Sandbox Motto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandbox Motto

Made this a while back. Apply it to whatever person, post, thread, or position you prefer.

In game handle: Steel Scion
    sigpic

Re: Sandbox Motto

That should go in the sandbox thread we had going. It seems to be true sometime but i think alot of people have been putting alot more work into their posts, good or bad right or wrong. Really makes for some nice threads when its all civil and well planned out.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Powerful image.

It's really a shame that this forum can't represent to those looking for mature, respectful dialog the same excellence that Tactical Gamer has long represented to those looking for mature, tactical gameplay.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        It's really a shame that this forum can't represent to those looking for mature, respectful dialog the same excellence that Tactical Gamer has long represented to those looking for mature, tactical gameplay.
        I don't really agree with this. Just like TG has it's fuzzy areas (some members debate which tactics are acceptable), this forum can touch nerves. In general I think everyone in here is pretty civil with regard to dissenting views.

I do agree with what Steeler is getting at, though, and that is putting out lazy, unreferenced generalizations. Such things are more annoying/boring than they are disrespectful, however.

Of course all of this represents my own lazy generalizations, so the circle continues.

Comment

I agree with AMosely. As I've said before, other sites are far, far worse. It may not always be polite conversation, but I recall being floored the first few weeks on months on TG at the level of civil discourse, versus my experience on other forums in the past.

That said, it can always be improved. I know I try to make an real effort these days to chill out on any snark when posting - I know it's made my time here more pleasant, and it allows me to more easily see any inconsistencies or vaguaries in my own positions.

My appreciation to Wyz for his persistent, gentle reminders of the importance of civility.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I'm sure lots of folks will see plenty of shades of gray. "Other sites are worse" doesn't comfort me much as long as "it can always be improved" is fair to say.

The way I see it, a lazy generalization is like .. well.. let's take bunnyhopping. You're exploiting the conversation, instead of the engine, to get your argument somewhere faster than you'd otherwise be able to get it (or, sometimes, to get your argument places that you otherwise flat out wouldn't be able to get it). And lazy generalizations aren't the only "tactic" used in this forum toward that end.

While we vehemently prevent people from exploiting engines left and right, we're allowing the conversational equivalent in this forum on almost a daily basis.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Taking it way too seriously guys.

This was just something that occured to me while watching the big boys duke it out on the talk shows and in journals. We all have a tendency to arm ourselves with just enough information as we can conveniently carry, then launch it at our foes with extreme prejudice. The factual depth or even accuracy of that information, however, becomes incidental to the argument once the cannon has been fired.

"You may have proven me wrong, or at least cast doubts on my analysis, but I remain resolute that my opinion is correct, regardless of supporting facts. I FEEL that I'm right."
              Last edited by Steeler; 05-25-2006, 05:15 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Keeping an "open mind" means being willing to deeply analyze how you arrived at your opinion, and baring that process to your "opponent". It's a matter of realizing that you may have misstepped on that path.

When faced with something I vehemently disagree with, I try to exercise Hanlon's Razor. There's no value to getting angry or annoyed. Instead, I try to understand how someone could arrive at that position. Perhaps I'll identify their misstep. Or perhaps it will illuminate my own.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Never Say That We're Taking It Way Too Seriously!

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                  [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                  Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler
                    Taking it way too seriously guys.
                    How many times have we heard that rebuttal from players who ultimately proved unqualified to play on our servers?

I guess we humans choose where we're going to excel and try not to take the rest too seriously.

Comment

Uh, not sure how I'm supposed to take that, Wyz.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm sure that says more about what I'm saying than it does about you.

Love the graphic. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
                          That should go in the sandbox thread we had going. It seems to be true sometime but i think alot of people have been putting alot more work into their posts, good or bad right or wrong. Really makes for some nice threads when its all civil and well planned out.
                          Could you please cite these threads instead of making these generalizations??? :p

Seriously, it seems like there's a huge tendancy to post what 'feels' right according to peoples' preconceptions on issues (and undoubtedly according to what they've heard pundits expouse), and in my opinion too little factual evidence backing it up. This occurs plenty on both sides of the issues. Especially in an internet forum, linking to source materials should be a SOP.

I've been doing my best to try and stay out of the sandbox recently because of this largely rhetorical style of argument. Its hard b/c I'm still looking for jobs online ~3-4 hours a day, and TG is an all too convenient distraction. ;)
                          Beatnik

Comment

I think the sandbox is fine, more or less, though I can't cite a study to support my assertion. We discuss things here the way people talk not the way legal documents are written. If I say "Al Gore has gay sex with monkeys" someone might say "really leejo? I hadn't heard that one. Can you give me a source?" and I might say "Hell no you commie goat plooker. Believe or die!" or I might throw them a source, or I might ignore the request. Who cares?

Comment

Without citing relevant substantiation of your points, all you're engaging in is 'political theater', or creating the illusion of actual discourse. Think Crossfire. If having the illusion of an actual debate is fine for some in here, that's fine I guess. Just don't expect to change any minds, or having any kind of real impact.

Of course, this applies mostly to the politically charged topics/threads. But in other threads, as in your recent music thread, providing a link makes the readers' comprehension so much more thorough.
                              Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X