Summer Reading Recommendations....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Reading Recommendations....

Ive been wanting to purchase some books to read over the next couple months but haven't really found anything that caught my eye.

So in my persuit of a good read I come here asking for your suggestions. Post a book/novel/whatever that you feel is worthy of a read.

I'm game for anything other then some super fantasy novels :P.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Summer Reading Recommendations....

Just finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hossenini. It is a really good book. Check out some of the reviews and descriptions at amazon

Comment

"The End of History and the Last Man" by Francis Fukuyama. He has another new one
      "America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy "

Read "The End of History and the Last Man" first. It was written before 9/11 and is quite prophetic. I am getting the new one tomarrow.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

An Instance Of The Fingerpost is absolutely fantastic. I'm chugging though Patrick O'Brien's books these days.

Comment

Anything by Michael Crichton or Isaac Asimov is excellent. If you've never read the book version of Jurassic Park, start with that.

Comment

The best two books I've read over the past year have been "Ecological Imperialism" by Alfred Crosby and "Beyond the 100th Meridian" by Wallace Stegner. Charles Darwin's "Voyage of the Beagle" wasn't bad either but it was a bit less stimulating than the other two.
            sigpic

Comment

Godforsaken Sea is a fun read. It's about the Vendee Globe race, a solo circumnavigation of the earth that takes sailors from the coast of France south to the tip of Argentina, then south to circle Antarctica before turning back north. From the blurb:

The Southern Ocean is the sailor's Everest. These are unquestionably the most dangerous waters in the world: hurricane infested, frigid, wholly unpredictable, and so remote, according to Derek Lundy, that "only a few astronauts have ever been further from land than a person on a vessel in that position." Encircling Antarctica, this fearsome body of water has terrorized sailors and wrecked the ablest of ships throughout maritime history. Imagine, then, a round-the-world, single-handed sailing race of the most extreme kind--no stopping, no assistance--requiring each lone sailor to spend half the total race distance (roughly 13,000 miles) fighting this nightmarish, merciless sea.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X