X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't see this one coming

Wow.

Originally posted by Reuters
    MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.
    A step in the right direction, finally.
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Re: I didn't see this one coming

So are we gonna get a reverse effect going, 3 years from now Mexico is gonna be closeing its boarders cause americans are wanting to illegally enter
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I agree with this, because there is no way you can erase the demand for it just like alcohol. Just gotta regulate.

And as long as cigarettes are legal this crap should be legal too.

Comment

i agree eggplant! more people die every year in america from smoking than drugs.

i wonder if it will end up being that we get all their folks lookin for work and they get our drug addicts.....?

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
          So are we gonna get a reverse effect going, 3 years from now Mexico is gonna be closeing its boarders cause americans are wanting to illegally enter
          People already go to Mexico for short times to get drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
            People already go to Mexico for short times to get drugs.
            Santa has given up on the reindeer and switched to mules (they're more lucrative).

Comment

If I'm reading this right, you all think this is a great idea?

Man o man, I agree about marijuana being legalized but cocaine and heroin?

Have you ever seen what those drugs do to people...

IMO it's a shame you guys think like this. (but that being said I respect your right to think this).
              Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by CNN
                Excerpts from changes approved Friday by Mexico's Senate to the country's Federal Penal Code:

Article 478: No criminal prosecution will be brought against:

I. Any person in possession of medications which contain substances classified as narcotics ... when these medications, in their nature and amounts, are those necessary for the treatment of the individual or persons in his custody or care.

II. Any drug addict or consumer who is found in possession of a narcotic for personal use.

Article 474: (Defines a "consumer" as):
                Any person who consumes or uses psychotropic or narcotic substances, and who does not exhibit any symptoms of addiction.
                A very wide and inclusive definition.

More from CNN:

Originally posted by CNN
                The bill says criminal charges will no longer be brought for possession of up to 25 milligrams of heroin, 5 grams of marijuana (about one-fifth of an ounce, or about four joints), or 0.5 grams of cocaine -- the equivalent of about 4 "lines," or half the standard street-sale quantity (though half-size packages are becoming more common).

"No charges will be brought against ... addicts or consumers who are found in possession of any narcotic for personal use," according to the Senate bill, which also lays out allowable quantities for an array of other drugs, including LSD, ecstasy and amphetamines.
                Some of these amounts are incredibly small.
                A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50

IMO it's a shame you guys think like this. (but that being said I respect your right to think this).

Agreed Magnum and I just took Mexico off my vacationing list!
                  sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me, interested on how it pans out for them.
                    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50

I don't think that drugs are a good thing for people to use, but you must keep in mind that the addicts that you deal with on the street are people that would find a way to ruin their lives regardless of the drugs available to them. I'm sure you've been in a huffer's house.

You don't interact with all of the "respectable" members of society that use coke and heroin on a regular basis because they haven't ruined their lives with it. They're still contributing members of society that don't need to interact with police any more than anyone else here at TG.

Think about all the addicts that you deal with. Are the laws keeping the drugs out of their hands now? No. So why deal with all the negative consequences of these useless laws? Instead, focus the anti-drug time, money and effort on education and treatment.

Oh, and tax the hell out of 'em, too.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

People are going to do heroin and cocaine no matter what the law is. If you outlaw it, people will end up using violence and other horrible things just to do these drugs. When, by law, people are allowed to do these drugs, there will probably be less violence because theres no fear of repercussions from the government. Im sure everyone has heard of the gruesome stories about how cocaine and heroin actually get across the border simply because they dont want to get caught by the government. This is a large reason why the war on drugs is completely worthless and is probably only there to let the people think the government is doing good, but thats just my take on it.

With that said, anyone that does these drugs are idiots. As cing said, they would probably find some other good way to mess up their lifes. At least if you let people do it lawfully, there wont be as much violence. Its kind of a lesser of two evils.

Comment

Well, I saw for the first time what they can do to someone in a car: 10 lane wide highway, 2 lanes turning left crossing the other 5 lanes on the other side. Red light, the idiot in the lane beside us decides he will try to go left on red through 3 lanes of traffic. He somehow makes it through after a few tries and lots of horn honking.

Step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

Comment

Mexico. The manana culture. How are they ever going to get anything done now?

:D

Comment

I'm really interested to see the cause and effect of this because I really don't know how it's going to turn out for their situation.

So what they want to do is get rid of the major dealers which are becoming a huge problem in mexico. Alright, so they legalize small ammounts for the users. But the only way I see it working to actually get rid of the dealers is if mexico itself started providing the drugs for the people. Because otherwise it's pretty much the same as before, There's just less people in jails and more money coming to the state because of that. But if the source of the drugs doesn't change I don't really see a lot of progress, atleast for the boundries they set now.

Though as far as a symbolic progress, it's huge. Mexicans won't start using more drugs but the drug culture will become more visible and I think more tolerant overtime. And maybe drug shops will start showing up and the street dealers will go away.

But I'm sure there's more people here that know about mexico's situation far more than I do.

what do you guys think?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X