Google Bombing....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Bombing....

The Political Cartoons that enraged the middle east has sparked the Iranians into responding with Holocaust Political Cartoons. So how are the Israeli's going to respond? With Search Engine Optimization, or also known as a Google Bomb.

A Google Bomb is when you enter a phrase into Google and due to a small number of links, you receive some surprise links at the top of the search page. For example, there has been a big push from some to link the term "Miserable Failure" to GW. If you go to Google and enter Miserable Failure, #1 on the list will lead you to GW's Bio. #2 is Jimmy Carter, 3 is Michael Moore. So how does that happen?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3298443.stm

Web users entering the words "miserable failure" into the popular search engine are directed to the biography of the president on the White House website.

The trick is possible because Google searches more than just the contents of web pages - it also counts how often a site is linked to, and with what words.
    Another link on the subject... http://searchenginewatch.com/serepor...le.php/3296101

So what are the Israeli's going to do when it is announced that Iran has released their political cartoons mocking the holocaust? According to Radio Host Mark Davis, a little Search Engine Optimization in order to bury their links so deep that only the most persistent can find it.

Blew my mind to run through that little excercise but hearing that has opened my eyes quite a bit more.

Lucky Shot

Re: Google Bombing....

Hey wait, Google might technicaly be considered part of the media.

If that's true... Then there is a Jewish Media Conspiracy!

Comment

Related thread:

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wait...a google bomb works to promote a website's popularity, doesn't it? How could you google bomb a website to the bottom of the list, which is in effect what the intent of this operation seems to be? Isn't that the inverse of a google bomb?

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
        [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
        Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
          Wait...a google bomb works to promote a website's popularity, doesn't it? How could you google bomb a website to the bottom of the list, which is in effect what the intent of this operation seems to be? Isn't that the inverse of a google bomb?
          What you would do is actively link OTHER sites to the top in order to bury another site. This could be used to drop a website out of the top 20. That leads to fewer potential hits. So when Iran releases their cartoons, there will be geeks working OT in order to make sure the most popular websites carrying those cartoons are quickly dropped from the front pages of Google and their brethren.

Lucky Shot

Comment

HMMM So TG in this sense is....

Tactical Geeking...LOL

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I would rather see the cartoons from iran. It is healthy to see how other people feel about you. Let them show their true colors to the world and make total jackasses outta themselves.

All I ask for is communication

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady
                HMMM So TG in this sense is....

Tactical Geeking...LOL
                heh heh heh.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X