• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government 1, Google 0

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Bleh.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Government 1, Google 0

Who's feeling lucky now?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

ass kicked there google!

Comment

Didn't we have a long debate over this a few weeks ago? I can understand why the government wants to update the law, but google's stance is justified IMO.

"The erosion of privacy tends to happen incrementally," Berman said. "While no one intrusion may seem that big, over the course of the next decade or two, you might end up in a place as a society where you never thought you would be."
        He does have a point.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

From the article:

Ultimately, the government planned to select a random sample of 1,000 search requests previously made at Google and re-enter them in the search engine, according to a sworn declaration by Philip Stark, a statistics professor at the University of California, Berkeley who is helping the Justice Department in the case.

The government believes the test will show how easily it is to get around filtering software that's supposed to prevent children from seeing sexually explicit material on the Web.
          What filtering software are they talking about? The results filters that Google provides (and that I routinely disable)? Or something else?
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'd imagine they're talking about the retail software found at CompUSA, Fry's, Amazon, etc.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
              What filtering software are they talking about? The results filters that Google provides (and that I routinely disable)? Or something else?
              They're talking about any of the commercially available software/freeware, such as NetNanny and all that junk. They could just load all that stuff up on a machine and have a few people type in common search words for a day, but instead they'd rather force Google to give up search info. Lazy and intrusive, not to mention that it speaks of having shady motives to begin with.
              [squadl]

Comment

And I thought that random samples of Google searches were already available to the public?
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

yeah you can go on to the site, cant remember the exact site, but it will show you the top searches for the day or what not. Im not really sure why the government actually cares about this, from what ive heard that dont want names just the search history to see if people are using google to search for bombs and such. I havent heard of any other search engine being pressured by the government to hand over records.
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                    I havent heard of any other search engine being pressured by the government to hand over records.
                    MSN, Yahoo, and pretty much every other search engine has already complied with the government's request. Google was the only holdout that I knew of.
                    [squadl]

Comment

okay thanks for the correction, i wasnt sure.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                        MSN, Yahoo, and pretty much every other search engine has already complied with the government's request. Google was the only holdout that I knew of.
                        Right. Google will make this principled stand, where it costs them little, but will allow their Chinese users to take one for the team when it helps feed the kitty.

I don't have any sympathy for google in this case. If they'd stuck to their guns with the Chinese government, maybe.

Comment

50,000 Web addresses and 5,000 random search requests from Google,
                          That doesn't seem to say what they really want. They want to know what people are searching for on google, specifically what they type.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                            Right. Google will make this principled stand, where it costs them little, but will allow their Chinese users to take one for the team when it helps feed the kitty.

I don't have any sympathy for google in this case. If they'd stuck to their guns with the Chinese government, maybe.
                            You may be right about the money angle. Google is a publicly-traded company after all.

Here's another way to look at it. Google knows that the Chinese government doesn't care much for privacy or freedom so they didn't fight the Chinese government because they knew they would lose. In this case they might have thought that the American government cared about those things so they thought it was worth trying to fight.

Comment

Wouldnt those 50,000 web addresses have to give the google permission to use in this government "study". And would be funny to just see google send the government 5,000 random bad spelling searches.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...