MMORPG experience on your résumé?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMORPG experience on your résumé?

I personally catch a lot of grief for playing online, but I've honestly felt it helps hone untapped skills. Apparently, this outlook is catching on...

Re: MMORPG experience on your résumé?

Sweet. As we speak I am dropping out of school to farm ph4t l3wt.

Comment

I've actually thought about putting games I've played online onto my resume. The one thing I do put on my resume though is that as a hobby I work on cars and I find that it helps me with making a good impression, especially when I'm applying for a hands on type of job that requires me to use hand tools and take things apart mechanical in nature. Not only do I likt that I work on cars I put down things I've done to my car such as turbo, nitrous, engine work; it does tend to help.

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

I think working on cars implies a much higher degree of skill and learning than playing games does :D

Comment

I recently interviewed a guy who included "Computer Gaming" as one of his hobbies. That was a big plus in my eyes. Unfortunately, he interviewed like a guy who spent a little too much time gaming and not enough time talking to people.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

There is an interesting take on Leadership in World of Warcraft in business/emergent democracy blogger Joi Ito's blog:

http://joi.ito.com/archives/2006/03/..._warcraft.html

Comment

I interviewed for a job on a school district tech crew last summer. After my interview, one of the guys working there went up to the people in charge and said, "I know it's just a computer game, but this guy really takes charge. If you need something done, he'll get it done."

I found out later that he had played a few times in my BF2 squad at TG after one of my friends directed him this way, and he talked me up from that experience alone. I didn't get the job, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I'd recommend you do not do this. A lot of interviewers are in their 50s, from my exprience they will look at computergaming as a waste of time.

There will be exceptions to this of course, but if gaming is not relevant for the job keep it out.
                --
                VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

Yah, I'm with Hans. What you want your resume to do is, in order: 1) prove that you're not a moron, 2) prove that you have some relevant experience, and 3) that you aren't just another moron in a stack of morons' resumes.

The interview is where it counts.

Chickenlegs has it right. You want to stand out. If I see a resume for a guy who is a computer programmer, say, and he also lists that he has worked on high end cars and etc., it stands out from the crowd. I'm going to remember this guy, and if the other experience is good I'm going to call him in to interview ahead of the guys who just have good experience. When I do, I'm going to ask him how he got into this. Right answer is he figured it out himself and the damn thing worked. Wrong answer is he helped a buddy do it once by holding the beers for when it was done. Basically, you're playing a game to prove you're capable of independent work, of taking charge, and of kicking butt when the time comes.

What the article's author misses is the importance of the role used in the example. Being a 60 level watever is worthless... I'm sure the servers are full of level 60 morons. Being in charge is important, though, and knowing how to position it in those terms, not the game terms, is the key.

Comment

During an interview I had for a helpdesk position, the interviewer made some changes to a computer thus preventing it from normally accessing the internet.

I fixed the problem, to verify that it worked the guy had me visit www.thottbot.com

Thottbot is one of the major online Databases for World of Warcraft information. It's up there with Allakhazam.

I found that very entertaining, he started talking about his level 52 Mage. I think the reason I diddn't get the job was that at the time I played on a PVP Server, while his was PVE.

on a side note. I've been trying to decide if it was worth putting on my resume that I was one of the lead Game Masters for an mmorpg. It never got really big, but I was the PR between the DEVs and the Clients. Too bad certain DEVs got on peoples nerves.
                    Last edited by Vinzalf; 03-31-2006, 07:23 PM.
                    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I'd be frightened to hire a gamer because I know how much work time I was reading gaming forums. LOL :)
                      It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9/NIV

Comment

Originally posted by Tzefanya
                        I'd be frightened to hire a gamer because I know how much work time I was reading gaming forums. LOL :)
                        DOH! Ditto!

Seriously though, it depends on the company you are marketing yourself to. If you were marketing yourself to me, at my engineering firm, it would do you no good at all because it is highly unlikely I would be looking for someone to fill a position that would benefit from having someone with WoW Guild Leadership experience. Of course I would think it 'neat'. If I were hiring a Project Manager would it help? Probably not. hiring a personel manager.. it might. A network administrator maybe.

I know John Brown from PARC so when I saw he was involved in that, it made some sense. He does articles and papers often on the social aspects of technology.. sometimes he and colleages will pop out with articles like that to measure a public response, if any.

JSB has a lot of neat ideas.. he's got some stuff worth reading if you are interested in potential technosocial trends. There are a number of other authors I know of too if you are interested in that sort of stuff.

If you want a real leg-up.. tell me you are a TG Officer or Admin!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChIck3nL3gz
                          things I've done to my car such as turbo, nitrous, engine work
                          What car are you in and what are you running in it?

Comment

bump for chickenlegz :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse