interview in newspaper or wire service archives (Reuters is a wire service) or through CNN's web site's search facility, on 9 December 2005 or any other date.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yeah, I've been hearing that one for years, but it's still a good one!

Comment

My father-in-law is really good at sending me emails that flunk the snopes test. I should have checked first.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          My father-in-law is really good at sending me emails that flunk the snopes test. I should have checked first.
          My father sent me Andy Roonie "quotes" just last week. Thanks, Snopes.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

How about a true story that IS in the spirit of the original post:

Via the Army Times:

CAMP H.M. SMITH — Even as Master Sgt. Suran Sar charged multiple enemy firing at him in the mountains of Afghanistan, he knew it wasn’t his turn to die. But he came within a hairbreadth. As Sar burst into a windowless wood-and-earthen mountain shelter near the Pakistan border, an enemy fighter fired a burst from his AK-47 at point-blank range.

Two of the bullets missed. A third creased Sar’s Kevlar helmet and snapped his chin strap. Sar won’t give the specifics of what happened next, but the Army Special Forces soldier collected a handful of firearms — most of which weren’t given voluntarily. And yesterday a Silver Star was pinned on Sar’s chest.

The awards were given voluntarily, they just weren't received voluntarily:

“He didn’t want this,” Army Brig. Gen. David P. Fridovich, commander of Special Operations Command-Pacific, said of the ceremony attended by more than 100 command members and local media.

The attention was not intended to embarrass Sar, 39, which it did. Rather, it was to recognize his achievements and “what he has given back to the nation,” Fridovich said.

In the style of all "Quiet Professionals", MSG Sar just wants to be left alone to do his job, but this is what most impresses me about MSG Sar:

Sar grew up in Cambodia under the oppression of the Khmer Rouge, which separated his family members by age, he said. His father was prosecuted by the Khmer Rouge and Vietnamese, and his older brother was executed by the Vietnamese.

Speaking in a quiet voice, Sar said his mom and two little brothers died of starvation.

He came to the United States in 1981, became a U.S. citizen five years later and has been in the Army for 20 years — the past 15 in Special Forces.

“I tell you, I love this country more than my birthplace,” Sar said. “I came from Cambodia and I lost (a lot) of my family there, and nobody here can tell me what it’s like, the loss of freedom. ... This country gave me so much, and this is a small price to pay, the long deployments away from home.”
            New to TG?

Comment

Squid, good catch.

On the snopes thing...well, my mom sends me a bunch of stuff that always fails the snopes test. I would also like to point out that just because one website can't find a quote does not mean that it should be labeled as false. I prefer "unsubstantiated"
              "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
              [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Ooohhh... good point, Pickle. I like that, too.

Comment

Even if the original quote is not true, it makes for a good joke! :D

As for Master Sgt. Sar, he's got one hell of a chip on his shoulder. I'm glad I'm not on the business end of his weapon. All the same, he really can appreciate freedom so much more than most. That's a great "Coming to America" story.
                  |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X