Bush State of the Union speech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush State of the Union speech

Do you think that this speech will be able to win back the support of the US in his war in Iraq plan?

Re: Bush State of the Union speech

No. I was particularly encouraged by the Democratic response by the Virginian Mayor, though. It aired on CNN, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by koko775
      No. I was particularly encouraged by the Democratic response by the Virginian Mayor, though. It aired on CNN, at least.
      It aired on Fox News as well. All the Fox guys had good things to say about the Democratic response as well.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

What plan? Victory at any cost? There is no way that this speech is going to win him any more support on anything. He's an embarassment. After 6 years in office his public speaking skills are still at the 12th grade level. I was so frustrated and distracted by this that I had to stop watching and read the rest on my own. He makes me feel stupid for being an American.

Comment

You know, if you watched PBS last night, they had an interesting and in depth piece on the reasoning behind Militant Islam Extremists: it's one part return to the glory of the Islamic emprire, one part hatred of the West's dominance, wrapped up in reliqious propaganda.

When you get bombarded by negative slanted journalism on Al-Jezeria all day, it's easy to find a justification for the jihad.

Contrast that with a channel flip to the SOU address. Bush, in all his wide eyed optimism, all but wrapped himself in the flag and sang "We Shall Overcome."

The naievete is astounding. We aren't talking about something that can be won by throwing more troops at the situation in Iraq: we are talking about the radical Muslim's desire to redraw the map of the Western world in the image of the former Islamic empire. No occupation, no democracy could succeed, so long as that desire remains.

Comment

Originally posted by The President of the United States
            Tonight I ask you to pass legislation to prohibit the most egregious abuses of medical research -- human cloning in all its forms -- creating or implanting embryos for experiments, creating human-animal hybrids and buying, selling, or patenting human embryos.
            We must win the Global War on Furries.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              It aired on Fox News as well. All the Fox guys had good things to say about the Democratic response as well.
              I think Hell just froze over.
              Originally posted by AMosely
              After 6 years in office his public speaking skills are still at the 12th grade level.
              Um, 12th grade level isn't actually that bad. A person truely up to that level would probably smack Bush down, as they should be able to debate in a formal and organized manner. Bush's issue comes from him not being able to form complex sentences and ideas without stuttering or forgetting what he was talking about. This is one of the FIRST skills you learn in high school debate (ditch the word "um," form complete ideas, take a breath, etc).

I just always got the impression the Bush is caught off-guard by every speach he has to do. It's like he has no prep time and is just "winging it" which isn't possible, considering the speach consultants he must have.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                I just always got the impression the Bush is caught off-guard by every speach he has to do. It's like he has no prep time and is just "winging it" which isn't possible, considering the speach consultants he must have.
                Still, I would rather have a President with questionable speaking skills saying the right things, rather than a President with smoothly polished speaking skills saying the wrong things. Remember, Hitler's speaking skills were among the best in recent history, but obviously his message wasn't.

I may not agree with everything Bush says, but at least he's a President who's willing to go against the flow. If our next President is a Neville Chamberlain, some may actually look back at Bush a bit more fondly.

Comment

Originally posted by Strag
                  Still, I would rather have a President with questionable speaking skills saying the right things, rather than a President with smoothly polished speaking skills saying the wrong things.
                  Bush says the "wrong thing," a lot.
                  Remember, Hitler's speaking skills were among the best in recent history, but obviously his message wasn't.
                  There's a difference between being a man being a master orator, and not being able to watch a man speak because it's actually painful to watch. Listening to Bush speak makes me cringe.

I may not agree with everything Bush says, but at least he's a President who's willing to go against the flow. If our next President is a Neville Chamberlain, some may actually look back at Bush a bit more fondly.
                  Please define: "going against the flow." Going against the other branches of our government? Going against the American People? Going against the rest of the world?

I'm all for "going against the flow" when it really counts, but making a presidency out of it is dangerous.

Example: Over 80% of the American people believe flag burning should be illegal. The Supreme Court "went against the flow" and upheld it's first ammendment ties.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                    Example: Over 80% of the American people believe flag burning should be illegal.
                    I've never heard such a high number associated with that statistic...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      85% of all statistics are pulled from ones nether regions.

Did anyone catch how flustered he got after the Dems applauded when he mentioned the SS plans getting shot down? I thought it showed a lack of class on the Dems part, but the look on Bush's face was hilarious.

The speech was 51 minutes long and was interrupted 61 times for applause.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                        Did anyone catch how flustered he got after the Dems applauded when he mentioned the SS plans getting shot down? I thought it showed a lack of class on the Dems part, but the look on Bush's face was hilarious.
                        I laughed at that scene, and not just because of the look on Bush's face. Overall tact of the government is riding a snowboard bathed in KY jelly down a steep cliff covered in teflon.
                        [squadl]
                        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                          We must win the Global War on Furries.
                          On a more serious note, his war on furries will, of course, be a setback for America:
                          http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2..._antimanim.php

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            The number I used is an old one our Government professor had from an Internet source (can't remember the specifics, but it was reputable (CNN, or some other form)). Since I can't find any links to it (most sources indicate a state polling of around 60%), I'll concede it.

My point still stands even at 58-60%.

Comment

Originally posted by koko775
                              Hah!

That guy needs to buy a better teleprompter! He made President Bush look like a skilled orator!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X