News from this side of the pond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News from this side of the pond

Some interesting (and rather worrying) stories in the UK press this week.

A man smashed a car windscreen, and tried to drag the woman occupant out through it. Another man who was passing by went to help her. The attacker turned his attention on the would-be rescuer and took a swing at him. The rescuer hit his attacker, and has subsequently been arrested.

It's worth noting, that under English law, there's a statute that allows for the use of reasonable force if you need to in order to prevent a crime being commissioned. There's a seperate statute that says reasonable force includes a pre-emptive strike against an attacker, as long as you KNOW for CERTAIN that you're going to be hit.

In another story, a man left his home one morning, bumped into the postman on the street, and collected his mail from him. Seeing that 2 of the items were junk mail, the man put them in the nearest bin. He's subsequently been fined by the local council, as public bins are not for domestic waste. The council in question has made it clear, that the bins are to prevent litter being dumped on the streets.

My favourite, however, and most scary of all, is the news that the government wants to pass a law, that will enable any cabinet secretary to enact legislation arbitrarily. There will be almost no limitations on this, and the few limitations included could simply be removed as soon as the act is passed. Whilst this will mean they don't have to waste time with silly nonsense such as public debate, and that rather quaint and antiquated thing called voting, it seems extremely Orwellian to me.

Just thought I'd share these with you all, and see what you think.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: News from this side of the pond

Heh, so the Americans aren't the only dupes with absurd laws. The story with the rescuer who was arrested is just infuriating.

Has the meth problem made it to England yet? Talk about some weird stories...

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline
      Has the meth problem made it to England yet? Talk about some weird stories...
      I don't believe so, but we have a good story involving a cabinet minister, her husband, and dodgy loans from the Italian prime minister ;)
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I agree, its nice to see the European government is also plagued with retards. Now as an American, I don't feel so alone when my government makes yet another "Babysit the American people" law.

[volun][drill]
        I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

yes root, did you also hear the home office latest gem of information to British victims of terror attacks abroad.... sue the perpetrator...

riiiiight.

saw this on watchdog... the British Government is not paying out for victims of the egyptian and barli bombings.... as they were not on British soil, and therefore not a British Problem... that I dont have a problem with, but no elp is being offered at getting compensation from the government of the particular country, when asked for advice they said sue the perp.... who is a suicide bomber and therefore duh../.. that dont need an explanation.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Faultline
            Heh, so the Americans aren't the only dupes with absurd laws. The story with the rescuer who was arrested is just infuriating.
            I don't know of one state where a cilvilian can't use force to stop a felony in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
              I don't know of one state where a cilvilian can't use force to stop a felony in progress.
              Colorado.

"Make My Day" Law.

I lived in Colorado for 3 years and was fascinated by this law. It allowed a homeowner to use excessive and even deadly force on people that they did not want on their property or in thier homes. And it extended to vehicles. If your car was being broken into and you caught the guy you, in effect could kill the person and get away with it. It is by far my most favorite law because it puts the power back into the citizen to determine if thye are in danger and justified in their actions.

My car was being broken into and I caught the guy breaking into my car, by the time I got outside he was already making his escape. I ended up throwing a tire iron through the rear window of his car. I got away with it because he had broken into my car and stole my stereo.

[volun][drill]
              I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX

I didn't mean that in that way. I should have begun a new paragraph. Not really sure what laws we have in regards to using force to stop a felony, I just know we have a bunch of crazy laws :)

Comment

We had plenty of funny IRC chats about this yesterday root :D. Then your goverment kidnapped you.

Comment

The latest today is even more absurd.

A while ago, 6 MP's died in Iraq during an attack on a police station. Turns out, those responsible weren't arrested at the time, because the UK wanted to make sure the murders would NOT face the death penalty. Until a deal was agreed, that would limit the maximum sentence to life, the UK refused to hand over any intel it had.

Even the rights of foreigners who kill british service personnel can't have their human rights infringed, it would appear.

This came out at the inquest into the deaths of the british soldiers. Like the previous MoD investigation, assigning blame for the deaths is NOT part of the remit. What's the point?
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

root, in iraq or in the uk, it is such that our law prevents handing criminals over to a country that will kill them,

i actually agree with that law, i do not agree with the death penalty because mistakes can and do happen with regards to the death sentence.

just because they killed british people should not affect our ability to remain consistant.... i agree with you about the force issue, i am a security guard and will loose my job if i am convicted of assault, however, if the time comes where i feel the need to prevent an offender from invading my home or property, i will and to hell with the law... one day someone will wake up and see that this law only helps a criminal not hinders them... i think if thi9s situation were to occur choice is pretty much out of the window anyway....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
                        Colorado.

"Make My Day" Law.

I lived in Colorado for 3 years and was fascinated by this law. It allowed a homeowner to use excessive and even deadly force on people that they did not want on their property or in thier homes. And it extended to vehicles. If your car was being broken into and you caught the guy you, in effect could kill the person and get away with it. It is by far my most favorite law because it puts the power back into the citizen to determine if thye are in danger and justified in their actions.
                        I am am speachless, I am reading that the ones who made this law allows killing someone who breaks into your home to steal your TV? By that you value another persons life at the price of a thing. What kind of society does that foster?
                        --
                        VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

A society that respects other people's homes.

Comment

^and property.

Comment

Those laws are in place not to send the message that a television is more valuable than a human life (though IMO it depends on the television and the life), but to protect homeowners from having a creative plantiff's attorney take everything they have after they shoot some turd in their living room at 2:30 AM.

With these laws, there's no case. Without them, the homeowner may have to "prove" that the "victim" represented a deadly threat.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X