chalk another one up for evolutionists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chalk another one up for evolutionists

I'm sure many will write this one off, but regardless of opinion, this is one more piece of evidence supporting the theory of evolution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/sc...rtner=homepage

Re: chalk another one up for evolutionists

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/sc...erland&emc=rss
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

You lost me when it said millions of years old...sorry

This is gonna turn fun real quick
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

This thread was obviously posted by God to test us.
        In game handle: Steel Scion
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
          This thread was obviously posted by God to test us.
          Dude, that means God hacked AMosely's account!
          OMG H4X! LITERALLY.
          [volun2]
          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

lol.

Weird, I always thought santa was the evolutionary link between fish and land mammals!

ZINGBAT SLAM!

Comment

Ugh, I don't like the title to this post, but it is a neat fossil discovery... Interestingly enough, chalk is also a fossilized remain...
              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Neat ;)

IMO the most compelling evidence of evolution is at the genetic level. However, the huge amounts of genetic, developmental, fossil, and other evidence is consistent with our mainstream models of speciation. (I'm considering evolution (change in allelle freq over time w/in a population) a fact and a scientific law).

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

The problem with the whole evo v. creation fight is that the only people doing the fighting for either aren't serious thinkers. I suppose there are some who think that when the Bible or any other religious text lays out its cosmology, then God or Brahman or whomever made the world He or It made the world to be a static thing. Cows are cows and plants are plants and that's that.

Similarly, don't get too attached to evolution. I come at science from a physics background, and all the experienced physicists will say things like "the theory is supported by all experimental data" or "thousands of experiments have all confirmed the predictions the theory makes". They will usually refrain from making statements of "fact" since, at least with physics, we've learned about several solid theories that were verified by many years' experiments, and which turned out to be either flat or simply mostly wrong.

The real fight isn't evolution v. creationism, it's scientific method vs. faith. To me that's like Godzilla vs. Beethovan's 9th Symphony.

Neglecting that Godzilla is a work of fiction, of course.

Comment

Evolution is a concept all biologists must become attached to since it's the foundation of modern biology. Just as mathematics builds upon axioms, the biologal sciences are built upon the concept of evolution -- even at the molecular scale.

Strictly defined, evolution is change in gene frequencies over time within a population; thus, every birth, death, mutation, and anything that changes the genome of an individual in the population is evolution. Evolution occuring is a fact. How it occurs and the exact mechanisms are the theories.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

So are we discussing the Theory of Evolution, which encompasses ideas like natural selection with which the good folks in certain states known for their progressive and challenging public education systems disagree? Or are we discussing the change in gene frequencies over time within a population?

I can see how a fossil of a fish with legs might seem to support natural selection but not so much a change in gene frequencies over time since for all we know that species sprang out of the mud in that state and simply got killed off.

Seems that there is a big E Evolution that is associated with all the controversy and a little e evolution that is a more precise and technical term with which few would disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                        So are we discussing the Theory of Evolution, which encompasses ideas like natural selection with which the good folks in certain states known for their progressive and challenging public education systems disagree? Or are we discussing the change in gene frequencies over time within a population?
                        Same thing.
                        In game handle: Steel Scion
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                          Neglecting that Godzilla is a work of fiction, of course.
                          Prove it.
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Is it?

Well in any case, theories are suspect, and it's unwise to speak of them as fact. If biologists are anywhere near as smart as physicists, and it pains me to suggest that they probably are, then some smart biologist will certainly blow the doors off this theory someday. Unless of course you all submit to the Church of Darwin like physics did Aristotle. Even then, it'll just take a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                              Prove it.
                              touche, icky.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse