Gaming as an Olympic Sport?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming as an Olympic Sport?

Interesting article on CNN.com today. Major League Gaming is lobbying the IOC to bring competitive gaming to the Olympics at least as an exhibition sport in 2008.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/31/comm...ex.htm?cnn=yes
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: Gaming as an Olympic Sport?

Good luck! I think Fatality is as good an athelete as your average olympic curler, but I bet it's going to be a tall order squeezing it in.

Comment

LOL! If that were even considered, it would make a mockery of everything the Olympics represents.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Oh I disagree. I think there are olympic-level gamers. The really good ones are in superb physical condition too.

That and the IOC has been much quicker on the draw to make a mockery of everything the olympics represents.

Comment

I want to go out for the 12 .oz curl, and olympic couch racing. I feel I can really represent our country in this endeavor.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
            Oh I disagree. I think there are olympic-level gamers. The really good ones are in superb physical condition too.
            So you are thinking perhaps that someone might capture double gold in Counterstrike and the 400m hurdles?

For me, this opens up into a wider debate on what is and what is not an Olympic sport. I find that they've already included many events ("sports") which don't belong.
            That and the IOC has been much quicker on the draw to make a mockery of everything the olympics represents.
            True, but doubling the idiocy won't help.
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Maybe. I think that there are certain gamers who are playing at a completely different level from most of us and they're physical and mental accomplishments are roughly equivalent to, and as impressive as what the airgun competitors do, or the curlers, or table tennis, etc.

No, it's not hockey or the downhill or boxing, but excellence at that level does require physical conditioning and preternatural skill.

So while I think it's unlikely, I don't see any problem with it and I don't think it mocks anything. It's just new and different.

Comment

Originally posted by icky
                LOL! If that were even considered, it would make a mockery of everything the Olympics represents.
                Why?

Skeet Shooting is an olympic sport. For some reason, I don't see the Greeks doing any of that.

Comment

Wait, is this going to be a summer or winter event?
                  ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                  No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

'08 is summer isn't it?

Comment

'08 is summer isn't it?
                      Yup, Beijing. That is, unless the USMC defeats the PLA before then!
                      LoyalGuard

Comment

Yeah, but why on earth would they make computer gaming a summer olypic sport? I mean, think heat dissapation
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hula
                          "If they can't figure out sports to give real medals to, then you can forget about them adding 'let's pretend' sports,"
                          That about sums it up. And who determines what is played? Why would it even have to be a game even? Might as well be a standardized action/response competition.

Although - with the IOC's recent record.. I can see the introduction of 'Dance, Dance, Revolution' at the Olympics in '08 with murky clarity. Mix it up with American Idol while your are at it and get a real show going.
                          sigpic

Comment

I dunno. A bunch of people sitting in a LAN center doesn't make one want to throw another log on the fire. I think a key component of winter sports is the presence of ice or snow or something like that, isn't it?

Comment

I guess it would subsequently spawn "Official IOC certified level LAN centers"?
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X