human body can do some ridiculous things

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• human body can do some ridiculous things

Regardless of whether you believe in Creationism/Intelligent Design or Big-Bangism, you have to admit, our bodies are pretty incredible integrated systems... good luck building a robot to do any of this:

http://www.chinlone.com/reel.html

(requires Quicktime - safe for work)
    Last edited by WhiskeySix; 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM.

Re: human body can do some ridiculous things

That's crazy, but awesome.
    WHEE!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
      good luck building a robot to do any of this:
      Give it time...

Comment

omg, that puts hacky sack to shame. To shame, I say.
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I almost feel like calling bait and switch: While that is not the first internet video involving 2 chicks and 4 dudes doing ridiculous things that I've seen, it's the first in which they kicked a small soccer ball.

Here are a few other amazing videos of young adults playing with small balls:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/72247/tiger_woods/
          http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=tiger+woods

Comment

neat video.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
            [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
            Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

A couple more:

Urban Ninja - First half is coolest

Robot Dance - Watch through the first dancer. The second dancer is the interesting one.
              [volun]

Comment

good luck building a robot to do any of this:
                A robot to do what? Bounce a ball? It's only amazing because it's so far outside what the average human can do. It takes coordination and flexibility beyond what we're used to. The end result, though, is just bouncing a ball around. A robot.

Comment

you're joking right? *I* can bounce a ball... but I can't dance and I can't do THAT :D

that shot where the person's on like this disc/pedistal thing, and the camera only shows from the knees down (not the ball)... you can see all the muscles in the feet/ankles legs working together - and it happens w/o thought and happens perfectly... after nearly failing out of control systems my sophomore year, I found a new appreciation (and distain) for just balancing something - nevermind the crazyness w/ the ball...

Comment

That was like a combination of Hacky Sack and Skateboarding.

Comment

you're joking right? *I* can bounce a ball... but I can't dance and I can't do THAT :D
                      Exactly. It's only neat because they're doing it in a way you can't do it. A robot could bounce a ball easily and with a lot less energy; most people could too. The point isn't that they're doing something you can't, it's that they're doing it in a way you can't. Robots are designed to be efficient so they'd bypass that whole thing and just bounce the ball.

Comment

sooooooooo... is your point that a robotic machine could easily built to bounce a ball? or that you aren't impressed by the human body?

I'm not talking about bouncing a ball or balancing a stick... I'm just saying it'd be really hard to build a humanoid robot/anamatronic to perform the cooperative, whirling, artistic, incredibly athletic perfomance in the video... and that I think it's pretty cool that humans can do that naturally.

We're getting there, but it's not easy...

Comment

sooooooooo... is your point that a robotic machine could easily built to bounce a ball? or that you aren't impressed by the human body?

I'm not talking about bouncing a ball or balancing a stick... I'm just saying it'd be really hard to build a humanoid robot/anamatronic to perform the cooperative, whirling, artistic, incredibly athletic perfomance in the video... and that I think it's pretty cool that humans can do that naturally.

We're getting there, but it's not easy...
                          Speaking as a bit of a technophile (I imagine I'm in pretty good company around here), I kinda have to agree with Tycho. While we don't have robots that can this yet, it's only a matter of time.

I watched the Asimo video, and (if I recall correctly) Asimo is a few years old. I think it was either Asimo or a recent forebear that was first able to walk as biped. As far as I'm aware, Sony's QRIO is the most advanced in the field of human-like robots. It can walk, run, jump and dance, plus talk and listen to people.

But, at the same time, WhiskeySix is right. He's still a long way from being able to join in a game of Chinlone. Who knows, maybe the robots will decide we aren't needed and liquefy us before we can build the Chinlone playing robots. Then we can only hope that Will Smith is around to save us.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

woah! cool stuff - yeah, guess we're closer than I thought! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                              Then we can only hope that Will Smith is around to save us.

That won't happen if we don't save some Nikes and a Pepsi for him.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X