How to protect yourself from a 50 cal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to protect yourself from a 50 cal

This is an old one but I just saw it. Mythbusters Episode 34: Bulletproof Water

What they conclude is that if you can get under about 2-3 feet of water you are pretty safe from a 50 cal rifle shot at you at about 30 degrees.

9mm pistol maybe not.

Pretty neato.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: How to protect yourself from a 50 cal

I saw that one too. Very cool.

Comment

Just make sure their isn't a .50 cal under the water. Then your in trouble. :)

Comment

Lol. The issue is with supersonic rounds - .226, M1 Garand's .30, .50. They're going so fast that when they hit the water, the deceleration rips them to harmless little pieces within 2 feet. The subsonic rounds from the 9mm, etc., do not decelerate as much and are lethal up to 8 ft for the 9mm.

From 8 feet, the 12 ga. deer slug destroyed the ballistic gel and the hydrostatic shock ruptured the test tank they were using. In that situation, you're probably best off trying to throw some poop in the shooter's face or distracting the shooter with your high-pitched shrieks.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
          In that situation, you're probably best off trying to throw some poop in the shooter's face or distracting the shooter with your high-pitched shrieks.
          Doing either of those from underwater is going to be pretty tough :D

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
            Doing either of those from underwater is going to be pretty tough :D
            From experience, it is.

Comment

Anyone else heard that 6 feet of water will block all harmful radiation in the event of a nuclear catastrophe/attack?

Comment

I have heard that but never had enough radiation around to test it.....but when there is a nuclear fall out i will report back...:)
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo
                  Just make sure their isn't a .50 cal under the water. Then your in trouble. :)
                  From testing in BF2, I know this to be true. Also make sure when you go near a lake that there isn't a guy firing a mounted 50 cal out of the bottom of the lake.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Be careful out their Icky! :)

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                      Anyone else heard that 6 feet of water will block all harmful radiation in the event of a nuclear catastrophe/attack?
                      Yes. At that depth, I can't hear my wife at all so I'm certain this is true.

Comment

Water is an excelent radiation blocker. I don't remember the numbers but six feet sounds like enough. Water (or a material of with simular numbers of Hydrogen and density) is used in reactor sheilding.

Beta is blocked by clothing. Alpha by skin and neutron by things about the same weight as itselff. Alpha is the most damaging. Neutrons, having no charge is best stopped by hydrogen and water has alot of hydrogen.

Gamma radiation is best stopped by very dense materials. Lead being a prime example.

There is an old story I learned to remember this..

You have three cookies, a beta cookie, a alpha cookie and a neutron cookie.
                        One you have to eat, one you can put on a table a few meters away and one you must put in your pocket.

What do you do?

You eat the neutron cookie. Most of the netrons are going to pass right through you.
                        Put the beta cookie in your pocket. Most of the radiation will be stopped by your clothing.
                        Throw away the Alpha because if any of that get in you just give it up.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

How much water would you need for a trip to Mars? That's where the real "surviving radiation" problem's going to be.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Unfortunately 6 feet of water won't protect you from the BLAST. And of course, you have to come up to take a breath of cool clean contaminated air at some point. Still, points for effort, nuke-dodgers.
                            In game handle: Steel Scion
                            sigpic

Comment

Reactors are filled w/ water for this reason, right?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X