Domain name silliness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name silliness

WHile researching domain names i'm often amused/astounded/nonplussed at some of the domains people register.

For instance;

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.com

is registered. But

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.co m

isn't.

What do you think made them decide to stop at 46 a's, and not go for just one more, or even round it up to a nice 50 a's..?

Personally, my theory is that someone fell asleep on the keyboard while registering, and then rolled their head over the Enter key and then woke up to find they had bought 46 a's.com.

Re: Domain name silliness

I personally believe that all domain names should cost a minimum of $100/year. This will help prevent stupid stuff like this, where people just snap up any possible combination of letters in the hope that one day it may be relevant.

The proceeds of this extra registration money could go into some fund for internet access for developing nations or something.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Why not just have a stupid tax
      [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

I would like to see a program to buy up the .net, .com, .org, .cc, .info, .tv, .biz for a discount.

like if it were 9.00 for each domain, you could get all 7 for 55.00.

when I buy a domain, I usually at least try to get the .net, .com, and .org variations of it. the reason whitehouse.com gets so many hits is that the average aol n00b doesn't understand that there are different suffixes for a reason and they are all for different entities.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

or for all the whacky and crazy domain names, or domains over a certain character length you have to justify why you need it or want it or what you will use it for, to get the normal domain price, otherwise tax the hell out of it. Then use that tax to pacify the UN with the US having control of the internet.
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by KillerTarget
            or for all the whacky and crazy domain names, or domains over a certain character length you have to justify why you need it or want it or what you will use it for, to get the normal domain price, otherwise tax the hell out of it. Then use that tax to pacify the UN with the US having control of the internet.
            Why? Of what utility is that?

What we really need is a way to break the ICANN monopoly. But that's a technical problem as much as a social problem. The central domain system has been "adopted" by all the ISP's because all the other ISP's use it. There are alternate roots out there, and anyone here is free to use them, but none have gained any traction.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
              I personally believe that all domain names should cost a minimum of $100/year. This will help prevent stupid stuff like this, where people just snap up any possible combination of letters in the hope that one day it may be relevant.
              It's hard to argue that that wouldn't work, but when i first got on t'internet (or Information Superhighway! as it was called then :)) it did cost around that much for a domain name - definitely for a .co.uk one anyway, can't remember how much .coms were.

What was really annoying, even then, was seeing all the good names being bought up more and more by domain name companies, and because of the restrictive prices, not being able to do anything about it. So therefore, i'm not sure it would solve the problem, as the demand is greater but the supply is restricted, so all that would happen is that the same situation would occur, but you just end up adding more 0's to all prices.

What bugs me more than anything is when the domain is registered, but there's nothing there but some sub-standard holding page that pretends to be a directory.

As i've been looking for a good domain name for the past 2 months, i've thought of hundreds of good to great names, and most of those are those bloody holding pages, usually with a 'Bid for this domain name now!' And then in smaller print 'No bid under $1000 will be considered'.

The proceeds of this extra registration money could go into some fund for internet access for developing nations or something
              At the risk of sounding like a goddamm pinko commie fa...ahem...i think it'd be better to do away with profit making domain name companies altogether, and set up a non-profit organisation whose job it is to make sure domain names stay within the reach of as many people as possible, and take away those names held by people who simply don't use them.

i like your idea of a fund for developing nations (or something!), but i don't think it should come off the back of domain names. Domain names should be seen as something that is 'internet users property', imho, and not a tool for fat investors looking to take us to the cleaners for however much they want.

Edit: For anyone who needs to check the availability of domain names on a regular basis, i found a very useful tool called Mozzle. You can d/l here.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                Why? Of what utility is that?

What we really need is a way to break the ICANN monopoly. But that's a technical problem as much as a social problem. The central domain system has been "adopted" by all the ISP's because all the other ISP's use it. There are alternate roots out there, and anyone here is free to use them, but none have gained any traction.
                i'm glad they haven't. As the net is global, you need a global solution that everyone can stick to.

And how frustrating would that be...you decide on the name you want, you buy the .com, the .net, the .co.uk, and your visitors still end up at some other site that they didn't want to go to..?

It'd be chaos, it'd be anarchy i tell thee!

Comment

9v i was talking about adding the tax, or extra charge only if the people don't write up an explanation of why they need the domain name, or what they would use it for and just not squat on a name or why they need a unusual domain name like the 46 a.com website you mentioned previously. With this charge the money would go to the UN or someother responsible 3rd party that would then use the money to help developing nations with getting an internet infrastructure setup or maintained.
                  -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Can someone tell me who the people at www.sf.net and www.x.org had to kill to get their names?
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                    | for | |

Comment

What is wrong with wacky and crazy domain names? The internet was better when it was a place for geeks who had nothing better to do. Before e-commerce, when the only thing on the internet was crappy BBSs and the hamster dance.

As for giving anything to the US to control, when has it ever done a good job of running something? Note I am not counting handing it over to McAOLTimeAppleSoft inc plc ltd to do whatever they like with as a "good job."
                      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by 9 v
                        And how frustrating would that be...you decide on the name you want, you buy the .com, the .net, the .co.uk, and your visitors still end up at some other site that they didn't want to go to..?
                        Just because you chose "9 v" as your name on this forum doesn't mean it gets to be your name on every other forum. How confusing is that? I like that anyone can use any name, anywhere. And peeps who have more than one neuron and actually use both of them will realize this and not place undue trust in someone's name.

Brand names are certainly nice for consumers to give them confidence in what they're attached to, but one should still be vigilant. Too much protection of names causes complacency and openness to the kinds of scams so prevalent on the Internet. A little less protection, and advertising that that protection isn't present, might encourage some fools to be a bit more skeptical. And the remainder shouldn't be allowed out on their own.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Just because you chose "9 v" as your name on this forum doesn't mean it gets to be your name on every other forum. How confusing is that? I like that anyone can use any name, anywhere. And peeps who have more than one neuron and actually use both of them will realize this and not place undue trust in someone's name.
                          Domain names and forum names are two entirely kettles 'o fish though.

For instance, take tacticalgamer.com. If half the time you were taken to some other different tacticalgamer.com everytime you clicked your link (or typed it in) you'd get pretty sick of it pretty quickly, wouldn't you?

Another for instance, here is a link to a fantastic free pron site.

What do you mean, there's no pron...only duck-billed platypuses?!? (platypii..?) When i type that in i get the homepage of Big Bertha, the famous naked welder. Ooh, what lovely big brazing she has.

i hope you can see the point i'm making there. :)

Brand names are certainly nice for consumers to give them confidence in what they're attached to, but one should still be vigilant. Too much protection of names causes complacency and openness to the kinds of scams so prevalent on the Internet. A little less protection, and advertising that that protection isn't present, might encourage some fools to be a bit more skeptical. And the remainder shouldn't be allowed out on their own.
                          As it is, there are enough scams with fake paypal, ebay and banking emails telling you to click on the link which'll take you to god knows where. That's what it'd be like all the time. The scammers would love the alternate tld's to grow i'm sure.

9v i was talking about adding the tax, or extra charge only if the people don't write up an explanation of why they need the domain name, or what they would use it for and just not squat on a name or why they need a unusual domain name like the 46 a.com website you mentioned previously. With this charge the money would go to the UN or someother responsible 3rd party that would then use the money to help developing nations with getting an internet infrastructure setup or maintained.
                          i was actually addressing Tempus's point KT, which i meant to cover your points too. As i said, i think a fund for developing nations (or something) isn't a bad idea, but i would rather it didn't come from the registrations of domain names. And although i half agree that a write up of why someone wants a name is good, i'm not sure it would solve the problem without creating a whole lot more.

If it's unusual, or long i have no problem with. My main problem is with domain name companies buying up everything and then charging a fortune for them. Make it non-profit, and then no-one would even bother registering 46 a's .com.

Originally posted by Wintermute
                          What is wrong with wacky and crazy domain names? The internet was better when it was a place for geeks who had nothing better to do. Before e-commerce, when the only thing on the internet was crappy BBSs and the hamster dance.
                          i remember when i first logged on to this amazing new thing called the internet (it was a Saturday, it was 5.30pm on May 13th, 1995) and iirc, there was only just over a million sites at the time* (hamsterdance being one of them i rember fondly). But i have nothing against e-commerce, i think it's great that i can buy things from all over the world, at half the price of my local shop, and order tickets for gigs, and games, and CDs and DVDs and and and......

As for giving anything to the US to control, when has it ever done a good job of running something? Note I am not counting handing it over to McAOLTimeAppleSoft inc plc ltd to do whatever they like with as a "good job."
                          i think overall the net has grown massively and still runs quite well tho, doesn't it? i'm not in favour of giving any of those huge conglomerates the reins of control in any shape or form (as i said before it should be run on a non-profit basis), but the system itself works, thanks to the american government/military.

Something i don't like about buying .co.uk's too, is all the unnecessary formality that Nominet insist upon. And they send me certificates for each and every one as well. How pointless is that? i actually rang them up and asked them to justify the certificates, and not one person at Nominet could give me a half sensible answer!

Wow. i only mentioned this in the first place because i thought 46 sa's.com was a daft name to register :)

*there may have been even less, but i can't anywhere that has the stats for websites in '95.

Comment

For instance, take tacticalgamer.com. If half the time you were taken to some other different tacticalgamer.com everytime you clicked your link (or typed it in) you'd get pretty sick of it pretty quickly, wouldn't you?
                            But the underlying problem is that there's only one white pages to choose from. Everyone uses the same monopoly directory. And only one listing is allowed per name.

Now if I look in my phone directory, I might find more than one person with my name. Are the other guys illegitimate? Am I? Why should any of us have the right to be the sole holder of a name?

Anybody who wants a name should be able to be listed under that name. DNS even supports this, and returns all available answers. It's the applications (eg. web browser, email) that assume that each name is unique. They treat multiple answers as load-balancing and just pick the first one returned. But you could easily code to make some other assumption about the returned values, such as that they're owned by different entities and you need some other information to distinguish them. There's even a system in place that could be used for this: Whois. For technical reasons, you'd want to store the whois info in the DNS system at the TLD server that resolves the name to an address, either as a new record type or as a TXT record. An application that encounters such records could pop up a list asking you which one you want.

Comment

But the underlying problem is that there's only one white pages to choose from. Everyone uses the same monopoly directory. And only one listing is allowed per name.

Now if I look in my phone directory, I might find more than one person with my name. Are the other guys illegitimate? Am I? Why should any of us have the right to be the sole holder of a name?

Anybody who wants a name should be able to be listed under that name. DNS even supports this, and returns all available answers. It's the applications (eg. web browser, email) that assume that each name is unique. They treat multiple answers as load-balancing and just pick the first one returned. But you could easily code to make some other assumption about the returned values, such as that they're owned by different entities and you need some other information to distinguish them. There's even a system in place that could be used for this: Whois. For technical reasons, you'd want to store the whois info in the DNS system at the TLD server that resolves the name to an address, either as a new record type or as a TXT record. An application that encounters such records could pop up a list asking you which one you want.
                              But that would mean that everytime you wanted to go to a website, you wouldn't need to remember just the domain name, you'd need all the other information too. i struggle to remember 2 or 3 domain names throughout the day i want to check out when i get on the net again, if i had to remember all the other details i'd never get to the sites.

And when you have a popular domain name the list of alternates would soon become ridiculously big. Typing in business.com for example would bring up so many it'd look like a google results page if you typed the word 'business' in.

No. i want business.com to take me to business.com, tacticalgamer.com to take me to tacticalgamer.com and google.com to take me to google.com. i know where i want to go already, let me go there! :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X