How do you treat waiters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you treat waiters?

It turns out, the way that you treat people perceived to be in subordinate roles indicates your character, or lack thereof.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...ter-rule_x.htm

Personally, I've worked enough service jobs to know that these folks get more than their fair share of slag. As a result, I always try to treat them nicely.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: How do you treat waiters?

Originally posted by Diceman
    Personally, I've worked enough service jobs to know that these folks get more than their fair share of slag. As a result, I always try to treat them nicely.
    I haven't worked in very many service jobs such as this, but I always treat them nicely and cut them a lot of slack. I've seen enough really obnoxious people be incredibly rude to waiters/waitresses so I try and give them as much of a break as possible.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

How cute are the people in question?

:D

I jest.

If the wait staff doesn't just completely eff up their job, then I'm a pretty nice person. Even if they do screw up, I'm pretty nice--unless they get an attitude at me first...
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I've worked in nothing but service jobs, this theory is true. Bus boy, waiter, janitor, retail, its all the same.
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I worked as a waiter quite a bit in my teens and 20s, so I always give them the benefit of the doubt and treat them with respect. I usually tip 15% but more if they did a great job. I have a friend who always tips 25% out of sympathy. She's never worked in a restaurant however so I don't really get that.
          New to TG?

Comment

I've never been a waitress, but I've been a fast food girl in most of my job experiences. So I try to cut everyone in service positions a lot of slack. I don't sass unless I get sassed, I'm patient while waiting for stuff, and I always tip wait-staff at least 20%, unless they are really exceptional.

I don't see how that makes me have "better character", I just know that most service jobs suck.

It just means I'm not a total [insert explitive/derogatory insult].

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
              It turns out, the way that you treat people perceived to be in subordinate roles indicates your character, or lack thereof.
              I haven't read the article, but isn't this stating the obvious? Did it take a multimillion dollar government research grant to figure this out?

Comment

I've worked in the kitchen during school to pay the bills, and the funniest pop reference has to be this movie. http://www.waitingthefilm.com/

I swear they must have consulted with restaurant employee's during the making of that film because it hit the satire bull's eye perfectly. In case you are wondering, this movie is exactly the type of ridiculous crap that goes on at your local restaurant. I can't even being to get started on the stories...
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

i really cut them some slack. i can usuallly tell when one is having a bad day, so i tip more then normal. One night me and a group of 3 went to steak and shake at 2am, tiped the girl 10bucks each, really made her night.

Im generally in no hurry at resturants so i dont mind if she/he slow helping me...they do just fine..
                  that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                    I haven't read the article, but isn't this stating the obvious? Did it take a multimillion dollar government research grant to figure this out?
                    Well, I don't know about stating the obvious, but this isn't the result of a multimillion dollar government research grant. Just the observations of a few CEOs. Like, all of them, apparently.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I am socially incompetent so I am unaware of them. I don't even notice if they mess up my order. It is food and I am hungry so I eat.

How many people have sent back an order?
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I always give my "How are you doin," "Thank you," and "Have a nice day," 's.

I'm Southern.

Comment

um, never sent back food but have gotten many free dinners. Just for being nice to them when they ask if everything is okay, i just say its either cold or not enough fries, usually the manager will come out and be like "you have been a great guest, sorry for the meal, its on the house".

Or one time, we where seated at our table and our waitor took our drink order, then went on his 30 minute break, dint bring our drinks...so then we got that meal for free

i give a minimal tip of 7 bucks, no matter who or where im at...tip goes up if i have other with me
                          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                          -Vulcan

Comment

In my personal experience, I get much better service at a small, inexpensive joint than a fancy schmancy restaurant.

I always get my order messed up when I go somewhere "upscale" and sometimes I'll eat it silently but if it's REALLY jacked up I send it back.

The missus has long red hair, highly visible tattoos and a kooky sense of humor and what I take to be a good sign is anytime we go somewhere the staff remember us and ask about specific things we mentioned on a previous visit. Usually by our third visit anywhere we've got a minimum of two drinks each on the table in front of us at any given time, and receive a "to go" box full of food we didn't order (nor paid for) as we head out the door...

There's no sense in being an ass, and certainly no sense in being an ass if you ever plan on dining at a certain place again...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande
                              How many people have sent back an order?
                              I have and will continue to do so in a heartbeat if they've screwed something up. I'm paying for a meal that is prepared a certain way. The restaurant's product is that meal. Wouldn't you get upset if you paid big bucks for car with the premium interior and sound system and they gave you the plain jane interior and cheap stereo? My biggest gripe is when I stop to get some fast food and order, say, a bacon, egg and cheese english muffin on my way in to work, and, just as I get up to cruising speed on the freeway, I bite into a sausage biscuit. Oh, if I had the time, I'd go back and demand that they get my order right, but I don't have the time, so I choke down some comida that I don't really care for...

I tend to tip generously (25-50%) if the service is satisfactory. If the service is excellent, I'll go talk to the manager in addition to leaving a nice tip. But if the service is lacking, I'm not afraid to leave a small tip, or even to not leave a tip at all.

I've been a waiter. I know what the job entails. And I expect them to do their job. That means being friendly, courteous and somewhat prompt. I know it's hard work, but so is just about every other job out there in one way or another.

That said, like Coridon, I'm remembered and treated very well at restaurants that I frequent. It's very rare that I tip less than 20%. I often have things left off of my bill, which only makes me tip even bigger. Hmmm, assuming that the waiter knows of this tendency, does that make the waiter a thief?
                              Last edited by CingularDuality; 04-16-2006, 01:49 AM.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X