Columbia's Final Minutes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbia's Final Minutes

I've studied Challenger's second-by-second analyses in the past, and this is the first mainstream media piece I've seen along those lines for Columbia.

Interesting read.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/ny-hscov0127,0,442476.story?coll=ny-health-headlines

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
    And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
    Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
    Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
    You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
    High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
    I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
    My eager craft through footless halls of air.
    Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
    I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
    Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
    And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
    The high unsurpassed sanctity of space,
    Put out my hand and touched the face of God.
    "

Comment

Actually this is rather encouraging:
      But investigators were struck by the way the crew modules of both Challenger and Columbia broke away relatively intact. The survivability study concluded relatively modest design changes might enable future crews to survive long enough to bail out.

Comment

Originally posted by Geisha
        But investigators were struck by the way the crew modules of both Challenger and Columbia broke away relatively intact. The survivability study concluded relatively modest design changes might enable future crews to survive long enough to bail out.
        Indeed...On the next shuttle mission both myself, my girlfriend and my best friend Stu will be driving down to the Cape for the launch. NASA and human spaceflight mean more to me than I could ever express here in these forums. Suffice to say the only thing I'm going to be able to say as the Atlantis roars skyward atop a deafening cloud of smoke is " Go......."

Comment

Originally posted by Geisha
          Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be pointless to bail out at the altitudes were talking about here?
          I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley
            Pardon me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be pointless to bail out at the altitudes were talking about here?
            Well, I suppose it depends how you bail out, and what altitude you're at. Challenger exploded low enough that the module could have been saved with proper technology, that's for sure.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
              Well, I suppose it depends how you bail out, and what altitude you're at. Challenger exploded low enough that the module could have been saved with proper technology, that's for sure.
              And if the module had wings or fins to slow its descent and a 'chute that deployed at a certain altitude....
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Ok, as in using the Module itself to bail out. That makes sense. I though you were suggesting they pop a hatch and jump :P
                I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Ok, as in using the Module itself to bail out. That makes sense. I though you were suggesting they pop a hatch and jump :P
                  They do pop the hatch and jump out. Considering they're wearing full multi-layered pressure suits, a GPS beacon, survival kit and digitally redundant automatic parachutes, I'd say the chances of survival when bailing out are already good. After the hatch pops, a 9 foot long escape pole is extended out the side by compressed gas. They then clip onto the pole and slide down and to the left, away from and under the orbiters wing.

However, the pole is not for escaping in catastrophic circumstances and is simply intended for escape from the shuttle below 100,000 feet if the shuttle is unable to make orbit or if the shuttle is unable to be landed safely.

To retrofit the shuttle with an F-111-like crew escape capsule is next to impossible. As it would require a complete redesign of the forward section of the orbiter and drastically decrease crew capacity and usable space inside the crew cabin. Unfortunately, a computer controlled escape capsule type cabin would have to be designed into the shuttles replacement.

Comment

Also of note, the escape capsule type cabin would have so many tasks to fulfill, it would be almost impossible to implement. It would have to:

1. Seperate and keep crew alive in orbit.
                    2. Be capable of re-entry.
                    3. Be aerodynamically stable in the hypersonic, supersonic and transonic flight regimes.
                    4. Be able to seperate within .0009 seconds of a massive failure (explosion) to prevent incineration and subsequent destruction.
                    5. Be light enough to launch.
                    6. Not compromise the actual vehicles aerodynamic characteristics.
                    7. Have quadruple redundant safetys to prevent accidental seperation.
                    8. Have totally autonomous operational capability to fly back home safely after seperation since the crew would be knocked out by the 50+ G momentary acceleration to escape from a catostrophic flight failure.

Now...how easy it it to build this into the current shuttle??? ;)

Comment

I didnt understand a word you just typed..

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                        Sad indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
                          To retrofit the shuttle with an F-111-like crew escape capsule is next to impossible.

....it would be almost impossible to implement.
                          When I think next to impossible, I think of NASA. ;)

But I get your point. :)

Wyzcrak

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                            Sad indeed.
                            Not really, I know nothing about space because it being dark and has stars..

Comment

It would have to: blah, blah, blah
                              Not if a few small designs changes would simply increase, not necessarily guarantee, the crew's safety...

Originally posted by Geisha says that NASA
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X