No announcement yet.

Victory for Do-Not-Call List!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory for Do-Not-Call List!

The appeals court overturned U.S. District Judge Edward Nottingham of Denver, Colorado, who said the list violated the telemarketing industry's free-speech rights by barring calls from businesses but not charities.

"As a general rule, the First Amendment does not require that the government regulate all aspects of a problem before it can make progress on any front," the ruling said. The court also said there was no evidence suggesting charitable or political callers were nearly as troublesome as general telemarketing calls.

The registry "offers consumers a tool with which they can protect their homes against intrusions that Congress has determined to be particularly invasive," the court said.

"Just as a consumer can avoid door-to-door peddlers by placing a 'No Solicitation' sign in his or her front yard, the do-not-call registry lets consumers avoid unwanted sales pitches that invade the home via telephone," the court said. "We are convinced that the First Amendment does not prevent the government from giving consumers this option."

I think the do not call list is awsome... anything to keep those bastards from calling....

now if only we could do that for online ads... I want a 'no soliciting' cookie for my browser!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

That is a whole other story in itself, as a majority of websites offer that to pay the bills. Would you rather have the website with ads or not have the website at all? That's like reading a magazine without seeing the cologne insert. It just isn't going to happen. It is also the difference between mass marketing and personal solicitation.
        Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. - Douglas Adams

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed