Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese censorship!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chinese censorship!

    http://online.wsj.com/public/article...html?mod=blogs

    Interesting to see the mainstream media jumping to conclusions in a fashion usually reserved for bloggers.

    What I find best is that most of the news sites that covered the original story have since changed their headlines to reflect that the blogs were not shut down by the government. It's sort of like that show Early Edition, except it's yesterday's newspaper with the magic changing text.
    Last edited by Apophis; 03-16-2006, 06:57 PM.

  • #2
    Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

    London-based BBC reporter Sebastian Usher, who wrote the original BBC report, says he did try to contact Mr. Wang but wasn't able to reach him.
    Then why would you run the story if you couldn't confirm if it was true or not?

    Morons.

    [volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

      Bwahahaha! That's just great!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

        I don't think it's just great. To me, this is akin to the one-in-a-thousand cases of rape that turns out to be a hoax. The single case of dishonesty or trickery makes the situation that much more difficult for the 999 who tell the truth and have been harmed.

        I'm usually pretty pleased to see the MSM take one in the chute, but this smells.

        This story will do little to promote understanding of Chinese culture but may do a lot to prevent western media from running stories the next time the Chiese government shuts down a dissident's blog.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

          Originally posted by leejo
          I don't think it's just great. To me, this is akin to the one-in-a-thousand cases of rape that turns out to be a hoax. The single case of dishonesty or trickery makes the situation that much more difficult for the 999 who tell the truth and have been harmed.

          I'm usually pretty pleased to see the MSM take one in the chute, but this smells.

          This story will do little to promote understanding of Chinese culture but may do a lot to prevent western media from running stories the next time the Chiese government shuts down a dissident's blog.
          Bah... It's just another example of shoddy reporting by the lazy mainstream media. Instead of actually researching for facts, they write stories that support what they want to tell people. Just because it's not left/right bias does not mean that this is not still an excellent example of media bias.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

            that type of thing is up to par with a highschool paper.
            "The electric Yellow's got me by the brain banana!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

              Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Bah... It's just another example of shoddy reporting by the lazy mainstream media. Instead of actually researching for facts, they write stories that support what they want to tell people. Just because it's not left/right bias does not mean that this is not still an excellent example of media bias.
              Bah me? Bah YOU! :row__644:

              No I agree that many reporters have gotten lazy and are no longer trustworthy. I also think they got played in this one, and question the blogger's motivations. Smells like an operation to me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

                Originally posted by leejo
                Bah me? Bah YOU! :row__644:

                No I agree that many reporters have gotten lazy and are no longer trustworthy. I also think they got played in this one, and question the blogger's motivations. Smells like an operation to me.
                Bah again!

                It was obviously intended to do exactly what it did. I didn't realize that was in question. But this was such a simple one to research, and if your research turns up no evidence of gov't censorship, simply don't report it as such... The problem was that the reporters wanted it to be a story about gov't censorship, so they just filled in some of the details themselves to make the story fit.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

                  Originally posted by leejo
                  Bah me? Bah YOU! :row__644:

                  No I agree that many reporters have gotten lazy and are no longer trustworthy. I also think they got played in this one, and question the blogger's motivations. Smells like an operation to me.
                  Mainstream reporters are not magically supermen better than people in any other industry. The bloggers just demonstrated that mainstream journalism is no more reliable than blogs, so you shouldn't grant them more credibility just because they have a pretty building and big presses or TV transmitters. The public needs to be just as skeptical of "journalists" as they are of bloggers.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

                  snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

                  Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

                    Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                    Mainstream reporters are not magically supermen better than people in any other industry.
                    But journalists used to pride themselves on being able to report news without bias. Now, well, I already said it above...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Chinese censorship!

                      al, the title loses something when you change it from "gomg Chinese censorship!" to, simply, "Chinese censorship!"

                      The former portrays a sense of over-reacting that the latter really lacks.

                      I think you should have left the title as you originally had it. Otherwise, it looks like you're genuinely complaining about censorship.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

                      Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Chinese censorship!


                        http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zi.cgi?QueryString=%A6%B3
                        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

                        You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

                        Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

                        Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

                        We are no clan.
                        We are not a single game.
                        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: gomg chinese censorship!!!!

                          Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          But journalists used to pride themselves on being able to report news without bias. Now, well, I already said it above...
                          And now the public has to be retrained to realize that it's no longer the case, and they once again have to be skeptical.

                          But there's always been a spectrum of integrity in journalism, just like with any other industry. Remember the Maine.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

                          snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

                          Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X