The Latin thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latin thread

Ok, I am the only one whose tired of not knowing what Santa and Beatnik are saying to each other in their sigs? I thought what the rest of us could do would be to start compiling a list of the latin portions of their sig - whenever it changes - and then we could find some way to translate it. I figure that between the lot of us, we ought to be able to figure it out.

Let's get this started:
    Santa: Feles Beatnik! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui
    Beatnik: "Stercus accidit, Santa"

Remember: if one of them changes their sig, capture the new latin portion and paste it here. Then we just some folks to post some good latin translating links.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Re: The Latin thread

Salve, Diceman!

Believe it or not, most of these phrases can be Googled and interpreted with a little juggling:

"Feles Beatnik! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui."
    (You bad) cat Beatnik! Why don't you use the (litter) box? I put new litter in it.

"Stercus accidit, Santa".
    #%&* happens, Santa!

There are some good websites and books out there with "everyday" latin phrases. For latin translation - these are the best web sites* I have found/used in the past:

Perseus Peoject Latin Dictionary - Good overall dictionary

Whttaker's (Latin) Words - Excellent dictionary that can interpret some grammatical aspects of your query

Verbix Latin Verb Conjugator - If you know a word is a verb and what the first person present tense is, this will conjugate it for you

* These last three links are good, but not comprehensive and are more useful if you have a basic understanding of Latin grammar (Vocative case anyone?). There are often difficultues using these to translate especially with the liberties that are often taken in translating Latin to modern day colloquial English. e.g. the first phrase above: "Feles Beatnik! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui." Could also be translated: "You suck Beatnik! Why don't you use the wicker chest? I put new straw in it." Then again, maybe that's what Santa meant after all!
    Last edited by loyalguard; 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM.
    LoyalGuard

Comment

desinis queri.

Comment

Quisnam est queribundus?

Comment

I'll thank you to leave my queribundus out of this discussion.

No that's just my one and only latin phrase: Quitcher bitchin' roman-style.

Comment

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Nice!

Comment

My WoW toon's name is Latin.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                  My WoW toon's name is Latin.
                  What's that just an extra name you have lying around?:row__593:
                  LoyalGuard

Comment

It was a "scratch" name. ;)
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

HAHA. I had no idea anyone else was even reading em. Hell, i didnt even know beatnik was reading it until he replied back in his own sig. I think it all started when Beatnik put a latin phrase in his sig that meant something along the lines of "Everyone looks smart when they speak latin".

Comment

LOL Yeah it translated to 'Everything said in Latin sounds profound'. Then I noticed Santa had a latin phrase ending in Beatnik in it and got scared. It was something like "Are you drunk again, Beatnik?" So I replied with some other nonsense.

There were a couple back and forths between the sigs before the current ones.

I didn't think anyone else really knew latin (I sure as hell don't) . Thank the gods for google! :)
                        Beatnik

Comment

They're at it again!

Santa: Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
                          Beatnik: Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes.

loyal's handy dictionaries lead me to believe these translate as follows:
                          Santa: If you can't read this, you're a fool.
                          Beatnik: If you can read this, you have too much education.

I guess this could also mean "Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't", roman-style.

Edit: I still can't figure out tau's. Something about shooting a large rock with a catapult.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Originally posted by Diceman
                            I still can't figure out tau's. Something about shooting a large rock with a catapult.[/i]
                            Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
                            I have a catapult. Unless you give me all your money, I'll hurl an enormous rock at your head.
                            LoyalGuard

Comment

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem Tau.

Signed,
                              Anguis in herba

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...