Snow Job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Job

The first time someone mentioned this to me last week, I thought they were kidding. Hire a White House press secretary right out of the Fox newsroom? Kidding, right? This is a bad joke, right?

Nope.

Well, you have to admit he's fit for the job. As one of several right-wing Fox News pundits, he's shown off a fantastic ability to tow the rebulican line, report false information and interject it with falsehoods of his own invention, all the while shutting down naysayers in real time, with real attitude, and one of the biggest sh_t eating grins I've ever seen. I can almost hear Bush saying it now - "Tony ... well, he's doin' a heckuva job."

Watching Tony give press briefings (snow jobs) on Fox News is going to make my head spin. I can't wait.

Re: Snow Job

lol @ jobs & fox news.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I need to take anything coming from MediaMatters.org with a huge grain of salt. The entire premise of their organization is to pick apart media outlets they feel have a conservative viewpoint and trash them as much as possible.

We know that Fox News is bad, they tow the Republican line. We all know that it's reprehensable to tow ANY line unless it's the Democrat/liberal line. Unless you're on-board with the liberals, you're just a horrid person/organization and deserve to be taken out in the street thrashed repeatedly.

That aside, the original post in this thread is VERY hostile.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        I need to take anything coming from MediaMatters.org with a huge grain of salt. The entire premise of their organization is to pick apart media outlets they feel have a conservative viewpoint and trash them as much as possible.
        Sure about this? Last time I checked, they pick apart any and every news outlet without exception. Do a listing by 'personalities.' Last time I checked, Wolf Blitzer and Miles O'Brien weren't right-wingers.

Originally posted by Apophis
        We know that Fox News is bad, they tow the Republican line. We all know that it's reprehensable to tow ANY line unless it's the Democrat/liberal line. Unless you're on-board with the liberals, you're just a horrid person/organization and deserve to be taken out in the street thrashed repeatedly.

That aside, the original post in this thread is VERY hostile.
        Please let me know where the forum rules state that hostile attacks on media personalities and/or television networks are not allowed before you delete the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
          Sure about this? Last time I checked, they pick apart any and every news outlet without exception. Do a listing by 'personalities.' Last time I checked, Wolf Blitzer and Miles O'Brien weren't right-wingers.
          Positive. Media Matters and FAIR are both conservative watchdog groups. Similar to The Media Report, AIM and Media Research Center being liberal watchdog groups. They all claim to be neutral, but that's only a poorly veiled attempt to gain credibility.

Please let me know where the forum rules state that hostile attacks on media personalities and/or
          television networks are not allowed before you delete the thread.
          Do I need to go make yet ANOTHER rule that states that hostility doesn't belong at TG? We do have one against abusive behavior, and we also have one against language (which includes trying to get around language filters by altering text so it isn't caught). I could easily address the opening post in this thread under EITHER of those two terms if you force my hand to do so. I would prefer that you just check your hostility at the door and act civil.

Comment

Not to turn this into yet another media bias thread, but I have to disagree with that analysis, Apophis. Most mainstream cable news outlets work on long running narrative themes for their broadcasts, mostly because it makes it faster and easier to write copy and arrange guests. One of the most consistent themes for the past 8 years or so has been how out of touch the Democratic party is and all the missteps they make. Conservative Republicans are also significantly over-represented in terms of guest commentary. Watch a full day of Sunday talk and you'd be surprised how much airtime they give to card-carrying Republicans.

Now, that is partisan favor developed over many years by a very capable PR system, and is worthy of respect. It is different from political advocacy, where you may see "liberal" values more represented. I think that is because most of what we think of as liberal values - social justice, equal and civil rights, environmentalism, PC inanity and even touchy-feely psychology has been mainstreamed into the professional culture. So you're going to see certain concepts as basic assumptions of fact just because that is the way the culture swings. That may change over time.

That's how I view it anyway. And I do think that Snow, who has frequently criticized Democrats and liberals under the guise of objective news is an excellent, if telling choice for Press Secretary. He's already used to lying to people.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Well, I think being upset at the idea that the press secretary might somehow stick to the White House's politics is being a little crazy. His job, as the press secretary, will be to publish the White House message. Did anyone honestly think the White House would tap Mary Mapes or Dan Rather for that job? I didn't think so.

So if I had to guess why people would be upset with Tony Snow, it's that given his successful and lucrative career, he's not going to be intimidated by the White House press corps, and he's far more likely to outclass that particular cesspool in every briefing.

Seriously. How can you be upset that the White House would choose a Republican press secretary? How is that a scandal?
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Thread pruned to keep it on-topic.

Comment

I dont think people find it funny that a republican is going to be the white house press secretary, but rather that the self proclaimed "fair and balanced" fox news network has an anchor that would actually take that job on, showing how far right he is as opposed to central, like Fox claims to be.

With that said, though, every major news network is biased one way or the other, its just that Fox is hipocritical enough to pretend that they arent biased.

Comment

In response to Apophis - you're right, and you'd be justified in clipping the thread for language. My apologies. And you are also justified in your points about mediamatters, however I think they do good, honest work, especially compared to other organizations such as FAIR and AIM.

I'm in disbelief at the audacity of this administration. Of course a press secretary has to be of the same mind as the administration, and as a former speechwriter Snow would seem at least minimally qualified to be in a position of public outreach.

What bothers me is that this is a slap in the face to the country - to put a character (who is filled with hostility) such as the one he represents on his daily radio show on the incredibly public-facing podium that is the White House press briefing room - it's an insult.

I liked Ari Fleischer. I sympathized with Scott McClellan. Tony Snow is - how can I say this - a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                      I dont think people find it funny that a republican is going to be the white house press secretary, but rather that the self proclaimed "fair and balanced" fox news network has an anchor that would actually take that job on, showing how far right he is as opposed to central, like Fox claims to be.

With that said, though, every major news network is biased one way or the other, its just that Fox is hipocritical enough to pretend that they arent biased.
                      I think many networks are hipocritical enough to pretend they aren't biased. FOX just happens to be one of the VERY few media outlets that is biased towards conservatives.

As for Snow working for Fox. Just because he works for Fox doesn't mean he's not allowed to have his own political affiliation or preference. You can work for a women's clothing store and be a man, just as you can work for a news outlet that claims to be fair and balanced and still belong to a specific political party.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely
                        In response to Apophis - you're right, and you'd be justified in clipping the thread for language. My apologies. And you are also justified in your points about mediamatters, however I think they do good, honest work, especially compared to other organizations such as FAIR and AIM.
                        I would expect you to think that MediaMatters does good honest work. The type of work they do leans towards your end of the political spectrum. Just as conservatives would feel that FAIR and AIM do good honest work in comparison to organizations like MediaMatters.

I think all of these groups have their uses. I don't think any of them are fair and completely honest, but they are all valuable when it comes to rooting out the facts to come up with your OWN fair and balanced opinion as opposed to the one your politcal party of preference or preferred media outlet is trying to shove down your throat.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa

To be clear, are you suggesting that for a network to be "fair and balanced", that every single employee would have to also be "fair and balanced"? What about the "Hannity and Colmes Show" do you find unfair or unbalanced?

Overall, I think FoxNews is definitely WAY more conservative than the other networks and maybe even a little to the right of completely objective. But if you think about it, comparing it to other networks, Fox would have to go much further to the right in order to truly balance out the mainstream media.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I saw Tony Snow speaking recently about the difference between being the spokesperson for administration policy and being an advocacy journalist. I think the ability to think and speak on the fly are about the only similarities. He seems like a sharp character and potentially an effective advocate for administration policy.

Comment

Oh, yeah, and Tony Snow? I don't care for his talk show at all. I almost always change the station if I'm driving home during his show.

He's a lapdog for the President. He'll be great as the White House Press Secretary.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X