The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

I'm not one to endorse wanton copyright infringement across the ether, but if you can find this book in PDF format and download it, do so. I just picked up a copy and whoo, wow. It's just about the coolest chemistry-for-kids book I've ever picked up. If not for the material, then for the humor value in the uncanny arrangement of the experiments and the soft focus on personal and environmental safety. There’s no goggles, lab coats, MSDS’s, and fume hoods in this classic.

Basically, it's a 'for fun' chemistry book published in 1960 that outlines 200 basic chemistry experiments that you can carry out "at home." That is if you're unconcerned about chemical waste disposal and follow helpful tips such as, "be sure not to breath in the fumes," and, "carefully score and saw in half the flash-light battery." In fact, it is rumored that the book was banned in the US for being 'dangerous' and fetches a high price in good condition (~$2000). I'm not so sure, but what's a bit of controversy? The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments may be dangerous by today's standards, but it is actually really, really good.

The experiments that are outlined in the book actually pretty cool and could be carried out by any industrious preteen or young adult. It starts with the equipment you’ll need, proper laboratory procedure, and some basic chemicals to pick up at your local wholesaler to get you started. Make fun things like soap and plastics, vulcanize rubber, learn how to distill alcohol, purify sulfur, and make potash. Sulfur and potash for Christs sake. Just make sure Johnny doesn't wash the chemical waste down the kitchen sink, alright? Learn about dynamite, nylon, and simple radioactive materials you can find around your house. Learn how to make it too.

This is the ultimate home chemistry book; it’s fun, you learn about chemistry (the hard way), and it’s the 1960’s at their best. Check it out, you wont be sorry. :)
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

There was some prank book or something online, I forget what its called, but it was the holy grail of how to make dangerous stuff, do funky things, prank people, and lots of other stuff.

Comment

Heh... I think I'll look for this book. I saw an old episode of Mr. Wizard's World a few months back and I was amazed that such "dangerous" experiments were done by kids, regardless of Mr. Wizard's supervision. I'm sure that most of his shows would today be considered unwise to broadcast...

Sigh...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
        There was some prank book or something online, I forget what its called, but it was the holy grail of how to make dangerous stuff, do funky things, prank people, and lots of other stuff.
        You're probably referring to the anarchists cook book. This one is definately not like that ;)
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I loved those kinds of shows, and they were few and far between in those days. So much has been lost, from tape and film decaying in forgotten archives....
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X