• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theodore Roosevelt's take on Immigration in the early 1900's

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

Are we "SLOW LEARNERS" or what?

Theodore Roosevelt on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
    I think this statement still applies to todays immigration issues and I wholeheartedly agree with these statements. If our current immigration issues were handled with this type of reasoning I don't think we would be in the situation we find ourselves in today.
    sigpic

Re: Theodore Roosevelt's take on Immigration in the early 1900's

I agree 100% !
    I could care less what color ppl are but I do insist that they speak english if they want to be an american !

Comment

Yeah, you should always have to learn the native language when you come to a country. I've been meaning to learn Iroquois myself but I just haven't had the time. It's a constant source of shame, however.

Comment

This is one of the fascinating/interesting differences between the US and Canada.
        (Melting pot vs. Multiculturalism)
        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
          This is one of the fascinating/interesting differences between the US and Canada.
          (Melting pot vs. Multiculturalism)
          Well, the US likes to talk about the melting pot, but we've actually got a good deal of mulitculturalism, too. Here in Dallas, I can take you to areas of town where you'll hear everyone speaking Korean, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, an Indian dialect, or, of course, Spanish. With the exception of illegal aliens, however, I'd say that 99% of the people in these areas also speak English very well and are fully integrated into American society.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            Well, the US likes to talk about the melting pot, but we've actually got a good deal of mulitculturalism, too. Here in Dallas, I can take you to areas of town where you'll hear everyone speaking Korean, Vietnamese, Somali, Arabic, an Indian dialect, or, of course, Spanish. With the exception of illegal aliens, however, I'd say that 99% of the people in these areas also speak English very well and are fully integrated into American society.

Which I have no problem with what so ever. The problem I have is that the immigrants who don't assimilate into our language and the way we do things. Demanding rights when they aren't citizens. Sponging off our system albeit flawed as it might be and then insulting this very country that is helping them.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
              Which I have no problem with what so ever. The problem I have is that the immigrants who don't assimilate into our language and the way we do things. Demanding rights when they aren't citizens. Sponging off our system albeit flawed as it might be and then insulting this very country that is helping them.

I completely agree. I saw a news report about some communities in Cali where more then 75% are immigrants, be it illegal or legal, not to many of those people where speaking English because they dint know how. It was killing the economy of these communities to a point where the state had to bring in English classes to help the towns out, all paid for by those actual tax payers of Cali.

Gotta love democracy...(had some witty saying but forgot it)
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I have no problem with anyone or any race wanting to come to America to make a better life for theirselves and their families but what I do have a problem with is them doing it illegally. I also have a problem with them trying to tell us how to handle our own immigration laws. "You should do it this way or that way" Ya know it doesn't matter what you think this is the way we (Americans) want to do it and you have to live with it whether you like it or not!
                sigpic

Comment

What kills me in this whole immigration deal is that legal immigrants are complaining and trying to cause a ruckus over things that are not true or has not effect on them as citizens
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Oh and here is another one I just thought of, I think this is funny about this march that is going to happen tomorrow. Many are saying that they are marching for "Justice". What? Are you kidding me? You are here illegally and you are marching for "Justice" What has been done that is so unjust, offered you welfare, gave you a better job than you had, let you speak your language freely, allowed you to have a driver license. Ooohh the crime of it all!

Edit:Sorry I have turned this into a venting thread but damn it feels good.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                      What kills me in this whole immigration deal is that legal immigrants are complaining and trying to cause a ruckus over things that are not true or has not effect on them as citizens
                      It's been my experience that most of the protestors are the children of immigrants, or are politically minded. They're US Citizens that haven't had to work to get where they are, like legal immigrants have. Most legal immigrants that I speak to have harsh words for illegal immigrants.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                        That's like saying it's silly for white people to march for civil rights because that has no effect on them as citizens.

Comment

I met my wife in Mexico and we went through the legal process to get her here. There is no stronger opponent to illegal immigration than my wife. I honestly can't believe that all those protestors are illegals. I don't know the facts but it seems that they must be legal immigrants reacting to some inflated political rhetoric.

I got dinged on a college essay for using the term "melting pot" when the professor thought "salad bowl" was more appropriate for multi-culturalism. You know what I hate about salad bowls is the little veggie pieces end up on the bottom with all the dressing and the big croutons float to the top with all the lettuce in between.
                          New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
                            The problem I have is that the immigrants who don't assimilate into our language and the way we do things. Demanding rights when they aren't citizens. Sponging off our system albeit flawed as it might be and then insulting this very country that is helping them.
                            I'm not clear on exactly what "assimilation" or "integration" is. English is not actually our official language, so there is no requirement for learning it, although it certainly helps. Does assimilation mean look like us, talk like us, have the same politics, eat the same food, listen to the same music, cheer the same teams? IMO, getting citizenship would be all the integration you need.

Originally posted by Trooper
                            I saw a news report about some communities in Cali where more then 75% are immigrants, be it illegal or legal, not to many of those people where speaking English because they dint know how. It was killing the economy of these communities to a point where the state had to bring in English classes to help the towns out, all paid for by those actual tax payers of Cali.
                            Something to consider in your examples of ethnic integration - you are comparing a community of illegals avoiding attention with communities of legal citizens interacting with a larger populace. Do not confuse the two. You are also describing what sounds like economically divergent areas.

I humbly suggest that the best way to get illegal immigrants to "integrate" is to provide a path to legitimate citizenship. Mass deportations and police actions simply marginalize a portion of our society and increase the likelihood that they will remain a shadow populace.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not clear on exactly what "assimilation" or "integration" is. English is not actually our official language, so there is no requirement for learning it, although it certainly helps. Does assimilation mean look like us, talk like us, have the same politics, eat the same food, listen to the same music, cheer the same teams? IMO, getting citizenship would be all the integration you need.
                              No I don't mean they have to be just like us what I mean is to understand the way our society works, to understand why we do what we do. Does that mean a legal immigrant has to forgive his culture or religon, no. But don't abuse the freedom this country offers just because you are from somewhere else. Respect what this country offers and appreciate the sacrifices of those before us who have given us those freedoms. That's what I mean by "assimilate".

Contribute to our society by paying your taxes. Become educated, instead of asking for a free hand out from the government. Be self suficient in our society instead blaming the government and expecting the government to pay for everything. That's what I mean by "integration"
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X