Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Arab Emirates to run US ports

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/...ity/index.html

Thoughts on this? I didn't even know that other countries already run some US ports. I personally don't like the idea of anyone but US companies running US ports.

Word has it that neither Congress nor Bush knew about this deal until just fairly recently. If they didn't know, who exactly is making decisions about something as important as controlling our ports?
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: United Arab Emirates to run US ports

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/02/...ity/index.html

Thoughts on this? I didn't even know that other countries already run some US ports. I personally don't like the idea of anyone but US companies running US ports.

Word has it that neither Congress nor Bush knew about this deal until just fairly recently. If they didn't know, who exactly is making decisions about something as important as controlling our ports?
    IIRC, a British company currently runs those ports, and the UAE company is trying to buy the British one. That might be why no one knew about it at first.

Comment

Originally posted by Barracuda_Magoo
      IIRC, a British company currently runs those ports, and the UAE company is trying to buy the British one. That might be why no one knew about it at first.
      Correct. But you'd think, or at least I would, that port control changing hands might send a flag up to some people.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

This is very interesting. I didn't find anything about the president being unaware of this development. From reading the article, I gathered that he instead blessed the deal, to the dismay of both Republicans and Democrats in Congress.

Bush has once again ignored the views of the Congress, but this time, I completely support his decision.

Wierd.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

He blessed it after the fact, but now they are claiming that neither the President nor Secretary Snow actually knew anything about it until after the whole thing was decided. Another classified process. So, yeah, who exactly is in charge over there?
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

I don't have too much of a reaction to this other than it demonstrates how low of a priority our national (within border) security is and how very few government officials are paying much attention to it.

I've been more interested in the emerging civil war in Iraq that seems to be getting worse. I'm just waiting for Bush to say that civil war is a part of every healthy democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
              I don't have too much of a reaction to this other than it demonstrates how low of a priority our national (within border) security is. Why shouldn't a foreign company manage our ports?

I've been more interested in the emerging civil war in Iraq that seems to be getting worse. I'm just waiting for Bush to say that civil war is a part of every healthy democracy.
              Mosely, why do you feel that national security is a problem here? These people are managing inventory, not security. The National Guard will be overseeing everything that goes in/out, just like normal. In fact, there's nothing about the UAE that suggests any ties to terrorism, other than the word "arab". Their country has probably provided us with more useful intel (voluntarily) about terrorists than most.

We have got to remember that arabs make up a HUGE portion of the earth's population. They AREN'T ALL AL QUAIDA! You remember that jerk on your basketball team that pushed kids down and called em names? That's the Al Quaida, and he goes to my school and got put on my team, but I don't like him. I don't know him, and I certainly AM NOT LIKE HIM. Umm, weak analogy, but I think it works.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

The company is just in charge of the port schedule and the unloading/loading. The US coast guard, customs and any other federal agency is in charge of security. So this is a good thing for the US/arabic relations.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                  Correct. But you'd think, or at least I would, that port control changing hands might send a flag up to some people.

hmmm if its any consolation its been in the pappers for weeks here.... :row__687:

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by aesop rock
                    This is very interesting. I didn't find anything about the president being unaware of this development. From reading the article, I gathered that he instead blessed the deal, to the dismay of both Republicans and Democrats in Congress.

Bush has once again ignored the views of the Congress, but this time, I completely support his decision.

Wierd.

agreed i admire his decison, he is correct, that this comapny has no links to terror and the USA has many arab friends so why should it be opposed when the Brits have run it for years... it would send a damaging message to refuse it on the grounds that they are arab./..

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Mosely, why do you feel that national security is a problem here? These people are managing inventory, not security.
                      I was only stating that in reaction to the media frenzy that this has caused - that people think that this UAE company would somehow jeapardize national security, and where was the oversight in this decision. It doesn't bother me if the UAE wins the contract - but apparently it bothers some - and I would assume because of perceived national security interests.

Sorry if I was unclear - my point was that if government oversight of national security was as high as it should be, this whole story wouldn't be such a shocker - the case would have been widely known and explained by any number of government officials instead of what we are witnessing.

Comment

Mosely, why do you feel that national security is a problem here? These people are managing inventory, not security. The National Guard will be overseeing everything that goes in/out, just like normal.
                        I think that would actually be DHS, customs, and the Coast Guard. The National Guard is very different.

We have got to remember that Arabs make up a HUGE portion of the earth's population.
                        Even within Islam, Arabs are a minority.
                        Last edited by Barracuda_Magoo; 02-23-2006, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
                          my point was that if government oversight of national security was as high as it should be, this whole story wouldn't be such a shocker - the case would have been widely known and explained by any number of government officials instead of what we are witnessing.
                          Says who? President Bush has impressed many of us with his exceptional poker playing skills. Notice how he said nothing until after Senator Clinton started clucking. He likes to give people plenty of rope, I think.

Comment

Magoo is correct. The Coast Guard is in charge of security. This company would do nothing more than move and manage inventory in one of the terminals on the port. I think several Congressmen are just playing politics with this.

Comment

i think its just congress not getting its way and bush actually doing his job. Okay, bush has done of "questionable" or weird things, but i think this one is gonna be good for us and the company/UAE. Should be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks.

and like someone said, this wasnt a problem until congress heard about it, and the media got ahold of it.
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...