Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter Display Removed From St. Paul City Hall

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_082104036.html

A sign with some Easter decorations in the lobby was removed out of concern it may have been considered offensive for non-Christians.
    Seems odd for a city named after an Apostle.

Re: Easter Display Removed From St. Paul City Hall

The world is going insane.

Go to any other country in the world, and you can experience their unique culture and religious traditions. Come to North America, and all forms of religious tradition are swept under the rug, lest they offend you. It is the ultimate phony act. It is also the exact kind of communication shutdown which leads to religious discrimination.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Britain is terrible for things like this. One year our local coucil actually banned the use of the word christmas and installed lots of "winterval" decorations and a "winterval" tree.

Comment

I'm as inclusive as the next guy, but come on, this crap is silly.

Comment

Rev. Jerry Falwell weighed in on the controversy, saying it's "disturbing that this guy believes the Easter Bunny actually has something to do with the Christian celebration of Easter."
          You know you're in trouble when the most sensible comment in the article is from Jerry Falwell.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

just wait until Jesse Jackson starts running his mouth on it...they we can expect some great comments and well thought out statements

and by that i mean exactly the opposite
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
              You know you're in trouble when the most sensible comment in the article is from Jerry Falwell.
              So that would put this whole thing off the scale on the "Stupid BS O-meter" :row__642:

---

Comment

Originally posted by icky

Go to any other country in the world, and you can experience their unique culture and religious traditions. Come to North America, and all forms of religious tradition are swept under the rug, lest they offend you. It is the ultimate phony act. It is also the exact kind of communication shutdown which leads to religious discrimination.

Nope. Show me where Jewish or Muslim people were told they could not put up their religious displays. I have yet to see an article where the local government took down a menorah.
                "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

That's because nobody ever puts UP a menorah. Religions tradition are not "swept under the rug." Every Sunday huge masses of people go to church. Turn on the TV and you can see people preaching at you. Liquor stores in many states aren't allowed to sell anything on Sunday. Everybody gets work off for Christian holidays in addition to national holidays. We have "In God We Trust" all over our government stuff. And most importantly, nobody has ever been forbidden to practice their religion in private. You're free to be as Christian as you want. Nobody is stopping you. The difference is, unlike other countries, we don't spend public money to promote one religion over another.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                    That's because nobody ever puts UP a menorah. Religions tradition are not "swept under the rug." Every Sunday huge masses of people go to church. Turn on the TV and you can see people preaching at you. Liquor stores in many states aren't allowed to sell anything on Sunday. Everybody gets work off for Christian holidays in addition to national holidays. We have "In God We Trust" all over our government stuff. And most importantly, nobody has ever been forbidden to practice their religion in private. You're free to be as Christian as you want. Nobody is stopping you. The difference is, unlike other countries, we don't spend public money to promote one religion over another.
                    Again an untrue assertion. http://www.afa.net/clp/GetArticle.asp?id=18

That's only one rebuttal to your assertion that no-one ever puts up a religious display besides the Christian ones.

Check a few facts willya! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                      Nope. Show me where Jewish or Muslim people were told they could not put up their religious displays. I have yet to see an article where the local government took down a menorah.
                      In my town in Colorado the city refused to put up a Menorah on city property (saying "no religious items"). The synagogue received tons of offers from local businesses to put it up on private property and it was soon installed in about the most prominent business real estate downtown. Score one for reasonable people everywhere.
                      [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by icky

Go to any other country in the world, and you can experience their unique culture and religious traditions. Come to North America, and all forms of religious tradition are swept under the rug, lest they offend you.
                        I was just reading about someone in the Middle East who faces a death sentence for his conversion to Christianity. In the US, when we don't agree with your religious views, we leave you alone, as long as you don't use tax money to proselytize.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                          I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Comment

Sorry Icky, I should have been more clear. What I am trying to say is that our government is always shutting down public religious displays that most always involve Christian doctrine/beliefs. Granted, the majority of the US is Christian (so to speak). However, it is my personal belief that governments in the US are quicker to target Christians and their holidays and their symbols than they are other religions. Granted, other religions don't have the history in the US that Christianity does.
                            "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                            [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

I think my message was misread by multiple people. Here's a simple version...

Open expression, freedom and more communication = GOOD

Presenting a false reality, limiting freedom, and shutting down communication = BAD

It is very strange that North America chooses the second option on issues such as this.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X