Breaking the Ice: Cultures in Conflict

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking the Ice: Cultures in Conflict

I read about this today and was very impressed. What a concept. It's too bad the whole world can't do this - try to learn through each other's experiences in conflict.

http://www.breakingtheice.org/index....ourneys_sahara

Re: Breaking the Ice: Cultures in Conflict

I heard about this on NPR. Looks interesting.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Libya becomes a speedbump on the road to All Of Us Getting Along: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        Libya becomes a speedbump on the road to All Of Us Getting Along: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
        Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems to me that you're mocking this effort.

Why on earth would all of us ever want to get along? Let's keep sterotyping each other based on misinformation and false beliefs. Let's keep thumbing our noses at any attempt to understand and resolve conflict. Would you honestly tell these people - a NYFD firefighter, an Israeli fighter pilot, and an Bathist Iraqi defector - that you think what they are doing is a joke? Do you support what the Libyan government told them? Is that funny too? I don't think it's funny at all, especially after Bush recently complimented the Libyan government in their cooperation in the 'war on terror.'

I really respect what these people are trying to do, and if it's failure only illustrates the cowardly closed-mindedness of the Libyan government, I would call that a success.

Comment

So you assume that I'm mocking this effort, and without bothering to ask or waiting for me to clarify, heap sarcasm on your interpretation of my comments.

Is this your idea of serious debate or how you try to help people share your ideas?

I'm certainly not worried about debating with people who behave like this: it's like drinking a weak but obnoxious poison.

Comment

I edited my post before I saw your response because I realized that I failed to indicate assumption. So, now, by all means clarify your response.

Was your original post your idea of a serious debate, or an otherwise healthy way to discuss the matter?

And what is there to debate here, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
              So you assume that I'm mocking this effort, and without bothering to ask or waiting for me to clarify, heap sarcasm on your interpretation of my comments.

Is this your idea of serious debate or how you try to help people share your ideas?

I'm certainly not worried about debating with people who behave like this: it's like drinking a weak but obnoxious poison.
              Edited: This is being slightly overdramatic:

But seriously, finding the proper interpretation when deriving it off text on the Internet is troublesome sometimes. Mosely probably should have asked what he meant first, though.
              Last edited by aeroripper; 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I think this is a fantastic human experiment.
                |TG|Delta_Swift

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper
                  But seriously, finding the proper interpretation when deriving it off text on the Internet is troublesome sometimes. Mosely probably should have asked what he meant first, though.
                  I can't imagine any interpretation of what he said warranting the response given. Have all of these posts been post-edited or something?
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I support people who put their butts where their mouths are and engage in activities like this. I also respect these activists who are making this trip.

However I think that they will basically fail, like so many before them, because the answer to the basic question "why can't we all get along?" is that a lot of people will just as soon put a bullet in your head as look at you, much less give you the time to listen to your case.

When dealing with the British, or the Israelis, or the United States, people like Ghandi have the correct approach, IMO. When dealing with the Stalins, Husseins, etc., of the world you really need to raise and arm and fund an insurgency to fight them, and kill them, and TAKE freedom from them.

The Israelis live in a world in which very many of their muslim neighbors want to kill them. Not for their policies, or their actions, but simply for being. In point of fact, in Saudi Arabia being jewish is punishable by death. The recent news-making case in Afghanistan of the Christian convert facing the death penalty is not a rare event in the muslim nations, it's just rarely reported.

So there is a lot of work to be done on the trade policy and military fronts before these will have any lasting effect, I think.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X