Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Coulter

http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebu...ap2800202.html

To sum up: Ann Coulter writes a book and says some outrageous things. Sen. Clinton chews her out in a statement. Etc.

For those who haven't read it, check out my world-famous "never get into a fight with a puppet" post.

I think Ms. Coulter is proving a corrollary to the puppet-fighting axiom: if you are a puppet, pick a fight.

Re: Ann Coulter

Ah, Ann Coulter. For those days that I worry that everything is right with the world.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
    [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
    Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

Ann Coulter is funny.

My question is this.

Is prostituting your mind and ideas worse than prostituting your body?

I mean she can't actually believe the bile she spews, can she? She seems smarter than that.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Coulter often makes some good points, but she's such a bitch about it. I think she hurts her cause more than she helps. But, hey, why should she care? She's selling lots of books!

I heard someone summarize on the radio:

Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter are both good at pointing out when the emperor is wearing no clothes. But Ann then feels the need to also point out that the emperor is also fat, bald, sweaty, under-endowed, short and ugly.

She's unable to stick to the relevant facts and seems to always take things to the personal level.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter are both good at pointing out when the emperor is wearing no clothes.
          Unless, of course, they happen to like the emperor, or when it's economically advantageous to go after the duke or the baron instead.

Factually inaccurate, bloviating hypocrites making a buck from ignorance and hate.

There is a certain type of slap often described in cruder parlance that I would just as well avoid mentioning. However, in light of Coulter's comments she is particularly deserving of such a blow.
          In game handle: Steel Scion
          sigpic

Comment

Ann Coulter calling someone ugly is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Comment

I think Ann Coulter is a pill, but she has a lot of company on "the other side of the aisle." Lots of bloviating hypocrites make a good living, often as public servants, presenting inaccurate facts and spreading hate to the ignorant.

I think Hillary Clinton and Ann Coulter are basically two peas in a pod: ambitious, cold jerks. I like seeing them in a catfight.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                I think Ann Coulter is a pill, but she has a lot of company on "the other side of the aisle." Lots of bloviating hypocrites make a good living, often as public servants, presenting inaccurate facts and spreading hate to the ignorant.

I think Hillary Clinton and Ann Coulter are basically two peas in a pod: ambitious, cold jerks. I like seeing them in a catfight.

It's been said countless times over the last couple of days, but Ann Coulter is the Al Franken of the conservative side.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I've never heard Clinton or Franken come close to the level of unapologetic vitriol that spews from Coulter. IMO, they are simply not comparable - there is no law that states there must be parallel crazy in every field on every topic. Even if there were major comparable figures on the "left," that doesn't excuse the level of sheer tastelessness that she trades in, especially given the massive microphone the MSM frequently gives her.
                  In game handle: Steel Scion
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I might concede a Randi Rhodes comparison, but not so much the other names being submitted. Franken and Clinton, while left, are not in the same league as Coulter.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Comment

Clinton, not even close.

Franken can say some pretty nasty things. But there are two big differences. First he started out as a comedian. Comedians say rude nasty things all the time. Coulter has never claimed to be a comedian. (But if she was she would be funny.) That is a major contextual difference.

Second Franken tends to keep the really ugly stuff pointed at the powerful. Coulter (and those like her) will attack anyone they see as being different.
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

What ugly things has Franken said, comparable to things said by Coulter? We have direct quotes from Coulter, but no one's mentioned anything of Franken's.

Comment

I think Ann Coulter baits liberals a lot, but I don't think that's as becoming or cute as some people do. My wife bought one of her books in an airport years ago (before either of us knew how...uh...provacative she likes to be) and it made some good points but also lapsed into the same silly generalizations and fuzzy thinking (all liberals think...all liberals do...) that drives us batty when people direct it at conservatives or republicans.

Anyway, what I find interesting, and sad, in all of this is that Sen. Clinton and now others are *choosing* to engage her directly in a fight. This only serves to cheapen them and elevate her. There are lots of things about Bubba that I don't like but lord knows he is SMOOTH and very good. A natural leader and a devastating politician. Can anyone imagine him directly confronting a partisan hack writer? I can't, because I think it's beneath him. He might delegate that job to one of his guard dogs, but he'd never take that task on himself.

Hillary Clinton just isn't presidential, and this episode further demonstrates this basic problem.

Comment

Nicely said. I think what makes a "good" (read: effective) politician is maintaining unpredictability in the eyes of one's opponents while being able to predict their moves and motives.

It has little to do with ideas on how the world ought to work, and a lot to do with gamesmanship and maneuvering. That, I think, is why people generally bemoan politicians as being lying scum - because the ones that come up for national consideration are the ones most effective at saying they have principles (read: they are not lying scum) while compromising those principles at opportune times.

Regarding Clinton engaging Coulter - it really depends how it plays out. If Clinton can paint Coulter as a regular republican, then (it would be hoped) the undecided middle may move left, because they are incensed at what Coulter says. Of course, the GOP has many options to use to respond to that play. Only time will tell which plays are used, and which ones should've been used instead.

[ma-c2][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by thebleakaffinity
                              What ugly things has Franken said, comparable to things said by Coulter? We have direct quotes from Coulter, but no one's mentioned anything of Franken's.
                              "Rush Limba Is a Big Fat Liar" constantly harps on how fat Rush is. Now I find that funny (and it was factually true) but it is cheap and rather petty.

Also, I can't quote anything but I do remember him saying some nasty things while listening to Air America. Most comments where directed at people of power but a couple did take jabs at the supporters.

I really like Franken, bought two of his books and a book on tape. But he has said some things that where pretty cheap.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X