New word for the language filters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New word for the language filters

Apparently, we should add the word "boy" to our language filters if we don't want to offend black people.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...imination.html

I have black friends that are offended by being called "boy", but is it really right to consider the word discriminatory?

Re: New word for the language filters

All words are capable of offense, as it is not the word itself, but the intention behind it and the perceptions in front of it that define how offensive something might be. Both sides matter.

Right now, the general perception of the word "boy" is not such that I would add it to a filter or something like that (as it is not primarily a pejorative term), but you can be quite certain that if a player on a server I admin started using that word -- or any other, for that matter -- to disrespect other players on the server, he'd be off in a heartbeat.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

If I learned that you were using "boy" in the pejorative way that people use "gay," I'm remove that language -- and, if necessary, the speaker -- with the same haste that I remove the latter.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

The only time I would call a grown man "boy" is if I'm prepared to fight him. I've never thought of it as being racially specific, though...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It amazes me that this is news to you.

But, then, I'm sure there's lots you know that would be news to me.

We have so much to learn from one another, we humans.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I can see some good old boy type calling everyone "boy" the same way a surfer dude might call everyone "dude." We would need to understand the context to understand whether or not the manager was behaving illegally.

Comment

Agreed (see Poker's post above). Context is a simple enough thing to determine when hearing language.

Comment

I know people who can't go 2 paragraphs without saying "boy" at least once. "Boy, I'll tell you what."

"Boy" is definitely condescending when used in the right way, but I don't think it's derogatory or racial.

Comment

If I'm reading the article correctly, the SCOTUS knocked down the appeals court decision simply because the argument for dismissal was too narrow. As in, they merely considered the use of the word "boy" as the central complaint and not the other facts of the case. In fact, they seemed to dismiss the case as frivolous specifically because of the percieved insult, i.e. "someone got uppity after being called 'boy,' therefore the case is patently without merit."
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Fush
                    "Boy, I'll tell you what."

Like this guy?

Comment

if we filtered every word thatpeople decide to make up and call derogatory there would be soo many legitimate words not allowed, you would not be able to string a sentence together... and boy oh boy that would be whacked out dude.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

It could be scarier. We could filter on legibility.

Comment

boy you must be kidding... lmao... :p

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

If anyone says "What ho, old boy" I say kick and ban the bastard.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                            |TG-2nd|munchkin
                            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

What about "kids". I really hate it when somebody calls everyone on the server kids, or just refers to everyone as kids when they speak. It's condescending and not far from saying "listen here son".

A lot of the people on the NS server are in their 20s and 30s, we're not really kids anymore unless you have an incredible loose definition of what somebody slightly younger than you would be called...

/end rant
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X