Educashun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educashun

Something on the radio this morning got me thinking. Do you think that the wonder that is the internet and technology has helped dumb down the latest generations?

Before I start I appreciate that I can be blinkered so that is why I'm asking.

Kids now have the resource in front of them to replace all the text books etc that I used to have to read. They also know how to cut and paste, how to spell check and how to print. There is no emphasis on the 3 'r's any more. Diction and grammar appear to have gone by the wayside, and I find it annoying.

I'm certainly ain't perfect, but I can type here without to many spellink mistakes. My grammar is clear and I'd hope I get my point across. So what I'm asking is do you think that the avvailability of this new technology has contributed to people not thinking for themselves and not grasping simple concepts. We weren't allowed calculators until we were 11, but now they are standard issue....I think it's wrong.
    Last edited by Benny_; 02-18-2004, 08:49 AM.

I remember being frustrated in school when I was forced to do things that I knew it was highly unlikely I would ever do in real life (I've yet to perform long division by hand in any adult task, personal or professional... I'm not saying it doesn't happen... but.....). Looking back on those annoying and seemingly-useless assignments, I know now that it forced me to work my head muscle and think critically, two abilities that I use daily in both personal and professional responsibilities.

If the technology of today hasn't replaced the excercising of the brain that was required by the methods replaced by the technology, then I too am concerned for kids today and their future. However, if today's technology forces them to work mentally on a similar level, even if it's in different ways, then I'm sure they'll turn out fine.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

double-edge sword I guess....

digital clocks will soon make the terms "clockwise, and counterclockwise" irrelevent. ;)

And I would propose that access to more information at one's fingertips would help the youngsters flesh out ideas more. I remember looking up stuff in encyclopedias for reports and stuff, going to the library to find another encyclopedia for more stuff. There was only so much info on Venezuala. Per capita income, GDP, population, etc. Now they can find online journals of political activists in venezuala to lok at how fishing laws are impacting quality of life. (pulled that example out of my arse)

Now we can go onlline and cross reference not only these two volumes, but any other relevant info that may have been published since then.

And while the copy-paste generation may seem to be skimping on grammer, but they are actually getting pretty damn creative at the same time. Teachers are getting better ways to check for plagerism(sp?), and with the amount of online correspondance nowadays, the ability to effectivley get a point across in a faceless medium will be even more important.

If the technology of today hasn't replaced the excercising of the brain that was required by the methods replaced by the technology, then I too am concerned for kids today and their future. However, if today's technology forces them to work mentally on a similar level, even if it's in different ways, then I'm sure they'll turn out fine.
      could not have said it better. I hope that as they use the technology, they are also taught the "hows" of how things work.... why some search engines are better, ways to validate and verify sources of information, etc... If they know this stuff, the tech can help. If they use it blindly, we're screwed as old folks in the senior centers... :D

Comment

Originally posted by Benny_
        Something on the radio this morning got me thinking. Do you think that the wonder that is the internet and technology has helped dumb down the latest generations?
        Replace internet with TV and all the mindless shows on today and I would have to agree with you

We weren't allowed calculators until we were 11, but now they are standard issue....I think it's wrong.
        I agree with Wyz. As long as the method is still be teached, then technology and the internet are not causing the dumbing down effect in the world (or in my case, America). We had programs in college that could run the fourier theory but the professors took the time to teach the students how to do it by hand. Computers helped us to perform all the advance calculations quickly, but it was still our responsibility to insure that the data was correct coming out of the formulas.

And as far as I know, this is still be done in schools and colleges, though more and more schools and colleges are including technology and teaching the students how to use it (a must in any field that requires use of technology to advance/succeed).

The dumbing down effect is a culture thing caused by TV and people not caring to learn or in the case of parents, insuring that their kids are learning (some parents out there have no clue what their kid is learning. To them, school gets the kid out of the hands for part of the day.).

Comment

I think the real issue is that communication has improved to the point at which the public's ignorance is more readily apparent.

Well-educated people continue to be educated well. Good schools continue to teach attention to detail and discipline with regard to spelling, grammar, mathematics, and reading all those long boring books when a Bond rerun is on.

Is there a spell checking in these forums? blbblblb

Comment

I suppose the thing that stood out for me was that it seems that people have lost the ability to communicate and convey thoughts without the need for spellcheckers and keyboards. Simple math(s) seems to have missed people out. Handing over odd change to shop assistants. Bill = 5.28, 'Do you want the 28p?' errr....blank look. It just scares me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny_
              I suppose the thing that stood out for me was that it seems that people have lost the ability to communicate and convey thoughts without the need for spellcheckers and keyboards. Simple math(s) seems to have missed people out. Handing over odd change to shop assistants. Bill = 5.28, 'Do you want the 28p?' errr....blank look. It just scares me a bit.
              GRRRrrr. You know 'bout my N42 rant on the dumbing down of America. Looks like it's actually the dumbing down of the world...

Y'know what makes me feel good though? Sometimes young people using a cash register hit the wrong button and open the cash drawer without having entered in the amount of cash tendered. I love watching the look of horror on their face as they realize that they're going to have to actually practice mathematics. But it gets better. If they aren't able to give me my change within a few seconds, I'll just tell them how much change I'm supposed to get, with a math error in my favor. 9 times out of 10, they'll give me whatever I've said, and I walk away with a dollar or two more than I should have... That makes me feel good. Knowing that you've taken an active role in educating someone is an honorable thing. If they didn't go to a school that taught them how to add and subtract in their head, then they'll go to my school: the school of hard knocks.

Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Agree with leejo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse