Peak Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak Oil

Have any of you guys heard about this? Supposedly our Oil is running out rapidly and yet no-one seems to be taking it seriously.

I wonder if any of you guys know anything more. I've read a little, would be interesting to see what sort of knowledge is out there in our little microcosm.

Thanks,

J.
    Jex.

We talked about this a while ago somewhere in here. Found this if its any good

http://dieoff.org
    http://dieoff.org/page85.htm

I remember reading about the US reserves being the loest they've been in 27 years or something, in the Economist. I'll find the article if I get a chance.

Heart warming.

Comment

i believe we have about 30 years of oil left in our existing stores and 70 years of coal those figures are precise though... i dont care though when it runs dry no m,ore global warming.

plus fuel for the furure will be hydrogen you marck my words... the result of combusting hydrogen is water.... comes out as steam....

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

If you read "The Hydrogen Economy" by Jeremy Rifkin, you'll be rethinking if we have 30 years of cheap oil left. There are economic reasons for oil producing countries to overstate their estimated reserves. Opec sets the amount of oil they can produce based on their estimated reserves among other factors. The book estimates that oil reserves are being overstated by huge amounts. Right now we are using 2 times the amount of new oil that is being found. The new fields they are locating are smaller and more expensive to extract.

That book predicts only a time period of between 8 - 18 years before we "peak". (Not really that much different than 30 years when you think about it. After that oil prices will just climb and climb as demand oustrips supply. With China and Pakistan ramping up to be huge oil consumers in the near future the peak will come even earlier.

It is a dry book with plenty of evidence and detail about how and why we should move to hydrogen as fast as possible.

If its already been discussed I guess we won't get into it all again, but it is an interesting read.
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Remind me which US President pushed for $1.2 B in funding to study and promote hydrogen fuel cells?

Does he get any credit for this? NOoooooo.

Comment

He's promoting hydrogen fuel cells and technology to extract hydrogen from hydrocarbons like coal, and natural gas. Most of the funding is to be directly aimed at helping the mining, oil and gas industries.

BTW, $10b that has already been invested by more progressive countries like Germany and Iceland that have a clear plan for a clean 'green' hydrogen future from electrolysis powered by solar, geothermal, and wind power among other extraction methods that don't involve carbon, wheras Bush is pushing for dirty or grey hydrogen technologies of extracting hydrogen via steam extracion from coal and natural gas that wouldn't have basically any environmental benefits.

Nothing that Texans would really want to hear about though...JK.
            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.

Comment

Exactly. No matter how much money Bush invested in hydrogen fuel cells it wouldn't be enough because he isn't the guy you want to suport.

Who do you expect to benefit from a new energy source? The cable company? Joe's Hippy Hut of Hydrogen? Of course engery companies will profit. Who has the expertise and resources to make the investment count? They do.

He's the first president to push for this and all it's bought him from the liberals is scorn. Typical. Maybe if Selene Dion had proposed it...

Comment

I expect 'everyone' to benefit from a green hydrogen economy thats driven by localised onsite energy production and an energy sharing networked power grid that can be more flexible to excess supply and demand.

That won't happen if we dig up and melt down millions of tons of coal each year or construct a couple hundred new nuclear power plants to produce the hydrogen. Oil is running out quickly, gas isn't far behind, something has to happen. One day 20 years from now you'll say holy crap I think some other loser on TG was talking about this stuff and now here it is.

You should read that book I mentioned earlier, seriously, I'm not angry or trying to be an ass. I think it would really give you some interesting things to think about.

Comment

BTW, I hate Celine Dion....damn that woman bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                    I'd do her... 8)

Comment

http://education.lanl.gov/resources/.../fuelcells.pdf

Here's a good little PDF if you want to read a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                        Remind me which US President pushed for $1.2 B in funding to study and promote hydrogen fuel cells?

YEAH AND REMIOND ME WHICH PRESIDENT BROKE THE TERMS OF THE KIYOTO TREATY...... PLRAISE HIM FOR THAT.....HMMMMM

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by DudeMan
                          Originally posted by leejo

YEAH AND REMIOND ME WHICH PRESIDENT BROKE THE TERMS OF THE KIYOTO TREATY...... PLRAISE HIM FOR THAT.....HMMMMM
                          We're not the only ones...
                          New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
                            Originally posted by GhostintheShell
                            I'd do her... 8)
                            LMAO :D :D

I've also been reading the 'fossil' fuel may not actually be from decomposed vegetable matter. Scientists have looked at fossil remains and found no oil, and found plenty where no fossil remains could have got to.

There is talk now that Oil is created by the earth, perhaps through magma or some other process.

One worrying thing about the oil is the amount of energy needed to extract it. If it uses more energy to extract than you get from the product, there is no point extracting it.

Also remember that oil isn't just used for fuel. Rubber, plastics and tonnes of other stuff use oil in their production.

Apparently 8) cannabis can be used for fuel, can make other things too (like trainers, shirts, etc) and there is evidence to suggest it was the Oil companies that prompted the ban on it because it could be a danger to the business. However I think we should make our shoes and clothes out of the stuff.

I sure can't smoke my trainers at the moment when they wear out! :D
                            Jex.

Comment

Show me some serious people who want cannabis for fuel who DON'T get high and we may have the start of a conversation. Everyone I've ever known who wanted stronger rope or paper or pants wore cute little rasta hats and played hackey sack a lot, dooood.

10 years later, and they don't give a damn about cannabis or it's amazing fiber. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X