Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you dont like dentists. Dont read this

Ok a little history before the appointment today

I used to frequent the dentist when i was young, until a horrbile nasty man hurt me(age 9-10 ish)
    so as you can imagine i was rahter reluctant to go back if at all possible. Next few years i would be gassed to undertake 1 filling or something minor, such my fear was by now

So as time went by, i got older and thought my teeth were doing fine no pains or aches. 10 years passed(ish) and my girlfriend thought it was time i had a check up after all these years.(shock horror) Now i must admit it took some balls to go in, i was like the kid again **** scared. Any way cut a long story short i had to have 10 fillings ( 1 a year not bad) i thought.

Today was my last appointment, all was going well with him drilling UNTIL the drill dissappeared into the side of my jaw/skin. Now the dentist panicks the nurse jumps out of her chair, by now im ready to start the loopy loo through the ceiling. Im laying on my back with this drill (which i think is stuck down my throat at this point, because im numb from the injection) in side of my mouth and the dentist telling me not to breath while "I try and pull it out" which he did. I now how a 10mm hole in some tissue which is connected to my pallet etc etc.

So after me gaining trust of the dentist over so many years im back to square one

Just thought i would share this with you, becasue looking back now i can see the funny side. I think!

TG-E1st TacticalGamer European Division |

Re: If you dont like dentists. Dont read this

I like dentists. I mean, hey, it's a tough job. Someone's got to do it.

Comment

That's terrible!

I had an incident at the dentist where they put a clamp on a molar and accidentally included part of my cheek. I winced in pain as they tightened the clamp, but I couldn't tell what was happening. They told me to let them know if it hurt too much, so I braced myself and took the pain like a man, believing that it was normal. After they finished, they realized what they had done because I looked like I had just been through a cruel interrogation session with Dr. Hans.

I'm not afraid of the dentist.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

My anesthesia wore off during the operation to remove my impacted wisdom teeth.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Last time I went was too long ago but when they gave me the shot before my fillings they happened to hit a nerve and the whole right side of my face went into spasms and stayed that way for like 3 minutes. Scared the s*** out of me and I've been a bit hesitant ever since.

I'll be looking into sedation dentistry. :)

Comment

In the Navy while stationed at Idaho Falls I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. I knew I was in trouble when the Naval dentist look at the instruments laid out and asked the assistant "Is that all I have?" and the assistant said "Yea, the new budget doesn't start for two weeks".

The first one came out easily taking about five minutes. The second one took three hours and had the assistant standing on a chair so that he could brace my head with his knee while the dentist yanked and pulled.

I hate dentists.

*And all I got for the pain was some asprin and I had to be at work that very day. Go NAVY!
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I thought I'd be ok reading this thread.... I was stupid. I'm now wincing and holding my jaw in sympathy pains and also remembering my last visit to the dentist. He just could NOT get my one tooth numb to replace a filling, but had already started on it, so not much choice. Tried all kinds of ways of delivering the numbing agent, including drilling through my gums(which WERE mostly numb, thank god) and LEANING his body weight ON the stainless steel needle(I always wondered why they were so long and heavily built... I found out...)to punch through something in my jaw(I was mortally afraid it'd end up jabbing out the bottom of my head....really)... and that damned tooth NEVER got totally numb. So he was like "well, just hold on!"...

crap.

Comment

i admit it...im an anti-dentite...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande
                  In the Navy while stationed at Idaho Falls I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. I knew I was in trouble when the Naval dentist look at the instruments laid out and asked the assistant "Is that all I have?" and the assistant said "Yea, the new budget doesn't start for two weeks".

The first one came out easily taking about five minutes. The second one took three hours and had the assistant standing on a chair so that he could brace my head with his knee while the dentist yanked and pulled.

I hate dentists.

*And all I got for the pain was some asprin and I had to be at work that very day. Go NAVY!
                  Wow, the Navy Dentist I had got all four of mine out in fifteen minutes and I got three days off with Percocet ...woohoo!
                  New to TG?

Comment

This thread pretty much sums up all of my worst nightmares.

You guys have some crazy dentists.

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                      Wow, the Navy Dentist I had got all four of mine out in fifteen minutes and I got three days off with Percocet ...woohoo!
                      He was going to remove all four but was too tired after the second one. I think am one of the few people to come out of the Navy with two of my wisdom teeth.

This is what really ticked me off. The previous dentist was liberal with the drugs and the time off. Had I only gone two days earlier I would have gotten pretty much the same deal you got. My friend got some codeine based pain killer and a day off and a two day no work chit for a simple filling. That lucky bastard.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yeah, I love the dentist. It all started when I knocked my front tooth out -- er, make that half of my front tooth -- over a holiday weekend in 6th grade. Our family dentist (the hairiest man I ever knew) didn't work weekends, especially not holiday weekends, and especially for something as small as an exposed nerve. So I toughed it out for 3 days until he could get me in the chair, where I could see up his hairy nostrils, and which is where the fun began.

Over the next 3 hours I sat while he shaved down what was left of my tooth. All sides. Front... <bzhshhzhhsh>... Back <bzhshhzhhshrewweww>... Left Side <bzhshhzhhshrewwewwherrerrr>... Right Side... <bzhshhzhhshrewwewwherrerrrowowowowow> which is where the pain meds wore off. That was fun. Redope.

Next I was fitted for a crown. For those that have never been fitted for a crown, let me explain this joy to you. First they take some putty that comes straight from the highest quality dentist flavoring company you can imagine (I think they chose "elbow" for me), and goop it into a steel tray roughly shaped (and sized) like a horseshoe. Then they jam this in your mouth. You are expected to breathe, and not swallow, even though the goop is sliding down your throat and you're convinced it's one of your dentist's knuckle hairs tickling you back there. After 20 minutes, they can pull the tray out. What makes it nice is the fact that suction causes this pulling to require quite a force. And bonus ... I have a freshly drilled front tooth with an exposed nerve that DOES NOT LIKE THE VACUUM.

Well, it takes 6-8 weeks for a real crown, so my next bit of fun was being fit for a temporary cap. Temporary caps are great. They look nothing like your real teeth, fit nothing like them, and because they will be in place for only a short while you get to use the tempy rubber cement instead of the more permanent flavors. Did I mention that the dental products flavoring company sucks?

So I left the dentists office after about 5 hours that aged me 12 years. I don't think I ate anything for 2 days, which is proabably what saved me from going back until later in the week. See, what I also forgot to mention is that as a kid I had a tremendous overbite. My dentist (no lie) told me he could drive a truck up in there. (Thanks Doc, think I'll go try for a girlfriend now.) But for those who may not have experienced this particular ailment, one of the things that goes with an overbite is that your bottom teeth hit the back of your top when you chew. The temporary cap with its loose rubber cement made it through 2 meals.

So back I go. New, stronger rubber cement. Slightly different temporary cap. Not more comfortable, or more tasty, but at least it didn't interfere as much with my bottom teeth.

6-8 weeks and 1 more cap later, I went in to get my new permanent crown. First we have to get the 3rd tempy cap off. Well, since it was the third cap, and the third time is the charm after all, my dentist used the permanent cement. That means this baby comes off by force. Brute force. And my dentist was just the man for the job. His fingers wouldn't do it, so in the end he got out a metal hook which he pried between my hard pallete and the cap, then twisted like he was using a screwdriver to open a can of paint... Pop. Fun.

Next we had another session of drilling, as the specs my custom crown was apparently built to were not mine. <bshewererrer and etc.> More fun. More permanent cement (which tastes like acid, btw). And voila, my teeth are suddenly indistinguishable from those of my friends and neighbors. Oh, except for the bloody gum trauma, which lasted a couple weeks.

I could go on. Maybe about the time playing basketball where the defender reached across for the ball and knocked my crown out. Or maybe about the first root canal I had on that tooth when the root finally died and got infected. Or maybe the second root canal, where the first was drilled out and replaced by a new dentist because the first one was done wrong. Or the one my newer, much nicer dentist wants to do because apparently the first and second ones were both done wrong. Nah, you've sat through enough.

Yeah. I love the dentist.

Comment

i too have a similar experience with a dentist... i have not been in about 5-8 years something like that... because i went in with a mildly wobbly tooth when i was like 10 and when i sat down he said... i see you have a bit of a wabbly tooth, i said yeah it should come out ion a week or two... he picked up a pair of what i can only call plyers, and with one rough up motion one rough down motion and then a little twisting... my mouth was full of blood and the tooth was out.... the pain was excrutiating, because all the nervs were still attatched, and i cannot stress how mild the wobble was....

hence i dont go back i use 2 types of mouth wash and brush every day twice as well as chewing sugar free chewing gum after meals.... and im one of the lucky ones whose wisdom teeth dont cause a problem. :madsmile:

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                            Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande

I hate dentists.

Well, I had a similar experience to both of you. I went and had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time. My dentist was a Commander. Yes, a three striper was pulling my teeth. He used local, got up on a stool and put his knee on my chest and yanked all of 'em in a matter of seconds. He had the nurse rinse out my mouth and pack the sockets, handed me a bottle of Vicodin and a bottle of Motrin, along with a bedrest chit and light duty chit that covered the rest of the week. I never felt any pain at all, but was a bit disturbed by the way he yanked those things out of my jaw. He used a LOT of pressure to get 'em out.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by bootstrap
                              Yeah, I love the dentist. It all started when I knocked my front tooth out -- er, make that half of my front tooth -- over a holiday weekend in 6th grade. Our family dentist (the hairiest man I ever knew) didn't work weekends, especially not holiday weekends, and especially for something as small as an exposed nerve. So I toughed it out for 3 days until he could get me in the chair, where I could see up his hairy nostrils, and which is where the fun began.

Over the next 3 hours I sat while he shaved down what was left of my tooth. All sides. Front... <bzhshhzhhsh>... Back <bzhshhzhhshrewweww>... Left Side <bzhshhzhhshrewwewwherrerrr>... Right Side... <bzhshhzhhshrewwewwherrerrrowowowowow> which is where the pain meds wore off. That was fun. Redope.

Next I was fitted for a crown. For those that have never been fitted for a crown, let me explain this joy to you. First they take some putty that comes straight from the highest quality dentist flavoring company you can imagine (I think they chose "elbow" for me), and goop it into a steel tray roughly shaped (and sized) like a horseshoe. Then they jam this in your mouth. You are expected to breathe, and not swallow, even though the goop is sliding down your throat and you're convinced it's one of your dentist's knuckle hairs tickling you back there. After 20 minutes, they can pull the tray out. What makes it nice is the fact that suction causes this pulling to require quite a force. And bonus ... I have a freshly drilled front tooth with an exposed nerve that DOES NOT LIKE THE VACUUM.

Well, it takes 6-8 weeks for a real crown, so my next bit of fun was being fit for a temporary cap. Temporary caps are great. They look nothing like your real teeth, fit nothing like them, and because they will be in place for only a short while you get to use the tempy rubber cement instead of the more permanent flavors. Did I mention that the dental products flavoring company sucks?

So I left the dentists office after about 5 hours that aged me 12 years. I don't think I ate anything for 2 days, which is proabably what saved me from going back until later in the week. See, what I also forgot to mention is that as a kid I had a tremendous overbite. My dentist (no lie) told me he could drive a truck up in there. (Thanks Doc, think I'll go try for a girlfriend now.) But for those who may not have experienced this particular ailment, one of the things that goes with an overbite is that your bottom teeth hit the back of your top when you chew. The temporary cap with its loose rubber cement made it through 2 meals.

So back I go. New, stronger rubber cement. Slightly different temporary cap. Not more comfortable, or more tasty, but at least it didn't interfere as much with my bottom teeth.

6-8 weeks and 1 more cap later, I went in to get my new permanent crown. First we have to get the 3rd tempy cap off. Well, since it was the third cap, and the third time is the charm after all, my dentist used the permanent cement. That means this baby comes off by force. Brute force. And my dentist was just the man for the job. His fingers wouldn't do it, so in the end he got out a metal hook which he pried between my hard pallete and the cap, then twisted like he was using a screwdriver to open a can of paint... Pop. Fun.

Next we had another session of drilling, as the specs my custom crown was apparently built to were not mine. <bshewererrer and etc.> More fun. More permanent cement (which tastes like acid, btw). And voila, my teeth are suddenly indistinguishable from those of my friends and neighbors. Oh, except for the bloody gum trauma, which lasted a couple weeks.

I could go on. Maybe about the time playing basketball where the defender reached across for the ball and knocked my crown out. Or maybe about the first root canal I had on that tooth when the root finally died and got infected. Or maybe the second root canal, where the first was drilled out and replaced by a new dentist because the first one was done wrong. Or the one my newer, much nicer dentist wants to do because apparently the first and second ones were both done wrong. Nah, you've sat through enough.

Yeah. I love the dentist.
                              That was absolutely hilarious in a very sad way.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X