scholarships for "purples" only...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scholarships for "purples" only...

Now how stupid is this.... some people want to start a scholarship that you can only apply for if you're a certain race. What an insulting idea..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/16/national/main600465.shtml

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Roger Williams Univeristy is a couple miles down the road from Network 42. I drive by it daily on the way to the office.

I'll try and grab a copy of the school newspaper and scan in a picture of the ad they are running.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Yeah. I don't think their intentions are to be descriminatory, but I think a large portion of our population is evolved beyond the need for Affirmative Action and in some ways finds it's existance offensive.

Comment

The Irony of this situation is astounding :)

Comment

When's Scottish-American Heritage Month?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

*nod*

I think the entire thing was done for the sake of irony alone.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Right after Ango-Saxon month :P

Comment

Well, we just had Winter-Een-Mass ;)
                I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfie
                  Right after Ango-Saxon month :P
                  Every month besides Feburary is Anglo-Saxon month... ;)

Affirmative action has it's place, however not in it's current incarnation.

Comment

i agree

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
                      Every month besides Feburary is Anglo-Saxon month... ;)
                      Except for:
                      Surprisingly, March is Irish-American Heritage Month as well as Women's History Month.
                      April is Jewish Heritage Month
                      May is Asian-American Heritage Month
                      June is Gay/Lesbian Heritage Month
                      July is National Foreign Language Month
                      August is African Heritage Month.
                      September AND October are Hispanic Heritage Month!
                      November is American Indian Heritage Month.

That leaves most of us white boys with only the first and last months of the year... ;)
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by fr1j0l3
                        i agree
                        Me, too.

The only argument for it that has ever had merit to me is that people that come from a poorer school district don't usually get the same educational opportunities and hence will have lower average scores on standardized tests. My anthropology professor claimed research indicates that the standardized tests are somewhat culturally slanted so maybe exchange students need a little slack too.

Except for private monies (if it's your personal fortune sponsoring someone, make all the rules you want), I think the only "affirmative action" that's not pure discrimination is by schooling history.

Comment

Re: scholarships for "purples" only...

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                          Now how stupid is this.... some people want to start a scholarship that you can only apply for if you're a certain race. What an insulting idea..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/16/national/main600465.shtml

Wyzcrak

yes because black people are so disadvantaged.....like bollocks

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

check this out: i like affirmative action because it helps me as asain because it will give me that extra boost to allow me to go to college...but also, i dislike affirmative action because i don't like to be in a "minority"....although i'm in a so-called 'lucky' minority cuz we asain are stereotypically classified as "smart ppl" (at least here in LA ;) )

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfire
                              check this out: i like affirmative action because it helps me as asain because it will give me that extra boost to allow me to go to college...but also, i dislike affirmative action because i don't like to be in a "minority"....although i'm in a so-called 'lucky' minority cuz we asain are stereotypically classified as "smart ppl" (at least here in LA ;) )
                              First off, I understand looking out for #1. Even though I disagree with certain government programs, I certainly take advantage of them whenever I'm legally able.

That said, won't you wonder if you could've made it on your own? Don't you think that perhaps all this affirmative action could hurt minorities? If inferior freshman are sent to universities based solely on their ethnic background, don't you think this is going to have a negative impact on society?

I was going to make a joke about you doing your part to destroy that stereotype, but I didn't want you to take it the wrong way. It was the perfect setup, though. :D :P
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X