Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the greens on malaria?

Interesting article. http://www.nysun.com/article/31397?p...&access=792321

April 25 is Africa Malaria Day, but don't expect headlines reflecting on the unnecessary deaths of millions of Africans. Don't expect to hear about rallies organized by the Reverends Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton alleging racism behind these deaths. In fact, the only civil rights organization that has been fully involved and spearheading efforts to stop the epidemic is based in New York City. It's the Congress of Racial Equality. Roy Innis, the CORE chairman, recently issued a press release citing the enormous impact of malaria on Africans. He writes: "Every year, over 400 million African mothers, fathers and children are stricken by acute malaria."
    The problem, according to the writer, is that DDT is the most effective insecticide and of course DDT was banned in the 70s because it hurts some birds. The proposal is to allow DDT use *indoors* which would prevent bird exposure and achieve a 90% reduction misquitos entering the premesis. No info on how that reduction would correlate to reduced malaria cases, but I bet it's substantial. 250-300 million annually, maybe?

Re: Where are the greens on malaria?

And the obilgatory wikipedia article on DDT, with (as usual) a motherlode of information on the topic du jour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

It's tough to make it through an article like that when you can't get 1 paragraph in before the writer accuses the Europeans of being mealy-mouthed cowards that should be ignored because they aren't behind the war in Iraq. Sorry, but no matter how much that person knows about DDT and malaria it doesn't seem like they're trying very hard to make an objective, rational argument.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
        ...it doesn't seem like they're trying very hard to make an objective, rational argument.
        Nope, it certainly looks to be a subjective, rational argument. Why would you think it was anything else?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Nope, it certainly looks to be a subjective, rational argument. Why would you think it was anything else?
          I'm sure that most arguments are very rational to the subject making them. Trying to make something objectively rational is much more difficult.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
            Trying to make something objectively rational is much more difficult.
            And is that ever the goal of an opinion piece?
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Frankly, I'd rather let the planet flame out than stand by and have millions of fellow human beings die unnecessarily from bug bites.
              What an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                In the period from 1934-1955 there were 1.5 million cases of malaria in Sri Lanka, resulting in 80,000 deaths. After the country invested in an extensive anti-mosquito program with DDT, there were only 17 cases reported in 1963. Thereafter the program was halted, and malaria in Sri Lanka rebounded to 600,000 cases in 1968 and the first quarter of 1969.
                Probably just a coincidence.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                  And is that ever the goal of an opinion piece?
                  I would think that an opinion piece, like any persuasive writing, would need to be based around some facts on which the author and a possibly dissenting reader can agree. That common ground is what gives the logic of the opinion its weight.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                    I would think that an opinion piece, like any persuasive writing, would need to be based around some facts on which the author and a possibly dissenting reader can agree. That common ground is what gives the logic of the opinion its weight.
                    Right, but that's a far cry from being objective, in fact, by definition, it's subjective.
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I meant an objective argument, not an objective opinion. I don't care what you think, but if you try to convince someone you have to approach it objectively, not with a bias. You can't convince someone by saying you're really sure about something. You need facts and reason.

Comment

You can't convince someone by saying you're really sure about something. You need facts and reason.
                        And this has what to do with subjectivity vs. objectivity in writing?
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

It's tough to make it through an article like that when you can't get 1 paragraph in before the writer accuses the Europeans of being mealy-mouthed cowards that should be ignored because they aren't behind the war in Iraq. Sorry, but no matter how much that person knows about DDT and malaria it doesn't seem like they're trying very hard to make an objective, rational argument.
                          I think this is my bad. I accidentally linked to page 2 of 2.

http://www.nysun.com/article/31397?p...&access=792321

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                            I think this is my bad. I accidentally linked to page 2 of 2.

http://www.nysun.com/article/31397?p...&access=792321
                            Okay, this time I can't get one paragraph before environmentalists are accused of being "nothing but a bunch of hypocrites." Like that has anything to do with the validity of the arguments for or against DDT in Africa to combat malaria.

Comment

The hilarious thing about this thread is that it is yet another topic that involves as much controversy and false "crises" as the global warming thread.

DDT could save millions from malaria, yet the environmentalists got it banned due to a book that was written at the time.

"There are no substantial scientific studies so far which prove that DDT is particularly toxic to humans or other primates, compared to other widely-used pesticides. DDT can be applied directly to clothes and used in soap, with no demonstrated ill effects. Indeed, DDT has on rare occasions been administered orally as a treatment for barbiturate poisoning."
                              Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                              Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X