Flight 93

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight 93

Anyone plan on seeing this when it is released 4/28?

I think it's tasteless and I hope it flops. I'm wondering if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Re: Flight 93

I'm sure I'll see it on TBS or Spike before long. I don't know how I feel about it. So much attention has been given to Abu Ghraib and Gitmo and so little to the events that got us there in the first place. I kinda feel obliged to buy a ticket.

Comment

Meh.

I hear it's actually well made. Not too corny. Now as to the 9/11 firefighter movie starring Nicholas Cage?
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I don't know what the hell this is but I think I got the idea already and it sounds retarded. I'm suprised something like it didn't come out earlier though.

Comment

America has to have its heros...I think its working a little too hard this time...*shrug*......no, im not going to go see it

Comment

I'm not going to see it. It's like they want you to think you have to come like it's "The Passion" for Republicans. They're saying, "come in, pay us $12 a head, buy some popcorn, buy a soda and pay your respects in the Metrolux" and it feels wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Arf
              I'm not going to see it. It's like they want you to think you have to come like it's "The Passion" for Republicans. They're saying, "come in, pay us $12 a head, buy some popcorn, buy a soda and pay your respects in the Metrolux" and it feels wrong.
              really? I didnt get that feeling....huh

Comment

Don't think I'll see it. Making money off something like that in the context of entertainment strikes me as sort of... odd. If it was a documentary or something then sure, but as it stands... nah.

Comment

I watched the "made for TV" movie that was on (I believe) Discovery channel, but it was more like a documentary with interviews with relatives, etc. Even though we're five years out, it still is too near in time to make a Hollywood movie, IMO. I've read nothing about the film, but I can't imagine it's too "objective" but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe I'll just wait until it's out on DVD and have a marathon with AIRPLANE, PASSENGER 57, FLIGHTPLAN, DIE HARD 2, REDEYE and of course, SNAKES ON A PLANE.

*and here I sit...wondering if I should hit the "submit" button for this post...or if I just crossed a line*

*five minutes have passed*

*ten minutes*

*Ah well, guess I'm going to hell*

Comment

You forgot Con Air.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                      Don't think I'll see it. Making money off something like that in the context of entertainment strikes me as sort of... odd. If it was a documentary or something then sure, but as it stands... nah.
                      like all the games/films that make money out of WWII and all other problems in the world?

But on the other hand i think its way too early for something like this, and what good can come of it?
                      From Adam Webb

Comment

There's an article in this week's (or maybe last week's) Time magazine regarding this film.

The focus will be on air traffic control and what they went through on that horrible day. The Flight 93 takeover doesn't come into the picture until about 45 min. into the film. It's as close to a documentary as you'll probably see on this subject. Apparently one of the air traffic control officials plays himself in the film. Great pains were taken to limit the on-camera violence and bloodshed. There's no political message. The terrorists are portrayed in a neutral fashion. The film presents the facts as they can best be ascertained.

Dismissing the film off-hand without any knowledge...what does that accomplish, exactly?

And when will it be socially acceptable for us as a nation to revisit 9/11 objectively? Five more years? Ten? We're past due to take another look at it and remember what caused the world to change and perhaps try to understand it. 9/11 is THE defining moment in world history for our generation and maybe longer. To bury our heads in the sand because it's unpleasant is not wise.
                        [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman
                          There's an article in this week's (or maybe last week's) Time magazine regarding this film.

The focus will be on air traffic control and what they went through on that horrible day. The Flight 93 takeover doesn't come into the picture until about 45 min. into the film. It's as close to a documentary as you'll probably see on this subject. Apparently one of the air traffic control officials plays himself in the film. Great pains were taken to limit the on-camera violence and bloodshed. There's no political message. The terrorists are portrayed in a neutral fashion. The film presents the facts as they can best be ascertained.

Dismissing the film off-hand without any knowledge...what does that accomplish, exactly?

And when will it be socially acceptable for us as a nation to revisit 9/11 objectively? Five more years? Ten? We're past due to take another look at it and remember what caused the world to change and perhaps try to understand it. 9/11 is THE defining moment in world history for our generation and maybe longer. To bury our heads in the sand because it's unpleasant is not wise.
                          I read the Time article, man. I'm not dismissing the film off hand. It has actors playing their real life counterparts, and that just seems to me... weird. When you watch a documentary on Lincoln or Washington or something, they don't have actors play the part.

And Coridon you forgot Air Force One.

Comment

I guess I would rather see a straight-up traditional documentary myself too. But there's simply too much of a human story regarding Flight 93 for Hollywood to dance around it much longer.

Think about it - 40 or so people, average joes, board a plane just like any other day. 35 minutes later, they band together and fight for their very lives to wrest back control of a doomed airliner. That's a story that I want to hear told, all the more because it's true and it's recent and it's extremely relevant. As long as it's done well and tastefully, which it seems to have been, I'm all for it.
                            [volun]

Comment

Rotten Tomato is calling it Cream of the Crop:

"Greengrass has made not only a thoroughly fact-checked film but a film that uncontrovertibly comes from the heart."
                              -- Kirk Honeycutt, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

"Like most memorials, it is respectful, premised on competing obligations to the dead and the living, and eager to stress that the deaths were not in vain. It not only tells us we should never forget but also illustrates how we should remember."
                              -- Dennis Lim, VILLAGE VOICE

"Taut, visceral and predictably gut-wrenching."
                              -- Brian Lowry, VARIETY

A- "[Paul Greengrass] keeps a cataclysmic story scaled to the vulnerable men and women involved."
                              -- Lisa Schwarzbaum, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X