Lowest form of politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowest form of politics

Nothing like using someone's funeral as a soapbox to spout off....

Originally posted by from article
    The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.
    Originally posted by from article
    Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America.
    Full Article: http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

Disgusting !

Re: Lowest form of politics

Originally posted by phyllis
    Nothing like using someone's funeral as a soapbox to spout off....
    Expected Fred Phelps/10

That is pretty low.

Comment

i just seen that on FOX NEWS.

disrespectful distasteful completely uncalled for. dint kennedy also say something, negative rep for those that turned her funeral into a mud slinging fest
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

They sound like salient points to me. And the audiences, who were there to celebrate the life of Coretta King, seemed to agree. I would argue that the funeral of an activist is not the time to put that activist's values in a box, carefully tucked away to avoid offending anyone.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Valid points ? I suppose depending on your political leanings, yes.

Absolutely wrong auditorium to do it in.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Comment

I'm curious as to why you hold it to be the wrong forum.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
              I'm curious as to why you hold it to be the wrong forum.
              That occasion was for a celebration of her life, not a platform to air their current gripes with the administration.(Which again is a matter of leaning)

Comment

As Steeler suggested, is it not an appropriate celebration of her life to raise those issues that she championed, at a time and place where the man they are speaking to is in the same room?

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

I agree. A funeral isn't the time to launch into an armchair quarterback political tirade. You are given the greatest honor to speak in memory of a loved one, and you choose instead to stir up angry feelings toward someone else? I suppose he felt that her life wasn't worth more than his moment in the spotlight.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

But those were her issues too. Those issues were what she focused her life on. I don't see how it is disrespectful to draw further attention to those issues at a time when people have come together to commemorate her and what she stood for.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

I think that, provided it was clear that the talk was pure about CSK and her life, mentioning these things at her funeral would not be in poor form. If she fought against the government impeding upon civil rights and against a country going to war, speak about them; that's what she was all about. If the topics themselves become taboo simply because it's a funeral, well then the rememberance speech would be really short. "She was a nice lady, loved her family, and wanted people to live in harmony. Thank you for coming."

Do I think that these speakers said their piece solely in memory of CSK, though? Doubtful.
                      [squadl]
                      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Why I don't think it's in the best taste, I have no doubt that Coretta Scott King would not object to anything they said.
                        Beatnik

Comment

Indeed, it's a matter of class and taste. And Irrev. Lowery displayed neither.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would certainly be happy at any ceremony held for me if those in attendance spoke about the things I cared about, not about me. For instance, I'd love it if CD got up and gave a rousing appeal to libertarianism. (I also need volunteers to speak for open source, the RKBA, and atheism.)
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. While I agree that political soapboxing at funerals is distasteful, remembering or representing the political opinions of a political activist is a fitting tribute. Coretta Scott King was an outspoken activist for peace and justice who publicly disagreed with Bush's decision to invade Iraq as well as the federal botching of the Katrina tradgedy. I have no doubt that she would have appreciated these remarks aimed at rattling Bush's cage.

There are no kid gloves or safe corners in politics, especially for a sitting President.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X