Oriana Fallaci sure hates Islam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oriana Fallaci sure hates Islam

This article ties into the debate some recent threads here concerning the intention or design of Islam to rule and conquer. Although it is purely opinon, I found some arguments quite compelling. Some of you (maybe most) have probably never heard of Oriana Fallaci - she's been around quite a while though, and has witnessed and recorded quite a bit of the 20th century. To call her an agitator is an understatement.

A bit long, but highly recommended.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten.../060605fa_fact

Re: Oriana Fallaci sure hates Islam

Ha. I read this earlier in the week. Interesting.

Comment

Wait........leejo and AMosely not disagreeing?

99. A smiley face is not used to mark a minefield.
      100. Claymore mines are not filled with yummy candy, and it is wrong to tell new soldiers that they are.
      101. I am not allowed to mount a bayonet on a crew-served weapon.

Comment

Khomeini snapped, “Our customs are none of your business. If you do not like Islamic dress you are not obliged to wear it. Because Islamic dress is for good and proper young women.” Fallaci saw an opening, and charged in. “That’s very kind of you, Imam. And since you said so, I’m going to take off this stupid, medieval rag right now.” She yanked off her chador.
        Hah! I love it. I once asked the Imam of the Al-Aqsa Mosque a question, talking about how liberal Christians compete with more conservative Christians over interpretation of Christianity, and asking how different interpretations were debated in Islam. After what I can only assume was a very poor translation took place, an argument ensued in Arabic for the next 15 minutes between the Imam and his advisors. He eventually gave some useless answer about how there is no "Pope" in Islam and everyone is free to think what they want. We were then informed that it was time to leave. :) I was later told that they were arguing over whether or not to tell me they supported suicide bombing. Leaders never have anything interesting to say!
        [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan25
          Wait........leejo and AMosely not disagreeing?
          Well, I didn't say I agree with her...!

I do like to think I at least consider both sides of any given argument. I would think the same of leejo, he seems to be very familiar with his dissenters and their logic as well.

Comment

Damn that is a fierce woman. I have to respect her toughness and willingness to confront something no matter how "uncomfortable", and not by proxy but face to face.

Comment

This amazing woman Oriana Fallaci has died.

Comment

I think the often used term "Islamic Facism" is innaccurate, historically inncorrect and often used by people with no evidence to back up their claim. All these groups seemed to be lumped together - the ultra-Wahhabist's of Al Qadia, Hezbollah, Hamas, Talbian, PLO and any of the Iraqi's fighting the US. Many of these groups, being Sunni or Shia, regard the other's sect as enemies and inifidels.

Does any one who is serious going to equate the tenents of the Muslim religion with the political phenomenon of facism? Historically, Facism was a movement of the middle class (and wealthly) that wanted to suppress the working class and suppress democracy. Fascism is nationalist and usually virulently racist, the Nazis being an example.

The author Daniel Pipes, who writes for the ultra-conservative Front Page magazine, said "I applaud the increasing willingness to focus on some form of Islam as the enemy, but find the word fascist misleading. Few historic or philosophic connections exist between fascism and radical Islam."
                |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
                - Check me out on The Onion
                - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Well, R.I.P Orianna, though probably not too peacefully.

As for Islamic 'Fascists,' - anyone willing to use this term should logically accept being called an 'Imperialist' for exactly the same reasons. Overgeneralization is a mistake, especially when killing is going to be involved. This holds true for both/all parties in this modern 'war on terror.'

If Bin Laden is a fascist, then Bush is an imperialist. I would argue that both are not, but regardless, the terms are mutually inclusive.
                  Last edited by Mosely; 09-15-2006, 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                    Well, R.I.P Orianna, though probably not too peacefully.
                    What does this mean?
                    New to TG?

Comment

It means she is/was a restless spirit - souls like this (in my belief) do not rest peacefully. Although, the realist side of me says it makes no difference - once you are dead, you and your soul cease to exist. Of course, these are matters that have troubled humans throughout time. I have a feeling Oriana probably leaned to the realist side.

Comment

From your perspective she was an angry agitator and therefore is a restless spirit, is that right?

From my perspective she was sounding the clarion for the rest of the world much like Brigitte Gabriel, Walid Shoebat and Nonie Darwash. If she is a restless soul it is because she saw her words go unheard (in my belief).
                        New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                          From my perspective she was sounding the clarion for the rest of the world much like Brigitte Gabriel, Walid Shoebat and Nonie Darwash.
                          More like Cassandra.

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                            From your perspective she was an angry agitator and therefore is a restless spirit, is that right?

From my perspective she was sounding the clarion for the rest of the world much like Brigitte Gabriel, Walid Shoebat and Nonie Darwash. If she is a restless soul it is because she saw her words go unheard (in my belief).
                            I would argue that she's a restless soul from both perspectives, wouldn't you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                              I would argue that she's a restless soul from both perspectives, wouldn't you agree?
                              Yes, I just respectfully disagree with your perspective.
                              New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X