Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

    Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Shatner's 'experimentation' with spoken word renditions of popular songs in the 70's - mostly contained on his album 'The Transformed Man' which some call brilliant, others call lunacy.

    Well, now you can be the judge as Shatner presents an unforgettable version of 'Rocket Man' in which he portrays the narrator as a dopehead/drunk instead of an astronaut.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6...20Rocket%20Man

    Yes, he is serious.

  • #2
    Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

    Originally posted by AMosely
    Not sure if anyone here is familiar with Shatner's 'experimentation' with spoken word renditions of popular songs in the 70's - mostly contained on his album 'The Transformed Man' which some call brilliant, others call lunacy.

    Well, now you can be the judge as Shatner presents an unforgettable version of 'Rocket Man' in which he portrays the narrator as a dopehead/drunk instead of an astronaut.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbv6...20Rocket%20Man

    Yes, he is serious.
    That album pales in comparison to Nimoy's oevure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

      in the 70s... psh... Shatner released another CD a couple years ago called Has Been, and I'm not ashamed to say that I own it and listen to it regularly.

      I love William Shatner
      --------

      Zephyr: Besides Wyzcrak and his godly voice; the kind of voice that you will expect to say "Zephyr, I need you to build an ark at Marine Start, with room for two of every structure so that I may turret spam for 40 days and 40 nights" that is.

      Squeak:Sometimes I'm awed by zibs genius. Then I remember he's Canadian and I feel significantly less threatened.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

        Shatner is THE MAN. Everything he touches is gold. Well...almost anyway.
        Seriously though, he's great.

        I'll check out the video when I get home.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

          Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          That album pales in comparison to Nimoy's oevure.
          You mean oeuvre, right? Oevure is from that song, right?

          O e vu re
          O e vu re
          O e vu re
          O e vu re
          In the jungle
          the mighty jungle
          The lion sleeps tonight
          :icon19:

          In any case I don't think it's fair to compare Shatner's album to Nimoy's full creative output. Did you see Nimoy's groundbreaking work on Sasquatch on In Search Of? Game over man!

          Better to compare other spoken word versions of Rocket Man, I think.

          http://homepage.mac.com/heatherhamli...Theater35.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

            To me, the main difference between Shatner and Nimoy is that Nimoy actually sings.

            Shatner's 'Has Been' was pretty good, but not nearly as completely insane as 'The Transformed Man' - which, did anyone notice, has "Captain Kirk from Star Trek" written right under the title on the album cover.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

              Man I just checked out Has Been. I'm a big Adrian Belew fan. This album must be bumpin, with Henry Rollins, Adrian Below, Aimee Mann...?!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                HA! Rocket Man just came on the radio.

                Yeah, Elton John's version is best.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                  Originally posted by leejo

                  In any case I don't think it's fair to compare Shatner's album to Nimoy's full creative output. Did you see Nimoy's groundbreaking work on Sasquatch on In Search Of? Game over man![/url]
                  I've seen this episode. Nimoy adds such flair that it makes searching for the elusive apeman bareable for awhile.
                  Last edited by Faultline; 06-05-2006, 05:19 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                    http://www.tolkiencollector.com/movies/bibobag.mov

                    The sound is a little faint but it's still a classic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                      Originally posted by leejo
                      You mean oeuvre, right? Oevure is from that song, right?

                      O e vu re
                      O e vu re
                      O e vu re
                      O e vu re
                      In the jungle
                      the mighty jungle
                      The lion sleeps tonight
                      :icon19:
                      Crap, I thought I misspelled that. No spelling bee championship this year. :row__681:

                      And you are showing your age quoting that song.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                        Finally got to watch the video. It's breathtaking! :D

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                          Originally posted by leejo
                          Man I just checked out Has Been. I'm a big Adrian Belew fan. This album must be bumpin, with Henry Rollins, Adrian Below, Aimee Mann...?!
                          "Has Been" is an awesome album. I bought it on a whim about a year ago, and I still listen to it with some regularity. It has received a lot of play time in my stereo.

                          [drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

                          Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
                          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

                          Treat others as you would have them treat you

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                            /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

                            Yeah, Shatner's cover of Pulp's Common People received a lot of airtime in 2004. I was building a deck in October that year and it seemed like Sirius 26 was only playing that, The Libertines and Rilo Kiley each weekend I was working on the darn thing with the windows open and stereo on...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Bill Shatner - Rocket Man

                              Okay, that was interesting and all, but I don't think there is ANY comparison between Shatner's spoken word rendition of Rocketman and this one:

                              [media]http://www.tacticalsites.com/~apophis/video/rocketman.mov[/media]
                              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X