No good deed goes unpunished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No good deed goes unpunished

It looks like a British special forces operation freed the three living activists who've been held hostage in Iraq since November '05 (minus their American colleague who was found shot in the head and tossed into a street last month).

The group's press release makes no mention of the operation and shows no gratitude to the soldiers who risked their lives to save these three. It merely calls them occupiers.

For me, way to go Brits!

It will be interesting to hear from the freed activists themselves. I expect they will manage to find some gratitude in their hearts.

Re: No good deed goes unpunished

That's really good news. I wonder why it was the Brits, though? My two guesses would be that a) there were no Americans in the group (anymore) and/or b) the U.S. is in too sensitive a position to be risking more lives on hostage rescue operations.

The Christian peace groups' press release does neglect to thank the troops that saved them, and to reiterate their belief that none of this would have happened if the troops hadn't invaded Iraq in the first place is also in poor taste. To claim that your love of god and/or christ is what saved you, and not thank the troops that actually did seems way off to me.

Comment

Mission Accomplished.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
        That's really good news. I wonder why it was the Brits, though? My two guesses would be that a) there were no Americans in the group (anymore) and/or b) the U.S. is in too sensitive a position to be risking more lives on hostage rescue operations.

The Christian peace groups' press release does neglect to thank the troops that saved them, and to reiterate their belief that none of this would have happened if the troops hadn't invaded Iraq in the first place is also in poor taste. To claim that your love of god and/or christ is what saved you, and not thank the troops that actually did seems way off to me.
        Exactly. And it goes back to the support the troops hate the war issue. For goodness sakes, if one believes in God one must also believe that God was acting through those troops who freed them.

From what I've read, there were American troops involved, Canadian too, but British spec ops actually went in the building. Why? Well none of those guys want to ride the pine the whole game, and I expect there is a division of labor thing going on: the operation may simply have taken place in the British spec ops sector. Dunno. Kudos though!

Comment

"They knew that their only protection was in the power of the love of God and of their Iraqi and international co-workers.

"We believe that the illegal occupation of Iraq by Multinational Forces is the root cause of the insecurity which led to this kidnapping and so much pain and suffering in Iraq. The occupation must end.

“Today, in the face of this joyful news, our faith compels us to love our enemies even when they have committed acts which caused great hardship to our friends and sorrow to their families.

Now the next few statements are going to come from a Christians perspective. That just makes me sick, First of all to call them occupiers instead of soldiers is just awful. They risked there lives to save people who, in the first place, should not even be over there. And to blame the troops for their sorry butts getting captured is totally unacceptable. And they would rather forgive and love those that kidnapped them instead of the British troops that rescued them.

And they wonder why troops are starting to loose moral and hope.
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
            And they wonder why troops are starting to loose moral and hope.
            I agree with everything you said except this last piece. I read a recent study that showed troop morale in Iraq remains high.

Comment

Well thats good, i guess those polls i keep seeing on CNN are wrong. But thats really good to hear, just goes to show what a fully volunteer military force can do
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

So, I guess if we're the evil occupiers, then in actuality God didn't answer their prayers, but his southern most neighbor did.

I can believe it, he has been in the trenches with us since day one. I knew it: God doesn't hate Satan, because Satan is God's personal hitman. How cool is that?

Comment

Exactly. And it goes back to the support the troops hate the war issue. For goodness sakes, if one believes in God one must also believe that God was acting through those troops who freed them.
                  What exactly does supporting the troops have to do with believing "God" is acting through them? I don't see the relation to this notion and what we talked about in the referenced thread.
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The support the troops sentence and the following sentence aren't directly related. I think that if they truly supported the troops even if they disagree with the policy, they could have been a little more gracious to the specific soldiers who'd freed them, at least.

In fairness, this group may never have claimed to support the troops. I have written that I suspect that many who claim to support the war but not the troops actually don't support the troops much either, but recognize how disasterous saying so would be politically.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
                      That's really good news. I wonder why it was the Brits, though?
                      I believe it was British SAS soldiers, highly skilled alongside Iraqi and US Troops. I saw an animation on Sky news today and it seems only the SAS entered the building, US and Iraqi troops helped out with getting them in the building. Apparently no shots were fired.

Great news that they've been released.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                        I agree with everything you said except this last piece. I read a recent study that showed troop morale in Iraq remains high.
                        Yes, I just read that re-enlistment rates are 100% of peacetime rates. That says something.

Of course, if you believe the polls that are worded in certain ways, it will certainly seem like morale is low. Just how exactly do you think a soldier is going to answer the question, "Do you want to go home today, next week or next year?" I don't think anyone wants to be overseas in an unstable country, but the vast majority of them are able to look at the big picture, despite their discomfort, and realize that they are needed there.

Comment

This is great news, it was front page up here. The write up is a little disappointing. I should not be surprised considering it's source. Unfortunately here in Canada we are inundated with this leftist love and suckle everyone philosophy.......steps off soapbox.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

I don't think there are very many people in this world that would say that the SAS aren't the absolute best at hostage rescue.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=458062006

Some more news on the freed hostages, a nice little bit of detail about the SAS operation, and a short bit about by an American journalist who was also freed from insurgents about how human his captors were and how their families had been machine-gunned at American checkpoints.

Still no thank-you.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X