• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check it out, new interactive device

Multi-touch screens:

http://mblog.lib.umich.edu/~rdivecha...rld_of_sm.html
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Check it out, new interactive device

Nice. The things you can do with that are amazing.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I was watching that one after the one of the kid getting scared video posted here a few days ago, very cool.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

That is damn cool. But society would have to become super concerned with washing your hands and keeping that screen clean... or someone needs to invent something that keeps it clean no matter what you put on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
          That is damn cool. But society would have to become super concerned with washing your hands and keeping that screen clean... or someone needs to invent something that keeps it clean no matter what you put on it.
          You're talking about having a clean appearance, right? Think about all the touch screens you see now at kiosks in retail locations. You're not going to want to do any detailed graphics work on them, but they're quite usable for their specific application. And they don't get particularly dirty with use.

If you were referring to hygiene, I don't think it's any different than the touch screens we already have, or different from standard keyboards for that matter...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, true that. I do kinda get an "ew" feeling every time I touch the automatic touch screens checking into an airport.

Comment

Touchscreens are already in wide use for medical applications like patient monitors, which can get splashed with some pretty nasty stuff. Anything can be made clean and sterile, you just have to use the right cleaning agents to keep the plastics from degrading.

Comment

They're also used in semiconductor cleanrooms, where you encounter similarly nasty stuff. But there, everyone is gloved, so the screens stay pretty clean.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Yeah, non of you are making me feel better. You are citing places where people really try to keep stuff clean. At an airport or mall.... the number of icky fingered people walking around... omg, I'm becoming germ-a-phobic! Me and howard, I understand that man...

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
                    I'm becoming germ-a-phobic!
                    Get on the plane, Smithers.
                    [squadl]
                    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

That is VERY cool.

We spec sympodiums sometimes that have pretty basic versions of touch devices like that. It's nice to see they are stretching the system to those sizes.

The largest I've worked with so far was 10x15
                      sigpic

Comment

the video wont play for me, i hit the play button and it just sits there, =(