Anyone else watch/reads "The Boondocks"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else watch/reads "The Boondocks"

I have been meaning to post this for awhile but finnally got around to it. Does anyone watch The Boondocks or read the comics or both?

For those that don't know about The Boondocks. It is a very controversial comic strip that was created by Aaron Mcgruder. It follows the story of 10 year old Riley and Huey Freeman. They used to live in Chicago but when there parents die there grandfather (from here on in refered to as Grandad) decided to use the money the boys got to move to the suburbs. It's heavy on political/social commentary. In November of last year it started as an animated cartoon on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim line up. If you ask me its probably one of if not the smartest show on television. (Reference to Cing's post about Pros vs Joes.)

If you would like to check it out from 11pm EST until 6am EST you can watch it. Adult Swim has something called Friday Night Fix where you get to watch streaming episodes. They usually premier new episodes on it.

http://www.adultswim.com/fridaynightfix/index.jsp

I sincerely hope you all enjoy it and dwell on the themes of the show. Also please note some may find this show offensive and that they do us crude language.

Edit: The character I most relate to is Huey. Minus the afro. (Unfortunately)
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Anyone else watch/reads "The Boondocks"

I used to read the comic off and on, but not since the show came out. That, as far as I'm concerned, is a complete piece of garbage.

When I saw that they were doing an animated show, I thought "hey cool, Boondocks cartoon". Well, I turned on the show, and within the first 15-20sec they said "nigger" roughly a dozen times. I turned that junk off right away; that is NOT how the comic strip is, and I don't know what the hell got into the creator's mind when he decided to do that. There's no way I'll ever watch or read that cartoon again.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

^^That doesn't bother me at all. Granted I live in a city that is made up mainly by blacks and hispanics so I hear (and use) that word everyday. Well "n***a" to be exact.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Hmmm... I enjoy the comic, but even if I watched TV, I don't think I could bring myself to watch a show that used that kind of language.
        Last edited by CingularDuality; 03-13-2006, 05:16 AM. Reason: Originally typed "cartoon" instead of "comic". Doh!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I actually find the show pretty good myself. Yes, it uses crude language, is racially charged. But it does touch upon a lot of things that are happening in society today. It puts a comedic spin on it but it does hint on a lot of topics in today's media.

The lanuguage doesn't bother me as its common place; you can walk into a mall in any town and hear people of all races use it.

[volun][drill]
          I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I have yet to see it. People keep telling me about every episode and every line they all say - so it's almost as good as watching it right?

what ive heard: it's excellent!

Comment

I used to read the cartoon...great cartoon...pretty funny....i saw the episode where they go back to Chicago for their Grandad's friend's funeral....it was alright...not as funny as I expected...but still pretty good...if I'm up, ill watch it...if not...oh well

Comment

I think that is a great cartoon, and pokes fun of the current issues we have today...its kinda like another South Park. IMO anyway.
                "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

I forgot to mention to check out Samurai Champloo for anyone that was checking out Friday Night Fix. The director of Cowboy Bebop worked on that show.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

The Boodocks show is alright, but the comic is much funnier. It's one of my favorites.

Comment

Haven't read the comic, but my brother says the show is fantastic. I've yet to see it myself, but from what I hear it's pretty funny. I'll have to check it out sometime. Unfortunately, I don't find a lot of time for TV, ... it's the WoW addiction and all.

Comment

FYI, you can read The Boondocks daily here: http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/

It's a great comic strip!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The comic has kinda drifted since McGruder shifted to produce the show, but I do like the animated series.

The first time Charles Murphy and Samuel L. Jackson appeared together as the two white gangstas I nearly fell out of my chair. Brilliant!
                          In game handle: Steel Scion
                          sigpic

Comment

I also like the fact that Samual Jackson's character is recurring. Its always a pleasure getting to hear his voice cause he's such a badass and his character is funny as hell.

[volun][drill]
                            I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

^^^^I wonder what will be the next episode with Gin (Sam Jacksons character) and Ed. I also find Uncle Ruckus hilarious.

Also if you ever get the chance try to buy all 4 of the boondocks collections. (I just got A right to be Hostle and I already have the other 3.)
                              7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X