Getting ready to graduate...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to graduate...

Ya, and I have no clue what i want to do...

My parents already said no to me being a professional pan-handeler, so, thats out of the question, but i want something in the computer field...

I've built several computers in my 18 years of existance...
    I've helped re-networked my school.
    I've gotten 3 awards this year, including a 500 dollar check. (Video Award, Technology Award, and Helpful Hand Award.)
    I play games, and learn everything i can about computers.

I guess i want to do something in the medical field... jk, something with computers. I orginally wanted to be a Computer Engineer, but, thats to much math for me, seeing is how highschool calculas was out of my legue when i took it last semester...

Anyway, anyone got any bright idea's as to what i can do?

(Comical jokes along the topic are much appreciated for a pick me up)
    Oyee

Re: Getting ready to graduate...

Both computer science and engineering do require a lot of math. I dunno about CE but the CS program at the University of Texas requires you to take courses covering multivariate calculus, set theory, graph theory, automata theory, and other fields within discrete mathematics.

However, UT teaches the more theory than practical stuff, so maybe other univiserties won't have such rigorous requirements. I've never had to use any calculus ever since taking that class, though. I'm assuming CE will also require a lot of math.

What about becoming a computer technician? A lot of people change majors or discover what their real interests are after a few years of college. I originally started out in CS but ended up getting degrees in both CS and biology.

edit: i hate QWERTY
    Last edited by tau_neutrino; 05-08-2006, 06:35 PM.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I had to have 2 Calculas's, Discrete and I think number theory to graduate with my CS degree. Plus I had an additional logic class.

Az
      [age-c1][command]

Comment

how about software programming.... ever been interested in creating a game or creating specific programs on demand...

i know at least over here you can make an absolute kiling in this. if a company needs a program to do a specific thing or solve a specific problem they come to you and you do the leg work... i would imagine there would be some kind of mathermatics involved in this though...
        or better yet put your two passions together..... mix computers with games and career and make the logical choice... be a manager at macdonalds....

or a games designer... god knows we need some real gamers out there producing something worth playing.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
          Ya, and I have no clue what i want to do...

I'd say it gets easier ... but I don't want to lie to you.

I've changed my college major 5 times even after getting $1500 worth of scholarships/awards for music in my senior year of high school. I can't major in music now, ... it would kill me. It's way too hard. More importantly, I like too many things, and art majors are very focused, ... there isn't enough time for anything else. I remember my first semester of college, I had classes MWF from 8am-2pm, and then T/TR from 9am-9pm. 12 hour Tuesdays and Thursdays. None of this time included the mandatory documented 5 hrs. practice time for vocal and 5 hrs. practice time for piano/theory/aural skills. Between classes and mandatory practice times, I was occupied 52 hrs/week. BRUTAL. I like to sing, but not enough to do it 52 hrs a week and having to pay for it.

I don't have much insight into computer fields, but I suppose you could always do some sort of web design or something. All the Comp. Sci. kids I know were total math nerds and had to take a lot of math classes, ... something which turned me off to Comp. Sci. as an option for my future.

To put it into perspective, my mom is 46 years old, has two degrees, and still doesn't know what she wants to be when she grows up. Sometimes that's just how it works out. The important thing is to appreciate your time in school, take classes you enjoy and have a good time while you're there (not TOO good a time, mind you).

Ooh, and another thing. Getting good grades in college is easy, but what makes it a bajillion times easier is going to class. Sounds simple enough, but you may find that once you get to college, convincing yourself to actually go to class is one of the biggest challenges.

Okay I'll get off my 'jaded-college-experience' soapbox now.

Comment

If you enjoy building the computer or the network, and not necessarily the parts themselves, two year associate programs from tech schools may be worth considering. Four year schools aren't dirt cheap anymore (I'm still paying my loans ten years after leaving school) and a four year degree isn't the job landing guarantee it used to be. I'll give you the advice I gave my neice and nephew when they graduated - If you want to go to college, go. If you're not sure, it doesn't hurt to wait a semester or two. A lot cheaper in the long run, too, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Comment

Nice advice, when i get time, rep+ to all.

I like hands on work, running around doing things, i found myself today helping someone in class convert a .wmv to .avi to export to DV camera to further more put it on a AVIO movie editing computer... While recording the morning announcments on VHS to broadcast it to the schools cable station, while(#2) helping someone record voices for a clay movie were working on, while(#3) showing the new principle for next year how everything's setup... :p I guess thats why i got those awards...

And today i'd say it was a easy day...

Clay movies I've been helping my friend on:

Movie 1

Movie 2 (Beta Production 1)

Movie 2 (Beta Production 2)

Me testing a Microphone i fixed in my tech class.

Oh ya, and i made this too, i got bored with "Normal" hair... And i didnt think the new principle liked it much, but I dont care...

Last edited by Black_V!per; 05-08-2006, 08:18 PM. Reason: Added my hair style.
              Oyee

Comment

you have all the time to decide what you wanna do for the rest of your life, dont rush it. Dont let people force you to decide what your future is, thats my big advice. People will say you have to decide now, not really, you can do just about anything with the background you have. I work at my school Media Services, doing the exact stuff you have done.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                  you have all the time to decide what you wanna do for the rest of your life, dont rush it. Dont let people force you to decide what your future is, thats my big advice. People will say you have to decide now, not really, you can do just about anything with the background you have. I work at my school Media Services, doing the exact stuff you have done.
                  this is true, i came out of what you would call highschool with top of my class physics and Chemestry.... too bad i hated those subjects.... you have to look at the course you want to do... not what you are best at... trust me, i did an English Law and History course at college, started badly... played a little catch up..... but i came out with thre solid a-levels and now im in university doing something i have always loved., Politics. and to tell you he truth i still dont know what i want at the end of this degree, im even considering taking another masters degree in a related field such as journalism or something to widen my options.

the moral of the story man.... you will probably not know what you want to do till your doing it... choose what you want to do because if you dont want to do it you wont.... even if you can see the benefit but still want to do something else.... do the other thing... after school its al your own motivation and if you dont motivate yourself on something you are enthusiastic about... you will not see it through to its conclusion.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

If you groove computers like me and you suck at math (a bad combination) stay away from the Engineering/Programming field and go with something like Information Management Systems. I transitioned to that in college after I figured out that writing papers in binary was not for me! This concentration is more geared to your MCSE and Cisco type things. It is geared more towards the actual workings of the network versus the programming required to use that network. Plus when you graduate, you have all your certs and are ready for the world!!
                    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Screw college....

Go down to your local Marine recruiter and tell him you want to take the ASVAB. Your score on that will determine what occupations you qualify for. If you're really good with electronics, computers and the like, you'll be able to get into a maintenance field. There you'll be trained on a specific type of equipment and will leave five years later with experience that makes you as marketable as someone with an electronics engineering degree. Oh, and Uncle Sam pays you for the training instead of you paying some college. And don't forget about the uniform that will ensure that you never have to over exert yourself in any quest for female companionship.

'Course if you're dumb you'll have the option of driving a truck or cooking in a chow hall.... Did I say "dumb"? That wasn't very PC of me. I meant "if you don't do well on the test". ;)
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I was wondering when you would show up with that responce. The military is the perfect place anything electronice, and dont forget the tradition. Or next option is to find a job you like and go to school to do that job, dont over look the oppurtunites to double major....CS/Business or marketing.....alot of work but very marketable when you get out.
                        -Vulcan

Comment

I knew you were waiting... ;)

Every single day I realize more and more how much of a better person I am because of my time in the Marine Corps. I see all of these college graduates getting hired by my agency and screwing up left and right because they have no common sense or any life experience at all.

Seriously, BlackViper. Go take the ASVAB. If you score well, enlist with the job of your choice. If you don't score well, tell the recruiter thanks anyway, but you're not interested in being a wireman. Although, four years in any job in the Marines would offer you a WEALTH of experience that will make you more marketable for the rest of your life in any job you want...
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            I knew you were waiting... ;)

Every single day I realize more and more how much of a better person I am because of my time in the Marine Corps. I see all of these college graduates getting hired by my agency and screwing up left and right because they have no common sense or any life experience at all.

Seriously, BlackViper. Go take the ASVAB. If you score well, enlist with the job of your choice. If you don't score well, tell the recruiter thanks anyway, but you're not interested in being a wireman. Although, four years in any job in the Marines would offer you a WEALTH of experience that will make you more marketable for the rest of your life in any job you want...

As you can see, that is why you never leave the military....:madsmile:

I actually agree with Cing on that one, if you are confused on what to do go take the test and see what you get.... The worst thing that can happen is you sober up 17 years later and realize that it was not a dream, it is the life you are currently living!!!

BTW- And definitely go Marines if the only thing you are concerned about is looking good in a uniform and talking in some guttural language that incomprehensible to the rest of the world!!!.
                            Last edited by TheBigC; 05-10-2006, 07:48 PM. Reason: Formatting
                            "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Well not only that, haveing military experience for the most part shows you are loyal respectfull and dependable. And then you have the privledge of saying you where a marine, what could be cooler then that
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...