Chernobyl Anniversary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chernobyl Anniversary

The anniversary of Chernobyl was yesterday so I thought I'd bump this excellent article that Apo(?) posted on here a few years back.

She has updated her rides through Cherynobyl in 2005 with a new section and some interesting video.

In case you don't know it is the "after story" of Chernobyl as told by a girl on a fast motorcycle.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Re: Chernobyl Anniversary

Wildlife returns to Chernobyl:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4923342.stm

Slashdot commentary:

http://science.slashdot.org/article..../04/20/2318242
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by GhostintheShell
      The anniversary of Chernobyl was yesterday so I thought I'd bump this excellent article that Apo(?) posted on here a few years back.

She has updated her rides through Cherynobyl in 2005 with a new section and some interesting video.

In case you don't know it is the "after story" of Chernobyl as told by a girl on a fast motorcycle.

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki.../chapter1.html
      If you haven't already, take a look. It's incredible.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

This is a fascinating read. It took me about an hour, and if you start it you won't stop. Plan your day accordingly.

Comment

After reading that, part of me wants to go there and see things for myself. It'd be interesting to be in a town with no sound.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
            After reading that, part of me wants to go there and see things for myself. It'd be interesting to be in a town with no sound.
            My thoughts exactly - everything seems so distant, and frozen in time.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

That motorcycle lady is a fraud; the pictures are real, but she toured Chernobyl in a car with a friend, not alone on a motorcycle. She did take a motorcycle helmet along, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                That motorcycle lady is a fraud; the pictures are real, but she toured Chernobyl in a car with a friend, not alone on a motorcycle. She did take a motorcycle helmet along, though.
                Not saying that I believe one way or another, but... proof?
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I remember that day very well...

The three news channels (our town didnt' have cable TV yet) were plastered with graphics showing the radiation plume spreading around the world. Well, my dad used to work as a radiologist and somehow we had a Geiger-counter lying around in our basement...

So the morning after, we went outside to see if any of this radiation plume had reached us. As an 11yr old kid, I thought it was the coolest thing walking around the yard checking for radiation.... pointing a microphone looking thing at plants and dirt and puddles and the dog - listening for the clicks it gave off to get faster... which, of course it didn't. Heh... looking back on it now, I think my dad just wanted to lead me on an adventure.. :icon_lol:

Comment

What a complete disaster. Interesting site. I find the cover-up the most disturbing aspect of the whole thing. One can learn a lot about the role of government and private interests by studying this.

NYTimes has a good interactive that contains interviews with the "liquidators" as well as photographs and writings:
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/26/wo...chernobyl.html

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                      I thought the hoax claim turned out to be a hoax?
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I certainly don't believe its a hoax. If someone has some solid info that it is a hoax please enlighten me.

I thought it was one of the most compelling things I've read online when it was first posted here 2 years ago, and just as interesting now that she has updated it and added some video.

Its probably the only thing I've come across online that I read every thing on every page. (And wanted more when I got to the end.)
                        Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                        Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                          I thought the hoax claim turned out to be a hoax?
                          The accusation was made that it was a hoax, but as you said, I believe the accusation itself was just a hoax. Some people heard the accusation and just assumed it was the truth.
                          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I have been looking for that article, thanks. I found it one day just stumbling across this vast internet and it was a very interesting read.

As for the hoax I am not sure because you do in the pictures see images of the bike she was riding. And if i remember correctly she says something about always having a partner on the trip so incase you crash or break down you have some one else that can help you out or get help, so the hoax may be a half truth with her partner being the person in the car.
                            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                              Go to the suburbs in New Orleans and you can do the same thing. Entire neighborhoods are empty and silent.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X