Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

    I imagine there's still a lot of steel left, but I thought it was fitting to build a special operations warship from the remains of the twin towers.

    It's sort of the dilemma faced when decommissioning an old ship and selling it for scrap, or selling the remains as macabre souvenirs, or in the case of the USS Arizona, leaving the wreckage of dismantled superstructure in a big rusting pile that no one knew about until recently.

    I'm certainly not a jingoistic individual, but this seems an appropriate way to recycle a fraction of the remains of the WTC, in my opinion...

  • #2
    Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

    I thought they buried a lot of the wreckage immediately after they started cleaning it up (under armed guard at that).

    It would have been better using it in a memorial instead of a navy ship. Seems kind of disrespectful in my opinion.

    edit: I am bad at spelling
    Last edited by aeroripper; 04-04-2006, 02:56 AM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

      Originally posted by Coridon
      I'm certainly not a jingoistic individual, but this seems an appropriate way to recycle a fraction of the remains of the WTC, in my opinion...
      Well, I've described myself as a jingoistic libertarian before, so I'll take that label with pride. And, yes, it seems VERY appropriate. I fail to see how it could be considered disrespectful...


      Oh, and buried under armed guard? I heard that it was escorted by the US military all the way to China... I suppose it all depends on which conspiracy theory you're listening to.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

        Originally posted by Coridon
        or in the case of the USS Arizona, leaving the wreckage of dismantled superstructure in a big rusting pile that no one knew about until recently.
        Are you saying the USS Arizona was just recently discovered?

        As far as the ship being made with some metal from Ground Zero goes I think it's perfect.
        New to TG?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

          Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Well, I've described myself as a jingoistic libertarian before, so I'll take that label with pride. And, yes, it seems VERY appropriate. I fail to see how it could be considered disrespectful...


          Oh, and buried under armed guard? I heard that it was escorted by the US military all the way to China... I suppose it all depends on which conspiracy theory you're listening to.
          Escorted all the way to China??? That's a new one :D

          It's fairly hard to find a credible reference that mentions the armed guards nowadays, but I suppose they wanted them there to keep looters or others from picking through the remains. I really don't believe its a conspiracy theory. Anyways, back to the subject.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

            Originally posted by USN_Squid
            Are you saying the USS Arizona was just recently discovered?
            The hull of the ship is the memorial, but the superstructure was cut away, dumped and all but forgotten about.

            The Navy had more important things to worry about at the time, but in hindsight it was an unfortunate action.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Steel from WTC used in new special operations warship

              Edit: corrected my statement after doing some googleing...
              Originally posted by http://www.cr.nps.gov/Maritime/nhl/arizona.htm
              Most of the superstructure, masts and most of the armament, including the 14-inch guns in turrets 2, 3, and 4, and all 5- inch/51-caliber and 5-inch/25-caliber and .50-caliber machine guns, were salvaged from Arizona during the Second World War. Portions of the forecastle and the forward sections of the hull were cut and raised, and holes were cut into the hull to remove equipment and permit access for salvage crews before a decision was made not to attempt raising the hulk.

              And i think its cool they are gonna use the steel from WTC to make a ship that will avenge those who died. USS payback.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

              Comment

              Connect

              Collapse

              TeamSpeak 3 Server

              Collapse

              Advertisement

              Collapse

              Twitter Feed

              Collapse

              Working...
              X