Riots over a cartoon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riots over a cartoon.

Well, it looks like a bad time to be a Dane living in the Middle East. All because of this cartoon:

I don't think a day goes by that I'm not reminded of how lucky I am to have been born in America.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Riots over a cartoon.

its the ideals and principle behind that photo that has all the Muslims upset. Its because its against the Muslims religion to make pictures of Muhammad. And for a democratic country to print such photos, especially in countries with such muslim population. Then to make things worse other countries just start printing them and causing more problems.

Yeah i know its freedom of speech, but with such freedom comes intelligence to say don't print this because its going to cause problems.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

It's a sad thing. I think the Dutch paper was wrong to publish an inflammatory cartoon with the intent of provoking (highlighted to make my point clear) a passionate response, and the mass rioting underscores the vast cultural divide - that the West values pluralism while devout Islam demands orthodoxy.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
        It's a sad thing. I think the Dutch paper was wrong to publish an inflammatory cartoon with the intent of provoking (highlighted to make my point clear) ...
        Was this intent proven? I don't think anyone could have predicted where this would end up at the time of initial publication. Now the other European magazines re-running it, that I could see as provocative.

I tell you, as an American who travels abroad frequently, that it is both comforting and disturbing. Comforting in the sense that America is not in the spotlight on this one, and it almost seems like a "See, we told you" moment... this region of the world is unstable and it's not so much America that they're against as the idea that anyone would dare to express an unpopular idea.

But it's disturbing in the sense that this area is so unstable that a cartoon is causing riots, embassy burnings, and general breakdown of law and order. We've come to believe that there is a small, radical faction in the Islamic world that hopes for the destruction of the West, but the differences are much more clear this past week. The free exchange of ideas is a foundation of Western society. Apparently, not so in the mid-East.

But in the end, to say the papers shouldn't have published this because someone was going to get mad smacks of appeasement. This is a fundamental difference that is manifesting itself in violent means: through terrorism, outright warfare, or civil disorder. It will continue until either both sides agree, or one side wins.

I fly though Denmark twice this week. I'll let you guys know what I see in terms of security, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
          Likewise a cartoon depicting Jesus Christ as a pedophile for example (I won't bother linking to the picture, I'm sure we've all seen it).
          OT: I had never seen it before, so I Googled for it and saw one funny one and a few really dumb ones...

You're right. The editors of the newspaper probably should've cut that cartoon before it was run, but they should not be under any legal obligation to do so.

This is not the same as shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater, as this cartoon was intended to spark debate, not to spark riots.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I agree with cing... The picture may have been of bad taste but it is always a a matter of taste...I meen in this country (USA where this was written) for every president, religion, race, creed, sex and every little demographic you can think of, there will be a cartoon or joke making fun of it or degrading it...some tasteless, some funny as heck. But to riot over such things....?

Oh and I am sure the Christians have seen the Jesus as a ped pictures...still no riots...maybe a lot of moaning and groaning...But nobody dead, hurt or such...(YET)

Can't we all just get along on a TG server and work out our differences online with an AK or M4... ;-)

Of course I was on a Submarine for 4 years so my skin is pretty thick...LOL

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Gotta say, those who are rioting are doing nothing more than proving the point that the cartoon conveys. It's lovely to fight against a stereotype, only to act in that stereotypical way when provoked. Thus one of my problems with religion; and hell, large parts of society in general.

Hope the area settles down soon, this is sad all around.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Heh, the irony of that cartoon and the reaction it sparked is pretty funny.

Really though, you don't see christians burning embassies over the Jesus-pedophile cartoon. Its like how there were riots in Iran after some retarded reporter ate up the lies of some dirtbag terrorist about the flushing of a koran in guantanamo bay.

I mean, come on. Would you ever see christians rioting over the flushing of a bible? Or jews? No. Stop making excuses for these people. You can find christians just as poor and uneducated, and even they wouldn't do something like this. Why the different standard?

What I find stunning is that the Danish embassy was acually burned. You can bet that would never have happend with the Marines at our embassies. After it was evacuated and empty, maybe, but not with them on duty. Rioters are almost always cowards (Typical of a mob) , so if you put down a few, the rest usually scatter.
                Last edited by Leonidas; 02-06-2006, 12:42 AM.
                War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. -- John Stuart Mill--

"O xein angellein lakedaimoniois hoti tede keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"- Monument, Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap
                  Was this intent proven? I don't think anyone could have predicted where this would end up at the time of initial publication. Now the other European magazines re-running it, that I could see as provocative.
                  From what I have read, the offending cartoon in particular was one of several comissioned with the express intent to needle the European Muslim population. The cartoons appeared in the Jyllands Posten, a traditionally right-wing publication, in an article about press self-censorship. Muslim integration into Western society is a hot button issue in Europe right now, so it's not like this was considered in a vacuum. I doubt they could have forseen global riots as a result, but they were certainly expecting some sort of response. Certainly the subsequent reprints in other papers knew what the response would be.

Once these things get started, they have a political and cultural weight of their own, as people pick their sides and start throwing rocks. I would never claim that they don't have the right to publish what they want, but I would characterize it as unwise. The various editors have certainly put a lot of third parties at risk by their actions.

That doesn't excuse the dogmatic rabid insane response, of course. And I'm sure Syria could have easily prevented the destruction of those embassies. That was definitley a conscious decision to let that happen.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                    And I'm sure Syria could have easily prevented the destruction of those embassies. That was definitley a conscious decision to let that happen.
                    Keep in mind that Syria is still dealing with Lebanon and now Palestine, too. I think that it might have been better to let the Danish embassy go, rather than spark a Syrian/Lebanese war so soon...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      This is not the same as shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater, as this cartoon was intended to spark debate, not to spark riots.
                      It occurs to me that in Syria riots are the form of debate. We're dealing with a culture in which power is derived from the fist, club, axe, bow, and gun. If you disagree with us, we will burn you. When, perhaps not if, Iran gets its nuke we will see the winds or regime change again.

Imagine if the US had never moved on Afghanistan or Iraq. If Osama had held his wrath. If Iran quietly completed its nuclear ambitions. If these guys had worked together, more like Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito, we would be facing another cold war with base energy as the main weapon. It would have crippled the world economy.

This was a very real possibility, but for the fragmentation of the militant elements. Osama struck too early, and the US was in a mood to take this on by frontal assault. But draw some parallels to what WWII history teaches us. Starting from Bush's assertion that Iraq and N.Korea comprise an Axis of Evil: Afghanistan is North Africa; Iraq is Italy; now Iran is penned in and nervous ... despite the rhetoric.

The Iraqi insurgency is part of all of this. Iran and Syria both know that if democracy takes hold in the mid-East the power of radical Islam fades. They need this to be about US domination, because once people over there start to think for themselves, they'll wonder what they need the dictators for.

It's funny. As much as I disagree with Karl Marx philosophically, he is right about one thing: Religion is the opiate of the masses.

Comment

FYI, here are the rest of the cartoons that people are up in arms over: http://www.aina.org/releases/20060201143237.htm
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                          Gotta say, those who are rioting are doing nothing more than proving the point that the cartoon conveys.
                          Absolutely. You'd think someone over there would get it. Apparently not though.

Now, I know that unemployment in the region is high, but where do all these folks find the time to board buses and travel several hours just to go burn down an embassy over a cartoon? Couldn't they be at least looking for work?

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap
                            It occurs to me that in Syria riots are the form of debate. We're dealing with a culture in which power is derived from the fist, club, axe, bow, and gun. If you disagree with us, we will burn you.
                            You are painting with a very broad brush there. These are the crzies out in the streets. Don't fall into the LGF zone.
                            sigpic

Comment

A little background on the cartoon situation.
                              It all started with a writer who wrote a book about Islam. He couldn't get any artists to make illustrations for his book because they feared the reaction of the Muslims.
                              The Danish paper "Jyllands Posten" Said that can't be right, so the hired 12 artists to each make a drawing of how they see the prophet Mohammed. All in order to get a debate about religion.
                              The cartoons where printed in September 2005.
                              3 month later, Ahmad Akkari, an Islamic imam from Denmark decides to take a trip to the Middle East and talk to religious leaders there.
                              He told them about the cartoons, but to spice things up he told them a few lies too.
                              In stead of 12 cartoons he said there were over 100. He said that Danes gather to burn the Quran in public squares. etc.

Now Ahmad Akkari sits back in Denmark saying that he didn’t mean for the situation to come this far.

My personal view on this Ahmad Akkari character, is that he is a power hungering SOB.
                              I have watched him on tv, and it is pretty clear that he really enjoys the power of being an imam. He even made a hostile takeover of the chairman post in the Danish Islamic religion society. He has been asked to publicly condemn the riots in the middle east, but he refuses to go on tv unless the prime minister will be beside him. He wants to show himself of as a man of power who can stand beside the prime minister.
                              Ahmad Akkari has previously said women who don’t cover them self when they walk outside are whores, and that it is ok to kick them and throw rocks at them.

How the hell can they expect to get respect when their religious leaders makes statements like that???

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X