World Cup is almost here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa
    started a topic World Cup is almost here!

World Cup is almost here!

Almost June 9th! Who else is gonna be watchin' as many matches as they possibly can? The US is in a tough Group with Italy, Czeck Republic, and Ghana. Any of those teams could probably advance to the playoff round. Our first match is vs Czeck Republic on the 12th. Apparently the second place of our Group plays Brazil. So if we wish to get as far as we did last time, we better get first in our Group because i really dont want the US to run into Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

Ill be watching most of Brazils matches just to see that guy play. Hes arguably the best in the world, and he pretty much prooves his skill in that video.

• Addict
    replied
    Re: World Cup is almost here!

Oh yes, I'm getting QUITE ready to watch. In a pool(for fun, no money) here at work I ended up with Argentina, Poland, Portugal, and Togo(ugh). Luckily I didn't get any teams opposite USA so I won't have to root against my own teams...

I used to go to quite a few Chicago Fire games when they were playing in the college stadium in Naperville(close to where I live). Lots of fun, a lot of good players on that team.

Leave a comment:

• CingularDuality
    replied

Originally posted by Lt.Snow
    OT: Does anybody know of a good place to order soccer jerseys from, besides kitbag.com, and from North America?
    If you click on the TacticalMarket link in my sig, and search for "world cup jersey" in the Apparal category, you'll find a bunch of jerseys listed, but for some reason they're unavailable right now... Keep checking, though, if you can, because that obviously supports TacticalGamer.

They are available on Amazon's main site, though:
    Team USA navy blue jersey

Leave a comment:

• IRS_Agent
    replied

Well in case my fellow Americans want anymore proof that Europeans are completely obsessed with soccer/football http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060510/...up_sickdays_dc Heard this on NPR and had to look it up.

Leave a comment:

• Faultline
    replied

The US outplayed Germany for most of the game it seemed. I hope the US can make it through their first group, what a killer.

Leave a comment:

• Santa
    replied

In 2002 we started the tournament ranked 13th and we beat Mexico 2-0 (It was amazing), and then lost to Germany 1-0. In that loss to Germany i recall either that the German goal was complete BS, or we were robbed of a goal by a bad call. I think it was a bad call by the linesman on if the ball crossed the goal line or not? Memory is a bit sketchy, but regardless Germany went on to place second and we almost beat them.

For the '06 world cup wikipedia has us ranked 9th going in. Its also a good resource for the times for each game. Looks as though Italy (who is in our group) is ranked 8th, so that should be a great match between USA and Italy.

Leave a comment:

• Acid
    replied

Where is all the smack talk? I will be watching it.

Leave a comment:

• derdmeh
    replied

Originally posted by TG_Santa
    ...Ronaldo and Ronaldinho...
    no way!

Leave a comment:

• Faultline
    replied

Originally posted by Turbo
    Ronaldinho said he would like to play in the US. Could you imagine someone that good playing MLS soccer, I hope he comes over here and play's sometime. It is the most played sport in the US I dont know why it isn't bigger yet.
    We already have football, it's uhh...just different :)

Shame it hasn't caught on across the world either but I can see why since it's much more expensive with all the required equipment.

MLS doesn't quite catch my eye as much as seeing the different countries compete. Wish they had the Cup annually.

Leave a comment:

• Turbo
    replied

Ronaldinho said he would like to play in the US. Could you imagine someone that good playing MLS soccer, I hope he comes over here and play's sometime. It is the most played sport in the US I dont know why it isn't bigger yet.

Leave a comment:

• Polska
    replied

I'll admit i'm not the biggest fan of the sport. However when the world cup rolls around I just can't resist, it's in my European roots. I'll be glued to every game I can. I also can't wait to watch the Brazilians in action, and of course Poland :P.

Leave a comment:

• Santa
    replied

Originally posted by Mateo
    Amen. We fielded a team that noone pays atention to, everyone hates, and will only get noticed if they win. That's a shame. By all reports, this is one of the better teams we have had.
    Ive seen almost all of their games since about January, and i can definatly back up those reports. Its kind of sad how nobody really pays attention to them. The only way anybody will is if they somehow manage to make it to the Final in a World Cup. If that ever happens, i think soccer will really start to boom in America. It already has in the past 10 or so years when MLS started. Sadly, most of our national team players play in european clubs (I cant blame them). We'll know things have turned around once most of our national team players play for MLS clubs, or when european players come to America to play soccer.

Originally posted by Faultline
    I can't wait for the games to begin. I won't have to set my alarm for 3:30 AM anymore to catch the games either, I have DVR!!
    Last world cup kind of sucked for that reason. I hope its never hosted in another Asian country again, for the sake of my beauty sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Faultline
    replied

I can't wait for the games to begin. I won't have to set my alarm for 3:30 AM anymore to catch the games either, I have DVR!!

Leave a comment:

• Turbo
    replied

I can't wait for the world cup, all the games will be televised in the US finally. The US has a tough road ahead of them though, I hope they can pull it off and move on the the next round.

Leave a comment:

• Lt.Snow
    replied

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL????? Because I am, I am ready to miss allot of homework to enjoy this event, and since my team is not in it (Canada) I wont be disappointed with any games. However I hope Germany will win their bracket, and England hopefully will win a few too. We will of course see some serious skill from little Ronaldo and his Brazilian team. God I hope there is coverage in HD.

OT: Does anybody know of a good place to order soccer jerseys from, besides kitbag.com, and from North America?

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X