Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOP GUN returns!

Originally posted by Google News

HOLLYWOOD Apr. 1, 2006 (Reuters) With financial pressures mounting, Paramount Pictures is taking drastic measures to boost ticket sales at the box office.

Paramount Pictures shocked Hollywood earlier today by announcing that they will be re-releasing their 1986 hit, Top Gun. Appearing in theaters again on its 20th anniversary, the theatrical re-release of Top Gun will include new, and never before seen footage that will drastically alter the fictional story of America’s top flight squadron.

"I think retelling this classic story is one of the better business decisions we've made in last ten years. By focusing on a different aspects of the story, this movie is going to appeal to a broader movie going audience than it did when it was originally released. The film will finally be seen by audiences as it was originally conceived." Tom Bernard, VP of Global Marketing at Paramount Pictures International commented in a press conference earlier this morning. "I think you'll see a lot more studios revisiting their top sellers and marketing them to a younger generation. But to characterize this as a financial decision instead of an artistic one is wrong.”

Hollywood superstar Tom Cruise added, “Movie goers [in 1986] just weren’t ready for the original version. I think that audiences have become more sophisticated and they will welcome and appreciate the inclusion of additional story elements. I was very excited when Tony Scott and Jim Cash approached me with this project.”

“Jim, who scripted the movie with his life companion Jack Jr., told me he was never happy with how the film came out,” Cruise added. “This is, you see. This is how the movie was supposed to be. This is how we were told it was going to be. Everyone who worked on Top Gun thought it was unfortunate Paramount altered the story after filming had wrapped. I’m glad – I’m really psyched that they’ve come around.”

Many of the original cast were attending the announcement party today and all of them agreed: this is the real Top Gun.

Paramount secretly brought back the many of the original cast members, including Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards, to add new content to the movie.

“I was happy to contribute.” Kilmer noted. “I was excited to work with Tom and Tony again. It completely blew me away when I was asked to come back. I never expected it would happen. I always hoped it would, but I never really thought we would get the chance. I think you’ll love what was intended to be the original story.”

However, the changes that were made to the 1986 film are still under wraps.
    I don’t know what surprises me more. The fact that Top Gun is a “top seller” or that they resurrected it. Secret presceen trailer linked here.
    Last edited by Rincewind; 02-02-2006, 02:13 PM.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: TOP GUN returns!

You didn't like TopGun? Maybe it was because I was living just a few miles from Miramar when it came out, but I didn't know anyone that didn't go see it in the theater. Definitely will be known as an 80's classic.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I thought it sucked, but then that's usually my opinion of a film that has Tom Cruise in it. He couldn't act if his life depended on it.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I liked the movie and unfortunatly know a few people who are still living like they are in TOP GUN.

Then again my Navy Boot Camp in NTC San Diego is where they did a lot of filming of the non aerial battle scenes and I as a lowly Boot Camp Noob, as a job, got to clean one of the buildings that was in the film. It was the bathroom scene in which Cruise follows her into the bathroom and she asked if he was expecting to just drop down right there on the floor and do it...his reply was no I was thinking more of these counters.....

Can you believe the Navy put a small brass plaque up commenting on how that was the location of that scene and not only that one of my claims was the honor of cleaning that bathroom...LOL!!!

O and those counters would NOT have held the both of them they were pretty small.....

Quest Shady

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady
          I liked the movie and unfortunatly know a few people who are still living like they are in TOP GUN.

Then again my Navy Boot Camp in NTC San Diego is where they did a lot of filming of the non aerial battle scenes and I as a lowly Boot Camp Noob, as a job, got to clean one of the buildings that was in the film. It was the bathroom scene in which Cruise follows her into the bathroom and she asked if he was expecting to just drop down right there on the floor and do it...his reply was no I was thinking more of these counters.....

Can you believe the Navy put a small brass plaque up commenting on how that was the location of that scene and not only that one of my claims was the honor of cleaning that bathroom...LOL!!!

O and those counters would NOT have held the both of them they were pretty small.....

Quest Shady
          I've been in that head. I've also been in the club that is in the previous scene (it's the Miramar O-club). Also been in the bar with the jukebox.

Not that I actively sought out these places because they were in TopGun, but just because I was in Navy JROTC and later the Marines and happened to have reasons for seeing them.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            Not that I actively sought out these places because they were in TopGun, but just because I was in Navy JROTC and later the Marines and happened to have reasons for seeing them.
            Yeah right! That's probably where you took Bommando on your first date. :D
            |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

That explains why Bommando has not been around!

Az
              [age-c1][command]

Comment

Oh come on, it's not even april yet.

Comment

Seriously, do you people not realize the date on that article, April 1st. It's not even April Fools day and you all fell for that.

Comment

you're Ego's Writing Checks Your Body Can't Cash
                    [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                      I thought it sucked, but then that's usually my opinion of a film that has Tom Cruise in it. He couldn't act if his life depended on it.
                      Now you went and done it. Bomando is Tom's biggest fan.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I loved TopGun!

So, what do you all think will be different? I am imagining that they might play the gay card more in this 'full' version.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                          I loved TopGun!

So, what do you all think will be different? I am imagining that they might play the gay card more in this 'full' version.

Originally posted by Phantom
                          Seriously, do you people not realize the date on that article, April 1st. It's not even April Fools day and you all fell for that.
                          post.

Comment

Heh, you guys figured me out. I couldn't wait to post till April ;) And damned if I had anything to do this morning at work.
                            ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                            No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Yea can you picture it...

Brokeback Mountain meets a new release of Top Gun

Who comes up on top in that one...

HE HE

Quest Shady

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X