Giving in to China too easily?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving in to China too easily?

Giving into china to easily, well are we? or is it just companies respecting what the goverment wants.

Im going to say its the latter, microsoft and google had to delete words like "democracy" "Freedom", and words of the like. They had to do this so their product could be used in China.

So do those american companies have to submit to the host countries rules for the interent or is it free game?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Giveing into China to easily

All in the name of profits, not ideals.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Re: Giving into China to easily

The only one i know even a little about is google so ill stick to that. i think google made a mistake. To me they had an image of a corporation that believed in its 'corporate mission' more than most others . And it's obviuosly working for them because theyre making a lot of money. I guess i was just hoping there was still one organization that would try to walk a higher path. Maybe they will end up making more money from censoring their results and getting business from china or maybe their image will be tarnished to some degree and they will lose money from people in north america.
      I think this issue is more about your stance on censorship than anything else.
      |TG-1stMIP| Shawn02

[volun]

Comment

Re: Giving in to China too easily?

oops, thought i did a spell check before posting.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          oops, thought i did a spell check before posting.
          Heh. You probably did. "Too" (as in: Giving in to China too easily) was spelt as "to", which is a correctly spelled word as well - just a different word.

Oh yeah, I've seen this idea (that it is against their mission statement to censor search results) floating around the sandbox beofre, so I thought I'd post Google's position on it. Basically, they feel that while, yes, it is against their mission to censor results, it is more against their mission to not provide Google to the citizens of China. They figured that censored results was better than no results. I tend to agree.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

For starters, Google has been censoring search results based on American censorship law for years.You can see for yourself (scroll to the bottom)

I'm not a big fan of any kind of censorship, but I'm even less a fan of people getting worked up about stuff when they really don't knwo what's going on. To call greed on this is ridiculous. Google is COMPLYING with the law, yet this makes them greedy and evil? A law you disagree with is a law nonetheless.

It gets worse too. Now lawmakers want to keep tech companies out of China all together.

Google only had to comply with Chinese law in order to get their own servers located in China, because it is more difficult for someone in China to connect to the US google servers. They've done the same in other high-traffic areas such as Europe. Why should Google restrict itself to providing its services to only Americans? Why does no one care that every media outlet has their own stations in China, that comply with Chinese laws, including similar censorship?

Comment

In the larger picture, the US government has been encouraging companies to invest in China for decades. The price of that investment is adherence to Chinese law, just as the price of doing buisness in the US is adherence to US law (child labor, anyone?). Even those who would like us as a nation to evangelize democracy throughout the world can't instruct private companies on how to go about their business with foreign governments. If those executives are prepared to sacrifice their principles in the name of profit (or long-term ideological goals - getting their foot in the door first) then there is very little we can do to stop them.
              In game handle: Steel Scion
              sigpic

Comment

This is a tough one, but when placed against current socio-economic trends, seems pretty obvious to me.

Politically, if we really intend to spread the American brand of individual rights and freedoms, changing and censoring products that we sell to countries like China does not further common political goals like this. I would argue that such goals as stated by President Bush are unrealistic and at times manipulative, therefore the reality of using this intention (spread of freedom and democracy) as an argument against these business practices seems hypocritical and somewhat self-defeating.

Economically, American industry should be doing everything it can to market and sell anything to China. The growing U.S. trade deficit with China has been proven to negatively impact the U.S. job market and thus the economy as a whole. It is not sustainable. If the U.S. has any hopes of stabilizing this growing chasm, tailoring our software products to meet the needs of foreign markets should be no problem at all.

Comment

Microsoft and Google both have shareholders. The directors of those companies have a duty to give those shareholders dividends. Other than complying with the law, giving the shareholders what they want is the most important thing. For that reason, they were right to do what they had to do to gain access to the Chinese market.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
                    Economically, American industry should be doing everything it can to market and sell anything to China. The growing U.S. trade deficit with China has been proven to negatively impact the U.S. job market and thus the economy as a whole. It is not sustainable. If the U.S. has any hopes of stabilizing this growing chasm, tailoring our software products to meet the needs of foreign markets should be no problem at all.
                    Do you have a link on that? Aren't jobs involving imports growing? Isn't a trade deficit where we get goods and they get paper (currency)? You can't eat currency.

Trade deficits also assume only 2 parties involved. But there's far more parties involved here than the US and China. I'd bet while we run a "deficit" with China that China is running a deficit with others and those in turn run a deficit with us. Rock, paper, scissors. Just the same way we have trade deficits between different States in the Union.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X