Bodyguards and hired fists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bodyguards and hired fists

To expound on the hijack of the drop the knife idiot thread....

Quote by Charles Webb, Ph.D.

There is no "nice" way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our faces. We want them to "take care of the problem." We just don't want to see how it's done.

Thoughts?
    "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Re: Bodyguards and hired fists

The police don't act on behalf of me. Many of the policies they enforce keep the bad guys closer to our faces.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I think you should back that statement up.
      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
        The police don't act on behalf of me. Many of the policies they enforce keep the bad guys closer to our faces.

Apperantly Socal is anarachy. Every man for himself, survival of the stronges, etc... The police are maintaning a perimeter to make sure all these bad seed stay nice and close, ala, "Escape from New York".

So in recognition of Tybalt's living arrangements I think he should change his name to Snake Plissken.

Comment

There is no "nice" way to arrest a potentially dangerous, combative suspect. The police are our bodyguards, our hired fists, batons and guns. We pay them to do the dirty work of protecting us, the work we're too afraid, too unskilled or too civilized to do ourselves. We expect them to keep the bad guys out of our businesses, cars and houses, out of our faces. We want them to "take care of the problem." We just don't want to see how it's done.
          We just don't want to see how its done? Havn't you ever watched fox's "extreme car chases and police takedowns 12" ?

If the organized police force wern't around ordinary citizens with guns or vigilantes would do it (minuteman project anyone?) Police are in service to us, not the other away around.

I would want limits on police powers as to what they can do, and only do what is absolutely necessary and exercise restraint. The difference from a more humanistic society versus an oppressive one is how you treat even those that have commited crimes against society.

If the police become highly oppressive, it is the citizens right to establish something better.

EDIT: Or you could just have total anarchy and have a bunch of "warlords" spring up over the country. Take your pick.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
            I think you should back that statement up.
            The war on drugs puts cash in the hands of the bad guys and keeps them closer to our faces.

You may disagree, but the fact remains that the police do not act on behalf of me - at least not much of the time. So I disagree with the Doctor's statement.
            Last edited by Nikolas; 03-10-2006, 12:39 AM.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

The war on drugs puts cash in the hands of the bad guys and keeps them closer to our faces.

You may disagree, but the fact remains that the police do not act on behalf of me - at least much of the time.
              Ah the war on drugs, classic example of how to lose a figurate war (then again, how many examples are there of losses in a figurative war? ). All we need is more cops pointing guns at grade schoolers suspected of having drugs and we'll definitely have a safer society for it :icon20:.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I think the war on drugs is a played out and political argument. It is an argument that constantly goes in circles and I have never seen one clear winner. It is also not mentioned in the quote.

Originally posted by aeroripper
                We just don't want to see how its done? Havn't you ever watched fox's "extreme car chases and police takedowns 12" ?
                Yes, and sometimes that is not how it is done.

If the organized police force wern't around ordinary citizens with guns or vigilantes would do it (minuteman project anyone?) Police are in service to us, not the other away around.
                I believe this was called the old west. No one ever said or implied that the citizens are in service to the police. Don't know where this came from.

I would want limits on police powers as to what they can do, and only do what is absolutely necessary and exercise restraint. The difference from a more humanistic society versus an oppressive one is how you treat even those that have commited crimes against society.

If the police become highly oppressive, it is the citizens right to establish something better.

EDIT: Or you could just have total anarchy and have a bunch of "warlords" spring up over the country. Take your pick.
                I don't think anyone wants an oppressive society and I don't think this quote relates that.
                [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                  I think the war on drugs is a played out and political argument. It is an argument that constantly goes in circles and I have never seen one clear winner.
                  You do know this is the sandbox right?

:row__593: :row__593: :row__593:

Comment

Yes, and I also know that if this topic goes that route I am getting off the highway. :D
                    [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

You may disagree, but the fact remains that the police do not act on behalf of me - at least not much of the time. So I disagree with the Doctor's statement.
                      Thank goodness the police don't act on behalf of any one person. I, for one, am glad that the police act on behalf of the society they're protecting.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I couldn't agree more w/ the statement... unless of course the last sentence was removed ;)

hehe.. every time this type of post comes up (where the behavior of military/police are raised), I ALWAYS think of this:
                        Originally posted by Colonel Jessep
                        Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
                        We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          Thank goodness the police don't act on behalf of any one person. I, for one, am glad that the police act on behalf of the society they're protecting.
                          Oh come now Cingular, you know that's not what was meant by my post.

Comment

Can't +rep you Whiskey, but I love the quote. :)

:icon14: :icon14: :icon14:
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Oh come now Cingular, you know that's not what was meant by my post.
                              No. I'm not sure I do...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X