• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theoriginalblankman
    started a topic Terrorism for tots

Terrorism for tots

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/01....ap/index.html

I don't think it's such a bad idea to keep the kids a little aware but it's like what are we becoming?

Do they really need to bunch the terrorism prep with the natural disaster prep as if terrorism was as common as an earthquake? It's like were teaching the kids to be afraid of something that is most likely never going to directly effect them.

I shouldn't be that pissed about it, it's only a little thing. But I keep on envisioning u.s. on a steadfast track to becoming a world like "Brazil". I may just have to go insane one of these days.

• TheFeniX
    replied
    Re: Terrorism for tots

Let's go Devil's Advocate on this one.

Originally posted by leejo
    Well he doesn't vote, for one thing.
    Most people have become jaded with the current political climate we have going right now. The democrats are in shambles, the Republicans are turning off a lot of Americans by staying far right, and I haven't seen a third party candidate that wasn't some one-note joke in a while.

He doesn't typically stand in line to volunteer to serve after our country is attacked, as happened after Pearl Harbor.
    Red herring, Pearl Harbor was an organized military attack by a soveriegn nation. Joining up to fight some unknown force who you're not even sure is behind the entire attack is another issue all together. And back then, your options were either join and apply for your station (and hope you get it), or run the risk of getting drafted and ending up God knows where. You also have to realise: most American's already wanted to go to war as anti-axis sentiment was almost at it's peak.

Further, there's nothing wrong with continuing working your career and supporting your family rather than dropping everything and running off to fight the good fight.

He takes no responsibility for learning how he can be of service to others during a crisis, such as a terror attack, instead of a liability.
    The average citizen is too wrapped up in his own life to worry about such things. But I will grant, it can be an issue. That's why we're supposed to have well-run organizations like FEMA (ha, if only).

He criticises a lot but stands for little.
    This I've always had a problem with: you don't have to have an opinion or "stance" on an issue to comment that it's being done wrong. Further, you DO NOT have to have an answer to a problem to be able to criticise how it's being handled.

Ex: The war on drugs. It isn't working. The government needs to change what they are doing and actually start addressing the problem, not just throwing more money at the DEA. I don't know how to fix it, but something needs to be done.

Learning how to be a good follower is,
    You aren't differentiating between following a more educated person and blindly following anyone who is visible (the old "blind leading the blind" adage). The point that was brought up is that people are followers, but not in a good sense. They listen, but don't analyze: that's dangerous.

I think an optional summer boot camp for graduating high school students would be attractive to employers, beneficial to the students, helpful to the nation in many ways, and a decent investment. It'll never happen for loads of reasons. Just an idea I toy with.
    They already have programs like that. The keyword is "optional."

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by aeroripper
    I can't tell if you are talking about somebody else or me?
    You asked him a question and he answered it. Is your attention span that short?

I'd love to hear your response.

Leave a comment:

• aeroripper
    replied

Well he doesn't vote, for one thing. He doesn't typically stand in line to volunteer to serve after our country is attacked, as happened after Pearl Harbor. He takes no responsibility for learning how he can be of service to others during a crisis, such as a terror attack, instead of a liability. He criticises a lot but stands for little.
    Are you singing a song? I can't tell if you are talking about somebody else or me? But if you are addressing me, I'd love to respond :row__577:

Leave a comment:

• leejo
    replied

Well he doesn't vote, for one thing. He doesn't typically stand in line to volunteer to serve after our country is attacked, as happened after Pearl Harbor. He takes no responsibility for learning how he can be of service to others during a crisis, such as a terror attack, instead of a liability. He criticises a lot but stands for little.

Learning how to be a good follower is, I think, an essential survival tool and an important step to take on the roads to leadership and maturity. I've had the privilage of working with and knowing many former enlisted men and officers and they are exceptionally fine workers, people, and citizens. Their character is not limited by their ability to execute orders immediately and cheerfully, and they are smart.

I think an optional summer boot camp for graduating high school students would be attractive to employers, beneficial to the students, helpful to the nation in many ways, and a decent investment. It'll never happen for loads of reasons. Just an idea I toy with.

So no need to waste too much breath if your blood pressure shoots up because leejo thinks this or that.

Leave a comment:

• aeroripper
    replied

I don't think that's too complicated. I think basic training combined with first responder training would be perfect. I'd like to see every 18 year old (or above, to a certain extent) have the option of attending military boot camp without the weapons training or military commitment. For those with the interest and aptitude, extensive medic training. I think that would be an excellent investment in our young people and build a better class of citizen than we typically have now.
    Yes because learning how to be submissive and follow authoritarian orders from somebody shouting in your face makes you a better citizen. Exactly what is wrong with our class of citizens now, and what is a typical citizen?

Leave a comment:

• IceCold
    replied

Originally posted by TheFeniX
    The news media is guilty of this more than anyone else. If you listen to Fox news, you'd think almost every black man is waiting to rape your wife and shoot you for your wallet. While there is a disparity per capita in that area, white people still have a pretty large edge in both departments. Hence, using this tactic, they create a fallacious fear of the black community to those who can't do the math on their own.
    Hmmm, I must've missed the FoxNews Special Report: Black men want to rape your wife!

Leave a comment:

• IceCold
    replied

Originally posted by theoriginalblankman
    I also should note here, a point I don't think anyone has raised: How the hell would you get prepared for a terrorist attack? There's no telling what it is, a bomb, a plane, chemical weapons, who knows? There's no telling where it's going to be, a building, a courtyard, a bus, a street.....

There's a thousand different scenarios of a terrorist attack and probably a thousand differen't ways to get prepared.
    That's probably why they're trying to educate kids on emergency preparedness, of which terrorism is only one small part.

Leave a comment:

• TheFeniX
    replied

The whole dog anecdote point was to show how if you teach kids to be aware of the danger of some things they'll be afraid of it. Fear mongering.
    I think Cing has you on this one: Dog attacks are very real dangers that children face. Even a grow adult shouldn't be petting an unknown dog. Hence, children can and should be alerted to the dangers of dogs.

Note: I love dogs and have had one since I can remember. But I also understand that people can become complacent and think all dogs are nice and tame. This is untrue, just like it is for people. You don't trust human strangers you see walking down the street aimlessly, you don't trust a dog doing the same thing.

Fearmongering is when you go out of your way to scare people about something that's either a situation you really can't train for, has a statistically infantismal chance of happening to you, or outright manipulates the evidence.

The news media is guilty of this more than anyone else. If you listen to Fox news, you'd think almost every black man is waiting to rape your wife and shoot you for your wallet. While there is a disparity per capita in that area, white people still have a pretty large edge in both departments. Hence, using this tactic, they create a fallacious fear of the black community to those who can't do the math on their own.

I've seen numerous "Terrorists could hijack the next plane you fly on" newscasts that would make me laugh if I didn't think about how many families around the nation were huddled together praying to God that this information saves their lives. Then I'm reminded about the propaganda that was blasted into my parents head during the Cold War.

As always, I do start laughing when my thoughts turn to the movie "Canadian Bacon."

Terrorism is a non-issue. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't have to be in the back of my mind 24 hours a day. I don't need to look closely at everyone I do and don't know and ask myself if they're going to blow up a vital piece of American real-estate. Yes, we'll probably see a few more attacks here at home before any of us passes on. But I'd rather keep my attention (and that of my kids) on matters they will more than likely affect me(them) directly before I(they) die (drunk drivers, car accidents, natural disasters, robbers, etc). These problems pose a very real thread to society and should have a much larger focus.

Leave a comment:

• leejo
    replied

I also should note here, a point I don't think anyone has raised: How the hell would you get prepared for a terrorist attack? There's no telling what it is, a bomb, a plane, chemical weapons, who knows? There's no telling where it's going to be, a building, a courtyard, a bus, a street.....

There's a thousand different scenarios of a terrorist attack and probably a thousand differen't ways to get prepared.
    I don't think that's too complicated. I think basic training combined with first responder training would be perfect. I'd like to see every 18 year old (or above, to a certain extent) have the option of attending military boot camp without the weapons training or military commitment. For those with the interest and aptitude, extensive medic training. I think that would be an excellent investment in our young people and build a better class of citizen than we typically have now.

Leave a comment:

• theoriginalblankman
    replied

yak yak yak

Leave a comment:

• leejo
    replied

I live in boise idaho, a capital no less, but getting prepared for a terrorist attack here would be like getting prepared for a hurricane. It's not likely going to happen.
    No kidding! You might as well prepare for an attractive woman to pass through town!:row__523:

Leave a comment:

• theoriginalblankman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• theoriginalblankman
    replied

Originally posted by CingularDuality
    And we want our kids petting terrorists and hurricanes? What's your point?

I hope not, as I've been attacked by well over a half a dozen dogs in my life...

See, this is where the argument really begins to close. No matter how hard I try, you will never agree with me. No matter how hard you try, I will never agree with you.

The whole dog anecdote point was to show how if you teach kids to be aware of the danger of some things they'll be afraid of it. Fear mongering.

I would hope not, but can you explain to me the logic behind wanting to NOT be prepared for an emergency? Are you Mayor Nagin?
    As I said before it's fear mongering, getting prepared would just be giving into that. I live in boise idaho, a capital no less, but getting prepared for a terrorist attack here would be like getting prepared for a hurricane. It's not likely going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• Rincewind
    replied

Originally posted by TheFeniX
    Probably less than the 10 boxes I keep on hand.
    Far away from your generators reserve fuel tanks and your crate of strike-anywhere's I hope ;)

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X