Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Dirty Bombs' Crossed U.S. Borders in Test

from http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/27/D8GK83AG6.html

Undercover investigators slipped radioactive material _ enough to make two small "dirty bombs" _ across U.S. borders in Texas and Washington state in a test last year of security at American points of entry.

Radiation alarms at the unidentified sites detected the small amounts of cesium-137, a nuclear material used in industrial gauges. But U.S. customs agents permitted the investigators to enter the United States because they were tricked with counterfeit documents.
    I guess the good news is that they were detected, but the bad news is that it didn't matter.

Edit: Ack wrong link! Fixed it.
    Last edited by leejo; 03-28-2006, 11:05 AM.

Re: 'Dirty Bombs' Crossed U.S. Borders in Test

Want to sneak radioactive material into the US? Just hide it in a brick of marijuana. At least that was the joke in my Drug Policy class six years ago.
    Last edited by Nikolas; 03-28-2006, 10:49 AM.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The US borders are so immense it is easy to slip stuff in if you really wanted to.

Comment

Ahh.. social engineering. Kevin Mitnick would be proud!
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

I don't follow. What's the connection you see?

Comment

That's how Mitnick did a lot of his hacking/cracking/breaking and entering.. through social engineering. Convinced people that he was suppose to have the password, so they gave him the password. That's how the investigators got their dirty bombs past the border.. through social engineering.

Sounds like it wasn't the technology that broke down, as the radioactive stuff was detected, but the individual Border Patrol agents were fooled. "Hey, you have some radioactive crap! Stop!" "Yea, yea, this stuff is legal, here's our papers." "These papers look fake." "No, they're real, I work for the TLA agency." "Oh, ok, come on in." The people are the weak link in the chain.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

I completely agree. I don't blame the individuals completely. Seems like a lot more communication needs to be built into the system.

Comment

Based on the number of sandbox posts, I have come to the conclusion that leejo is actually not a real person but some type some type of advanced-AI-RSS feed.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Or like 3 people.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed